Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Opening Day Roster (who's in, who's out?)

Re: Opening Day Roster (who's in, who's out?)

I'd have more faith that Parra could convert to a useful short reliever if he had shown any inkling of that ability during ST. He looks like a work in progress and AAA is the place for a work in progress on a team with designs on winning its division.

He's got no business as a long reliever. I'm hoping Lecure gets a lot of the multi-inning assignments as he's one of the best in business in that role. IMO, long man is not a throwaway assignment and I'd like to Lecure get used a bit like Scott Sullivan back in the day.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (03-31-2013),pahster (03-31-2013),remdog (04-01-2013),texasdave (03-31-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

M2- agree completely.
    Last edited by holster10; 03-31-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Parra is a LHP who has trouble getting LHBs out.
    Manny Parra had much more success vs LHH in 2012, his first whole season as a reliever.

Another point -- Parra does well with the FIP stat. He had a 3.62 FIP last season. Much better than Arredondo who had a 4.27 FIP.

It may be that the Reds feel with its superior defense, Parra will do better.

On an XFIP basis, Parra and Jose are closer, but I don't like to use stats that neutralize for HRs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Another point -- Parra does well with the FIP stat. He had a 3.62 FIP last season. Much better than Arredondo who had a 4.27 FIP.

It may be that the Reds feel with its superior defense, Parra will do better.

On an XFIP basis, Parra and Jose are closer, but I don't like to use stats that neutralize for HRs.
    This will also be Parra's second season back from TJ and may be ready to take a step forward. He was highly touted at one point and his stats are largely skewed by pitching with a bad elbow and recovering from surgery. I wouldn't bet on huge improvement, but I do think that Parra is a better choice to go 3 innings when the starter has been knocked out and the Reds are down 7-1 or something like that. If the starter leaves early in a close game, they can use Lecure and Hoover to eat those innings, but why waste them in a blow-out? Parra will be OK as a LOOGY who doubles as the 12th man mop-up guy. I don't think Arredondo could go more than an inning in that role.

As far as depth gies, I don't really consider Parra, Simon, Ondrusek or Arredondo a candiate to move into a bigger role if some one like Broxton or Marshall goes down. IMO, if those guys go down, Cingrani or Corcino should be the choice (or maybe Ravin if he can harness his 100 MPH stuff). If one of the mop-up guys goes down, there is plenty of mop-up depth on the farm in the likes of Hensley, Galarragga or maybe even Mark Prior. It's no big loss if the Reds lose one or two of the fringe relievers. IMO, they aren't cadidates for any of the top 10 spots on the staff.
    Last edited by mth123; 03-31-2013 at 01:26 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    As far as depth goes, I don't really consider Parra, Simon, Ondrusek or Arredondo a candiate to move into a bigger role if some one like Broxton or Marshall goes down.

It's no big loss if the Reds lose one or two of the fringe relievers.
    Good points. They're all pretty fungible when you get right down to it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

The deadline is 3 PM Eastern time today. 25 man rosters must be final by then. So this endless discussion should end soon, followed by a few hours discussing the decisions.

Then finally some baseball.

10. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-31-2013)

Come on....just make the decision already. Tom Hall gets designated for assignment and they take Rawly Eastwick and/or Will McEnaney with them to Cincy....do we take John Vukovich or Doug Flynn?

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    But Parra is left-handed and has a long history as a starter. That might have pushed him over the top, despite his porous spring.
    Agreed. Reds could also be thinking (besides LOOGY/long relief) that Parra could spot start or even be the 5th starter should anyone get injured or if Leake implodes.

Donald, Arredondo both didn't make it. Ondrusek sent down. Burriss sent down. Masset DL'd.

Parra, Izturis, Hoover make the team. That's it in short.

In Donald's case it is a DFA. Arredondo was outrighted.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-31-2013 at 03:10 PM.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Ondrusek to Pensacola.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Ondrusek to Pensacola.
    Correct, but I'm guessing he winds up in Louisville.

3/31, optioned to Pensacola RHP Logan Ondrusek
    placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to 3/22, RHP Nick Masset
    outrighted to Louisville RHP Jose Arredondo.

3/30, designated for assignment IF Jason Donald
    selected the contract of IF Cesar Izturis
    reassigned to minor league camp IF Emmanuel Burriss, C Corky Miller, OF Denis Phipps and OF Derrick Robinson.

17. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (03-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    He was sent down and DL'd, so I don't think the Pensacola thing means anything. Just roster management.
    I don't see anything about a dl for Logan. The dl assignment was for Masset.

I'd have kept Arredondo over Parra.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?