Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Jay Jaffe: 20 ways to improve baseball

Re: Jay Jaffe: 20 ways to improve baseball

I would like to see the WBC played shortly after the World Series every two years. Then you dont have to rush players in Feb and extend Spring Training!! Not to mention watch injuries hurt that player's AL/NL team at the start of the season.
    Plus you let the fans vote online for their respective country. Each country involved can list their country's players and what positions (OF would be the same as it is voting for the All-Star Teams in the US). Plus you make it so those that vote , 5 winners will get tickets to every event. The players have to tell who will participate if elected. To enhance their chances, they will get paid to play in it. Each round gets them more salary etc..start small and enhance as they win as a team. then play games in locations to get fans to show..Seeing a mostly empty stadium doesnt help. stadiums with roofs would have to be used to keep the cold out during November..Say Seattle, Arizona, Houston could be choices along with Japan as they have a dome. Or even PuertoRico/Mexico etc. Plus i love #1, and also let Pete in the HOF as well.. he didnt bet as a player but as a manager!! his 4000 + hits were legit!!.. anyway i hope they get a commissioner that isnt like Selig.. he wasnt the greatest.. And i feel the DH will soon be a part oif the game with so many inter league games, the AL will ask for it for all

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm surprised 'shortening the season' hasn't coming up.

IMO #1 is the easiest and most influential thing MLB can do. Having Opening Day at 4 o'clock on a freaking Monday is insane. Why not having it on a Thursday night? People can take off work on Friday and I can still make it to the game with plenty of time to celebrate with friends before. I thought having OD on Thursday last year as a step in the right direction until MLB decided to have it on Monday again.

Again, I just can't believe that MLB starts the season like they have been doing. It's mind-numbing.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am simply using their goal review process as a model, where rather than the guys at the game going over to some small tv's and figuring out a goal/non-goal, a few guys in a room in NYC do it for everyone on real TV's.

It is the best option for replay. Almost every time there is a disputed call, us at home have seen 5 replays before the next play even starts or the manager even gets out there to start arguing. It is stupid that it isn't already happening.
    I was thinking about this exact model during the Astros / Rangers opener when the umps left the field to review whether a double off the wall was actually a home run. Anyone watching the broadcast knew with 100% confidence within 5 seconds that the ball did not leave the yard.

Yet, the umpires still had to leave the field to go watch a replay.

Why?

It's 2013. With today's advanced technology, this is the best system we can implement? Why not put a lesser-paid review official (RO) at each game who sits in front of a TV monitor. He would have seen the replay just as quickly as I did, and would have determined it was not a home run just as quickly as I did. Give the crew chief a headset so the RO can communicate with him. Or heck, put a CB radio on his arm like a cop so he can request a review and get a response immediately.

If we don't want to equip the crew chief with a headset or 2-way radio, then give the RO three flags. A green flag means play stands. A red flag means play is reversed/incorrect. A yellow flag means further review is required. This could be done in 10 seconds or less when the play stands. (If the ump is red/green color blind, use white, black, and yellow.)

If MLB doesn't want to pay for this extra person at each game, then hire one or two people that operate remotely as ROs for all games. The crew chief would need some kind of device, like a Bat Signal, to trigger a review request. The remote ROs would instantly watch the replay and, in most cases, render an immediate determination. The whole process from request, to review, to determination should take less than 20 seconds and the umps never have to leave the field.

I did not know the NHL already implements this seemingly obvious solution. Why is MLB not taking notes?
    Last edited by Cant Touch This; 04-02-2013 at 01:34 PM.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

www.OnCampusSports.com -- college sports covered by college students

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Touch This View Post
    Why is MLB not taking notes?
    Baseball is full of "old think" and they resist change so hard that it hurts.

Unfortunately, when they do make changes, they're mostly cosmetic or gimmicks made with the mistaken belief that it will attract more fans. The main thing they can do to improve baseball is solve the revenue/salary imbalance between teams and ensure a more equal distribution of star talent across the league. Fans of the Pirates, Royals and Indians might be more interested in coming to the park and watching on TV if they know they can see top players playing for the home team without fear they'll be off to New York, Boston or LA when their contracts are up.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

After railing about that reality for years (esp wrt the intransigence about instant replay, Pete Rose, Shoeless Joe and countless other things), I had a chance to meet Bruce Weber, who authored a great book about the shadowy world of umpiring. He brought Ted Barrett and Jim Evans with him for a talk and it was really a bit eye-opening in understanding why the obvious isn't what always happens. If you haven't seen or read this book, I'd strongly recommend it. Very educational and fascinating.

http://www.amazon.com/As-They-See-Em...dp/B004H8GMF8/
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    None of these deal with baseball's biggest problems: the lack of consistency in calling balls and strikes and the ridiculous amount of time it takes to play a game. And the two are related: make hitters swing at pitches and we will speed up the process.
    Agree. I got excited on Opening Day when the first pitch was called a strike letter-high, then the guy proceeded to squeeze all the pitchers the rest of the day/night.

