Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Opening Day Roster (who's in, who's out?)

Re: Opening Day Roster (who's in, who's out?)

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Frankly, I'm a little concerned about Cueto's +7.00 e.r.a., but nobody else is because it's SPRING TRAINING.
    Cueto 2013 spring training - 6 starts, 5.16 ERA (not sure why you are not counting his last start of 6 scoreless innings on 3/26)
    Cueto 2012 spring training - 5 starts, 4.95 ERA
    Cueto 2011 spring training - 4 starts, 6.00 ERA
    Cueto 2010 spring training - 5 starts, 5.40 ERA

You are literally "a little concerned" over nothing.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

bigredmechanism (04-01-2013),Homer Bailey (04-01-2013),OnBaseMachine (03-31-2013),RadfordVA (03-30-2013),redsmetz (03-31-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

We could be waiting on a trade here.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...at-im-hearing/
    The Reds haven’t announced their roster yet. But I’m pretty sure Cesar Izturis, Manny Parra and Alfredo Simon made it.

What I don’t know is how they opened the roster spots. Jason Donald is out of options, so the Reds would have to put him on the disabled list or designate him for assignment to get Izturis on the roster.

If Parra and Simon made it, that would mean Logan Ondrusek and Jose Arredondo are out. Ondrusek has options. Arredondo is out of options.

Nevermind
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Manny Parra? I hope not. I would never take him over Arredondo. Why are the Reds enamored with this guy? Well, the line up has been Dusty-proofed.....but maybe not the pen.
    Last edited by holster10; 03-31-2013 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by holster10 View Post
    Manny Parra? I hope not. Why are the Reds enamored with this guy?
    I know. But manage by the book Dusty has that flaw that he must have an actual LHP....even if it was Joe Horner. 1977 Joe Horner.

Manny Parra? I hope not. I would never take him over Arredondo. Why are the Reds enamored with this guy?
    As I've pointed out on other threads -

Arredondo walks over 5 men per 9 innings.

Walt has to have a bad taste from Arredondo's second half last year. He wasn't helpful down the stretch.

Parra and Simon can eat a lot of innings. With five excellent main relievers, the other two (Simon and Parra) can cover the blowouts with long stints.

Those would be the reasons. As I said awhile ago, wouldn't be suprised if Jose got traded for a decent minor league prospect.

Izturis over Donald would be interesting. Wonder if Reds would find a way to keep Donald, like the DL. He has said his knee is ok. Would be surprised if they just let him go.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-31-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Parra is not an innings eater. A 5.12 ERA and control/ walk problems (heavy on the walks) will not eat many innings and still keep you in the game. True, Arrendondo does walk too many but his stats are dramatically better than Parra's. My argument is please tell me how this improves the bullpen. The Brewers aren't known for having good bullpens and they let the guy walk, and with good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Walt has to have a bad taste from Arredondo's second half last year. He wasn't helpful down the stretch.

Parra and Simon can eat a lot of innings. With five excellent main relievers, the other two (Simon and Parra) can cover the blowouts with long stints.
    Arredondo walked 6 in 12 innings this spring. His ERA might have been nice, but he was still having the same problems as last season. Not sure Parra is better, but like you said, he can go longer, which might have been the difference maker.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Also, Parra is actually left-handed and despite Arredondo's splits, the Reds appear to want two lefties (non-closers) in their bullpen. They signed Parra for $1.4 million I believe. I know that's not much for an MLB player, but it was still going to take a lot for the Reds to cut him. If they did cut him, they'd be down to one lefty in the pen to use before the 9th inning (Marshall). I always felt Parra was a lock to make the roster. Then I started to doubt it when he had a bad spring. Sounds like the Reds' brass had their minds already made up he was going to make the team no matter what.

All I am saying is Parra doesn't have the proven track record to make the Reds pen better. Lefty or not, he's a very flawed pitcher. I was reading some Milwaukee press about him and it's sounds like they got really frustrated with him because of his control issues. Now if he had gone out and shown some degree of improvement this spring I would be more encouraged, but he did not. I know you guys are trying to rationalize his fit with this team and it ain't working. Having a LHP just for the sake of having a warm body works only for a minor league team or a second division MLB team.
    Last edited by holster10; 03-31-2013 at 02:16 PM.

14. Likes:

remdog (04-01-2013)

Parra is not an innings eater. A 5.12 ERA and control/ walk problems (heavy on the walks) will not eat many innings and still keep you in the game. True, Arrendondo does walk too many but his stats are dramatically better than Parra's. My argument is please tell me how this improves the bullpen. The Brewers aren't known for having good bullpens and they let the guy walk, and with good reason.
    Parra is an innings eater in the sense that he is a lifetime starting pitcher. He can combine the long man role with occasional LOOGY services.

His lifetime numbers are not good. But he did strike out 9.5 per nine innings last year in relief.

Sometimes the pitching coach sees something that can improve a pitcher's numbers. Alfredo Simon is an example. If they keep Parra it's because Price likes his stuff and thinks he can be useful in this role.

IMO a GM's job is not simply look at the player's baseball card and assume the future will be the same.

As long as the Reds keep Hoover, who is a fifth superior reliever, I fully understand if they choose Parra to go with Simon for the last spots.

16. Likes:

mth123 (03-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Those would be the reasons. As I said awhile ago, wouldn't be suprised if Jose got traded for a decent minor league prospect.

Izturis over Donald would be interesting. Wonder if Reds would find a way to keep Donald, like the DL. He has said his knee is ok. Would be surprised if they just let him go.
    Definitely agree on Arredondo. I've never been a big fan because it always seems to be "hold your breath" time when he enters.

Parra is a LHP who has trouble getting LHBs out.

All I am saying is Parra doesn't have the proven track record to make the Reds pen better. Lefty or not, he's a very flawed pitcher. I was reading some Milwaukee press about him and it's sounds like they got really frustrated with him because of his control issues. Now if he had gone out and shown some degree of improvement this spring I would be more encouraged, but he did not.
    Right, but keep in mind he's in a head-to-head roster battle with Arredondo, who is also a "flawed pitcher" with "control issues."

It's not like the Reds are keeping Parra instead of Hoover. They're keeping Parra (at least we think they're keeping Parra) over Arredondo. Either guy is going to frustrate the hell out of you with walks. But Parra is left-handed and has a long history as a starter. That might have pushed him over the top, despite his porous spring.

Turn Off Ads?