Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Opening Day Roster (who's in, who's out?)

Re: Opening Day Roster (who's in, who's out?)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    You'll have to explain to me how a guy who hasn't posted an OB above .300 since 2008 qualifies as a solid anything. And he's played a grand total of 18 games at positions other than SS in those years, so I don't see where he qualifies as much of a utility player either.
    He can play second and third as well or better as any other utility player.

If he could hit just a little better, he'd be a starter on many MLB teams.

Give me a list of backup SS who are better than Izturis. It's going to be a very short list, and the improvement over him will be slight, I guarantee.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    He can play second and third as well or better as any other utility player.
    How would you know? He barely ever does it.

If he could hit just a little better, he'd be a starter on many MLB teams.
    He had a .254 OB last year, .250 the year before. He's lucky to be in the majors and really shouldn't be with a stick that poor.

Give me a list of backup SS who are better than Izturis. It's going to be a very short list, and the improvement over him will be slight, I guarantee.
    Anyone young with some upside and some actual versatility. Alex Gonzalez, John McDonald (freaky good with the glove), Ramon Santiago, Nick Punto, Jamey Carroll, Joaquin Arias - list is getting long, you get the point. Honestly, you'd be hard-pressed to come up with many players I wouldn't prefer.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

You'll have to explain to me how a guy who hasn't posted an OB above .300 since 2008 qualifies as a solid anything. And he's played a grand total of 18 games at positions other than SS in those years, so I don't see where he qualifies as much of a utility player either.
    Caesar is to utility players what the Swiss Army knife is to fish scalers. The possibility is there but the use has been severely limited

How would you know? He barely ever does it.
    I was in Az for two weeks. I saw him play 2B and 3B numerous times with great skill and aptitude. If you don't believe me, need to see it with your own eyes, fine, because it really doesn't matter. The Reds have Hannahan to cover the utility spot. Izturis is on the roster to back up Cozart.

Izturis really is not the utility guy, he's the backup SS. Compared to other teams' backup SS, he's right in the middle of the pack. He sucks with the bat, but solid with the glove.

Anyone young with some upside and some actual versatility. Alex Gonzalez, John McDonald (freaky good with the glove), Ramon Santiago, Nick Punto, Jamey Carroll, Joaquin Arias - list is getting long, you get the point. Honestly, you'd be hard-pressed to come up with many players I wouldn't prefer.
    Which Alex Gonzalez? lol The one still playing with a .292 lifetime OBP?
    John McDonald with a lifetime .276 OBP?
    Ramon Santiago, making $1.5M, with a lifetime .313 OBP and a .645 OPS?
    Nick Punto, also making $1.5M who can't play SS, but hits like one?
    Jamey Carroll, I agree is better, but so do the Twins because they signed him to a two year$7M contract last season.
    Joaguin Arias, I agree is better. That's one.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

I'd rather the back-up defender at SS be stashed at AAA, but given the competition, there really wasn't another. Burris is more of a second baseman and Donald just isn't a SS. If Izturis was indicating he'd walk unless he got a major league gig, they almost had to keep him. There really isn't another option to play SS 5 days per week if Cozart goes down. Izturis doesn't really offer much as a bench player, but he's the only guy who would avoid a disaster to the pitching staff (think Jeff Keppeinger at SS) should Cozart go down.

As for the Izturis, Burris, Donald competition, Izturis glove is really the only plus tool that any of them possess. It's not like they sent down Joe Morgan to make room.
    Last edited by mth123; 04-01-2013 at 10:20 PM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...ssignment.html

Mariners Designate Casper Wells For Assignment
    By Edward Creech [March 31, 2013 at 3:07pm CST]
    The Mariners have designated outfielder Casper Wells for assignment, tweets Greg Johns of MLB.com. The Mariners now have ten days to either trade, release, or outright Wells to the minors. If Wells clears waivers, he cannot elect free agency because he does not have enough service time and has not been designated for assignment before, reports the Seattle Times' Larry Stone (Twitter link). The Phillies and Tigers could have interest in the 28-year-old. Wells was a member of the Tigers until he was traded to the Mariners in the Doug Fister deal in July 2011.

8. Likes:

M2 (04-03-2013)

Would Casper Wells be worth a waiver claim?

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    Would Casper Wells be worth a waiver claim?
    Yes. Hits lefty pitchng and teams may load up now with Choo, Votto and Bruce anchoring the line-up and Hanahan and Paul anchoring the bench. GABP may be good for a medium power type like Wells who was suppressed in Seattle and the AL West.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

I was in Az for two weeks. I saw him play 2B and 3B numerous times with great skill and aptitude.
    I saw him miss a ball on Monday night I expect every SS to get. What you think you saw in ST does not necessarily translate.

Which Alex Gonzalez? lol The one still playing with a .292 lifetime OBP?
    And that's way better than Izturis who's now in .250 OB territory. Gonzalez has a better glove and more pop. Seriously, you're not allowed to mock other low OB players when you're trying to claim that a guy with a .250 OB is a good player.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Minor Moves: Donald, Berken, Gartrell
    By Tim Dierkes [April 4 at 5:22pm CST]
    Today's minor moves...

Reds infielder Jason Donald cleared waivers and was outrighted to Triple-A, according to the International League transactions page. He'd been designated for assignment on Sunday. The 28-year-old hit .277/.365/.441 in 296 Triple-A plate appearances last year.

So far Jason Donald is 6-for-13 with four doubles in three games with Louisville. I was happy to see him clear waivers and stay in the organization. Hopefully he'll take Izturis spot on the roster soon.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Turn Off Ads?