Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jay Jaffe: 20 ways to improve baseball

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Re: Jay Jaffe: 20 ways to improve baseball

The easiest way to "speed up the game" would not require any changes to the rule book, wouldn't be noticed by the casual fan or most fans at the ballpark and it will never happen. You could shorten baseball by 8 minutes and thirty seconds per game at a minimum, not average, MINIMUM by shortening the half-inning break by thirty-seconds. These breaks are longer than they used to be, and longer than they need to be because of money. Greedy owners trying to get every cent from advertisers that they possibly can, and I think they are wrong. If you were to shorten the game by this 8 and a half minutes and maybe enforce some of the other rules (not automatically granting time between every pitch, not allowing pitchers to stall) could make the game more popular and drive ad prices up; therefore, making more money on fewer commercials. At the very least, they should let pitchers who are ready to pitch start before the media comes back from break.

Like I said: It's never going to happen, but it drives me nuts to hear baseball people complain about the length of games and never mention these crazy-long inning breaks.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

2. Turn Off Ads?

4. The DH rule: It's been discussed in another thread, but I would argue that the dumping the DH rule would get rid of high-paying jobs is a fallacy. Most DHs aren't necessarily old-timers hanging around for a few more at bats. If the AL dumps the DH, most of the guys currently filling that role who want to continue playing will pick up a glove and play 1B, 3B, or LF, and they'll still get paid quite well to do it. If MLB offered to expand rosters to 26 or 27 in exchange for dumping the DH, I would argue the players would be wise to take it because it will actually result in more money going to players rather than less, as teams will have to pay 1-2 more players major league salaries and you'll have more players getting their clock started on becoming arbitration eligible. On the other hand, adding the DH to the NL is likely to tick off a sizable number of fans, possibly resulting in a dip in revenue for NL teams.

6. Culling the Umps: Not going to happen. I don't see why he thinks they can't get rid of the DH because of the Players' Union but they can get rid of umps without having to deal with the Umpires' Union. They tried that before with the umps when the Umps had that crazy strike where they ended up getting rid of their old union and forming a new one. MLB tried to get rid of a good chunk of umps but ended up hiring most of them back after they sued. The players may go on strike, but the umps have proven they're willing to take MLB to court to keep umps in their jobs.

14. Suspensions for DUIs and Domestic Abuse: As a criminal defense attorney, this is another bad idea, at least when it comes to DUIs. While driving under the influence is dangerous, most of the people I deal with are first time offenders who are "low tier" blows (between .08 and .17% blood alcohol content). Most of them are normal law abiding citizens who just made a 1 time mistake and aren't likely to reoffend. They're already getting hit with mandatory minimum jail sentences, fines and drivers' license suspensions required by state law, plus, at least in Ohio, DUIs (called OVIs) are enhanceable, so if they do it again, the penalties increase. Next to the criminal penalties they're facing, their next biggest concern is whether a conviction is going to affect their jobs. I find the most difficult DUI cases to resolve are the ones where my client is facing sanctions from their employer above what the criminal penalties are. Add MLB sanctions to the criminal sanctions and you're going to find players charged with DUI taking cases all the way to trial or seeking to wear down the prosecution to try to get a deal for reckless operation. The criminal courts in most populated areas are already jammed up and under serious docket pressure as it is. If MLB is concerned about players who get DUIs or Domestic Abuse charges, they'd better serve baseball and the community by providing them with alcohol and anger management counseling rather than sticking their nose into the criminal justice system when it doesn't affect the play of baseball (exception: illegal drug use and gambling on baseball, which do affect the play of baseball). Help players come to grips with mistakes they make outside baseball and avoid reoffending rather than giving them one more incentive to deny and fight their case to the hilt.

20. Tacos?: Tacos at the ballpark are all fine and good if you're in a region with a large Mexican population that understands what good tacos are. I suspect in most stadiums, if you want tacos, they'd probably just bring in Taco Bell to operate a stand. So if you're expecting those awesome (or so I hear) fish tacos from San Diego to go nationwide, don't be disappointed when you end up with the Doritos Locos Tacos you can get at the neighborhood Taco Bell. I'd rather teams keep bringing in local specialities. If I'm going to GABP, I'd rather have Skyline or some Goetta than a taco. If I'm in Pittsburgh, It's Primanti Bros. sandwiches and pierogies. Don't take up valuable concessions real estate with mediocre fare.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I can on board with his idea of expanding to Montreal and Puerto Rico. PR wouldn't be too bad of a travel time and it would be huge down there. With Montreal, it seemed to run into bad stadium circumstances when a team was there. If there is a legit stadium and not the joke it had, baseball could work in Montreal again. There are a lot of baseball fans up there.
    If only Montreal had built Labatt Park. Though Jackie Robinson Field would be a good name for it too.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    If only Montreal had built Labatt Park. Though Jackie Robinson Field would be a good name for it too.
    I'd be cool with MLB back in Montreal. Loria did his best to kill it, especially by refusing to sign a deal for French language broadcasts. Still can't believe they let that guy take over the Marlins after what he did to Montreal.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

6. Likes:

Tom Servo (03-28-2013)

You have to split out the back, Jack.

Make a new plan, Stan.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

8. Likes:

757690 (03-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    That would have been a beautiful park with that skyline. Do you think baseball would work in MTL again?
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

Personally I prefer Hunter S. Thompson's ideas

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?id=860846
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Improve the game?

Novelty Hats

that's how you improve the game

More improvements:

Bacon Wrapped Hotdogs in every ballpark.

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    More improvements:

Bacon Wrapped Hotdogs in every ballpark.
    with a punch card for a free heart bypass for every ten purchased.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    with a punch card for a free heart bypass for every ten purchased.
    It's almost worth it, lol.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/04/h...ml#show-153369
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 03-28-2013 at 06:14 PM.

Mike Shannon

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

#5 No. No. A thousand times no.

Anybody who wants that has never sat in a MLB ballpark while the umpiring crew trotted off the field for several minutes to look at a replay.

The only way to prevent expanded replay from working that way is to have a fifth umpire who sits off the field and only reviews replays. MLB owners won't ever go for that, and without it, the use of replay is too disruptive to the flow of the game. Personally, I think that would be a DH-like gig that would be sweet for old umpires, but MLB won't pay for more umps.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Improve the game?

Novelty Hats

that's how you improve the game
    Are you saying Marge Schott was ahead of her time?

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    #5 No. No. A thousand times no.

Anybody who wants that has never sat in a MLB ballpark while the umpiring crew trotted off the field for several minutes to look at a replay.

The only way to prevent expanded replay from working that way is to have a fifth umpire who sits off the field and only reviews replays. MLB owners won't ever go for that, and without it, the use of replay is too disruptive to the flow of the game. Personally, I think that would be a DH-like gig that would be sweet for old umpires, but MLB won't pay for more umps.
    This is going to happen in the next 10 years. With the "extra umpire". Ideally, it will work like the NHL does it with a few guys in New York (at the commissioners office) who only watch replays as their job.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    This is going to happen in the next 10 years. With the "extra umpire". Ideally, it will work like the NHL does it with a few guys in New York (at the commissioners office) who only watch replays as their job.
    If you're using the NHL as a model for officiating you might want to look else where. It has, with no debate, the worst officiating in professional sports. It's a joke, even more than NBA refs.

Mike Shannon

Turn Off Ads?