Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jay Jaffe: 20 ways to improve baseball

Re: Jay Jaffe: 20 ways to improve baseball

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    If you're using the NHL as a model for officiating you might want to look else where. It has, with no debate, the worst officiating in professional sports. It's a joke, even more than NBA refs.
    I am simply using their goal review process as a model, where rather than the guys at the game going over to some small tv's and figuring out a goal/non-goal, a few guys in a room in NYC do it for everyone on real TV's.

It is the best option for replay. Almost every time there is a disputed call, us at home have seen 5 replays before the next play even starts or the manager even gets out there to start arguing. It is stupid that it isn't already happening.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    That would have been a beautiful park with that skyline. Do you think baseball would work in MTL again?
    I would like to think so. Seeing games there in 94 before the strike was just electric. The last few years Loria did so much damage I wonder if he killed any chance for it to come back. I haven't been up to Montreal in a few years unfortunately. I need to make the drive soon, it is only 3 hours or so from here.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I would like to think so. Seeing games there in 94 before the strike was just electric. The last few years Loria did so much damage I wonder if he killed any chance for it to come back. I haven't been up to Montreal in a few years unfortunately. I need to make the drive soon, it is only 3 hours or so from here.
    I've also heard that the local government made it hard for the Expos to improve on anything as far as infrastructure goes.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Puerto Rico can't support a winter league. It was shut down a few years ago and only recently reopened. There's not enough money on the island to support a MLB team. There's probably more fandom/money in Santo Domingo or Caracas (but I wouldn't do that either).

The DH is a universally bad idea. I find it incredible that the justification for adopting it in the NL seems to go back to the MLBPA's alleged reluctance to its elimination in the AL and not whether or not it improves the game.

No need to "cull the umps" if you go with robo-ump. Automate the strike zone.

Otherwise, Ok...I guess we're waiting for the season to start.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

6. Likes:

Chip R (03-28-2013)

Obviously, a lot of these ideas (like the Puerto Rican one) are monetarily driven and can't just be instated on a whim. I like a lot of them, particularly those related to PEDs. I'm a strong believer in the idea that a more significant monetary punishment is far greater incentive to actually solving the problem than constantly fretting over who gets in the Hall. I'm just about ready for the DH as well; the idea that the AL play is inherently superior for it is absolutely grating. I'd prefer it not be around in general (it's inherently disadvantageous to lower-income teams), but there's too much money riding on guys like Adam Dunn for it to ever be eliminated.
    Last edited by The DARK; 03-28-2013 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    Obviously, a lot of these ideas (like the Puerto Rican one) are monetarily driven and can't just be instated on a whim. I like a lot of them, particularly those related to PEDs. I'm a strong believer in the idea that a more significant monetary punishment is far greater incentive to actually solving the problem than constantly fretting over who gets in the Hall. I'm just about ready for the DH as well; the idea that the AL play is inherently superior for it is absolutely grating. I'd prefer it not be around in general (it's inherently disadvantageous to lower-income teams), but there's too much money riding on guys like Adam Dunn for it to ever be eliminated.
    Adam Dunn will still make money. He'll just have to pick up a glove again and whoever has him will learn the joys of his play in left field. As long as his bat is productive, there will always be teams willing to sign him.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    There's not enough money on the island to support a MLB team.
    A million times this. They also wouldn't be able to compete for free agents in a similar way to how the NBA's Canadian franchises can't/couldn't.
    I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.

THe team in PR is a nice thought - who wouldn't want to go see the Reds play there. There were so many good ideas, esp the blackout rules needing changed, Opening day being a national holiday & restoring the first game to the Reds. But those 2 don't really impact the game. I think MLB should concentrate in the area of calling balls & strikes (quicker & better) and speeding up the game. Also, would have to agree with the idea of laying more stats on the TV screen
    Pete Rose will be leaving the Montreal Expos to become player - manager for the Cincinnati Reds

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    What about on TV?

I am not so sure I want WAR up there, because I have my own little issues with WAR.

But let's just say we are limiting it to TV. I get why you used to only put 3 things on the screen.... it was a 24 inch screen. While there are still people out there who have small televisions, most people these days have at least a 30+ inch television that is HD. You can afford to fit more information on it. So what information would you put on there when a hitter comes to the plate? What about when a pitcher takes the mound? Starters and relievers will have different info.
    I am for expanding advanced stats on the TV broadcast. I think the issue to push that forward is with each individual broadcaster or an edict from the owners. I think Chris Welch does a pretty good job of diving into stuff like babip during a broadcast and determining whether or not someone is lucky. I would imagine the vast majority of viewing audience could care less about advanced stats and just want to watch the game.

No. 1: Cut down the time between pitches. No more stepping out after every pitch, or circling the mound. It's ridiculous we have reached this point.

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-29-2013), REDREAD (03-29-2013)

I've never had an issue with the length of games.

Four hour's watching baseball is four hours I don't have to deal with "real" life.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

15. Likes:

Captain13 (03-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I've never had an issue with the length of games.

Four hour's watching baseball is four hours I don't have to deal with "real" life.
    I agree with you on this. I at least thing the whole "length of the game" argument is overblown considering that most sports are 3 hours plus. Regardless of what sport you're watching, it's going to take a chunk of your day away.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I am for expanding advanced stats on the TV broadcast. I think the issue to push that forward is with each individual broadcaster or an edict from the owners. I think Chris Welch does a pretty good job of diving into stuff like babip during a broadcast and determining whether or not someone is lucky. I would imagine the vast majority of viewing audience could care less about advanced stats and just want to watch the game.
    You are probably right that a majority of people just want to watch the game. But I also think it is better for the game to promote the advanced stats for younger people who may want to know more, but don't know where to even start. Today, there is a dramatic "stop talking to me about this" that goes on with players when talking about advanced stats. They didn't grow up with them, so they don't really get it nor care to. But what if we have the next generation with 25% of the guys who grew up with it?

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    I agree with almost every point except #4. I still hate the DH.
    Agreed. And I'm not giving up the fight against making the change. It would be a terrible mistake. I also disagree that the NL is hurt by the two different rules. Maybe that's true of the marginal NL teams, but not the elite NL teams.

The NL has won the World Series in 5 of the last 7 years and 7 of the last 12 years, and I don't see a compelling argument that this was a fluke.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I have to take on giving interleague play any place in revenue growth. The wildcard I think is legitimate, but interleague play does not provide any appreciable additional revenue. The attendance boom has come from multimedia exposure to the game, and the professional leagues in general.

Which leads to the revised blackout rules, which the above just proves that the original idea that increased local exposure would lead to decreased attendance was as dumb as it sounds.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Turn Off Ads?