Call strikes (and borderline strikes). Get people swinging the bats.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Unfortunately, when they do make changes, they're mostly cosmetic or gimmicks made with the mistaken belief that it will attract more fans. The main thing they can do to improve baseball is solve the revenue/salary imbalance between teams and ensure a more equal distribution of star talent across the league. Fans of the Pirates, Royals and Indians might be more interested in coming to the park and watching on TV if they know they can see top players playing for the home team without fear they'll be off to New York, Boston or LA when their contracts are up.
    That's a great idea if you want to turn MLB into a watered down league like the NFL.

10. Likes:

westofyou (04-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    That's a great idea if you want to turn MLB into a watered down league like the NFL.
    And yet the NFL manages to make money hand over fist, even in markets as small as Green Bay, and the team in Pittsburgh has won the most Super Bowls. Teams in the NFL succeed or struggle based on their ability to identify and develop talent. Meanwhile, half the teams in MLB always seem to be faced with the challenge of not only identifying and developing talent, but trying to get the most of that talent before it get's too expensive. Fans in those cities have to deal with the fact that the players they cheer for are going to be gone as soon as they hit the free agent market, or sometimes even when they become arbitration eligible. The Indians can go from a team that sold out 455 games to a team with one of the worst attendances in baseball, all because fans get sick of having to watch their best talent get siphoned off by the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Angels, etc. Yet, in the NFL, even the worst teams can still sell out games. Why? Because in the NFL, fans of every team have hope that, even if the team is bad one season, they have a shot to get better and they know that if the team pulls in a top draft pick, it will be able to keep that player for the long haul if it wishes to do so.

I feel that a professional sports league, which is a cartel and not a collection of independent businesses as some like to portray it, is only as strong as its weakest franchise. It is in the best interest of the league and all its owners to ensure that the sport thrives not only in the biggest markets, but in the smallest as well. Why? Because the real competition for the league isn't on the field, but for the discretionary spending of consumers. Fans aren't choosing whether to go to an Indians game or a Reds game. They're choosing between spending money on Indians tickets, or saving for Browns or Cavs tickets, or choosing to go to the movies more often. They aren't choosing to watch the Royals or the Cardinals on TV. They're choosing whether to watch the Royals or watch Sporting KC or catch up on Homeland or Game of Thrones.

MLB's product is baseball, not the New York Yankees or Boston Red Sox, and its goal should be to put the best product on the field in as many markets as possible. The NFL seems to understand that. As of yet, I feel Bud Selig and co. do not.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

For the record, I'm not terribly worried about the length of games or the excitement level. I find baseball as it is much more interesting that basketball, hockey, golf or NASCAR. But if you really want to speed up games and/or make them more exciting, how about these to changes:

1. Decrease the number of balls for a walk from 4 to 3, decreasing the amount of pitches thrown per at-bat and forcing pitchers to throw more strikes.

2. Decrease the number of fielders from 9 to 8, to encourage more doubles, triples and inside-the-park home runs.

I don't necessarily condone these changes, but they'd certainly have a bigger impact on the game than adding the DH to the NL or messing with the umps.

http://bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/0...ml#skip-target

One more chance for Major League Baseball in Montreal?

Why not? Washington had the Senators (twice) and then got the Nationals. Milwaukee had the Braves and then waited to get the Brewers. Seattle had the Pilots before the Mariners.

Former Expos star Warren Cromartie started his campaign to bring a major league club back to Montreal about a year ago. Big money is being spent to accumulate data to determine if Montreal could sustain a major league team almost nine years after the Expos moved to Washington.
    Leblanc, who thinks the team would have to be in the American League, feels natural rivalries would be formed with the Red Sox, Blue Jays, and Yankees.

How could this be accomplished? Would baseball ever expand again? Would the Rays, who can’t draw in Tampa, consider a move to Montreal? The problem for the Expos, with all of their talent, was that they couldn’t draw.

For now, MLB has not commented on Montreal’s exploration, waiting until the data is in.

The group already has commissioned architects to look into a downtown retractable-roof stadium, which Leblanc wants built with private financing, and he believes there’s enough interest in the business community to make it happen.

Cromartie, a South Florida radio talk show host who played for the Expos for 7 years, gets the feeling that people in Montreal want baseball back. “They miss it. It was never about the fans, it was about the leadership, and except for Charles Bronfman, who was the only leader they ever had here, they didn’t have it,” said Cromartie.

“We have a lot to prove and we know that. It’s a long shot, but it’s a shot I’m willing to take so that we can have all of our facts and data together and present it to Major League Baseball.

“Montreal is a major league city. It has a [metropolitan] population of more than 4 million. It’s so much different than eight years ago. We have the population, the corporate presence, the hunger by the population that misses baseball and misses talking about baseball. I look at it like a scout. Montreal is a five-tool city. We have rich baseball history. Jackie Robinson played here.”

Turn Off Ads?