Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Arroyo Fangraphs Q&A

Arroyo Fangraphs Q&A

Good stuff. Hanny only throws down a 1 or a 2....you telling me Mes can't do that.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...ter-craftsman/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Arroyo Fangraphs Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Good stuff. Hanny only throws down a 1 or a 2....you telling me Mes can't do that.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...ter-craftsman/
    Some really great inside baseball stuff. Thanks

I know you're joking, but that's kinda the point. Mes, or any other catcher, probably can't do that, and be able to catch what Arroyo throws. Mes would probably need a bunch of signs to know exactly what's coming and catch it properly. Hanigan just needs to know if it's a fastball or not.

And as I said before, the pitcher calls his own game, the only reason why the catcher signals for a pitch is to know what's coming. This is a perfect example of it. Arroyo probably likes Hanigan more for the way he catches the ball than the way he calls a game.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Nice. I love the pitcher/catcher/hitter chess game. Especially with finesse guys like Arroyo. He is a real deal "pitcher" vs just a "thrower".

the pitcher calls his own game, the only reason why the catcher signals for a pitch is to know what's coming.
    Since I constantly seek brackish water, I have to say I don't agree with this quote. Not all pitchers get to call their own game. Or or even want to for that matter. And the catcher is in on the gameplan way more than "just to know what's coming".

A veteran catcher is not allowing a young pitcher to shake him off very often, if at all. If a vet is feeling good about all his pitches, and he has trust in his catcher, sometimes he'd rather throw whatever is called for and not think aboout it so he can just flow and pitch.

What's really cool is when a true gem is thrown, almost as a rule, the pitcher will say he and his catcher were in complete lockstep throughout the game. No "real" thinking required by anyone. Just a game of pitch and catch.

Sorry. I rambled. Thanks for the link.
    Last edited by TSJ55; 03-28-2013 at 06:57 AM.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Some really great inside baseball stuff. Thanks

I know you're joking, but that's kinda the point. Mes, or any other catcher, probably can't do that, and be able to catch what Arroyo throws. Mes would probably need a bunch of signs to know exactly what's coming and catch it properly. Hanigan just needs to know if it's a fastball or not.
    Actually, Arroyo points out that most of his catchers do that.

Turn Off Ads?