Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Opening Day Roster (who's in, who's out?)

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Opening Day Roster (who's in, who's out?)

Fay just said as of 5 minutes ago via Twitter that the final roster decisions have still not been made. Sounds like they have a tough decision (or two) to make and are torn.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I think Hoover and Simon both have the club made. Just sensed that tonight's pitchers all are going north.

The last guy in the pen is probably Arredondo but I still think he could get moved - if the Reds want to keep Parra as a LOOGY/long man. Note: Article on Reds.com lists Parra as pitching relief in tomorrow's "A" game at Chase Field.

I'm expecting Ondrusek to be sent down. They've been saying his velocity has dropped, hopefully he's not injured.

I wouldn't even guess at this point who the final bench infielder will be. Izturis had the best spring, but I have no clue. They all played tonight.
    Agreed with everything you say here. Also, Izturis didn't just have the best spring, I think he was the odds-on favorite all along over Jason Donald because of what he can bring defensively at SS. If Cozart gets a minor injury and has to go on the 15-day DL, who do we want starting for those 12-13 games at short -- Izturis or Donald? I know Donald has the better stick, but I would want the better glove in that situation. And Izturis proved this spring he won't completely kill us at the plate. They gave him a ton of ABs which is another reason I think he'll make the squad.

Now that I said all that, I fully expect Izturis to get a pink slip. Haha. (Not really. I do think he'll make the Opening Day roster.)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

As much as I like Xavier Paul, I have this developing affection for Derrick Robinson. Wish rosters were bigger. I'd love to keep him in case Choo has some injuries.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    As much as I like Xavier Paul, I have this developing affection for Derrick Robinson. Wish rosters were bigger. I'd love to keep him in case Choo has some injuries.
    Don't get me wrong, I think Robinson could actually help someone out. I am just not sure it is this team, at least not right now. He brings speed off of the bench and he can play a good center, but I don't think he is going to get time in center over Heisey when Choo needs rest or is replaced late defensively. He isn't a good bat, so he doesn't bring you much there. He is a defense and speed guy. Heisey fills that role pretty well already and Heisey can also hit a little bit. Paul, while not as defensive or able to bring real speed off of the bench, isn't a slow guy either and at least in the past, has shown he can hit in the minors and last year in the Majors.

Robinson is playing in the "B" game today. Everyone else in the lineup will start the season in the minors. Draw your own conclusions.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

FWIW, Brandon has the day off and the starter at second is Cesar Izturis in the "A" Game.

Fay just tweeted that Reds decision will wait till tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    Fay just tweeted that Reds decision will wait till tomorrow.
    Must be some tough decisions. Baker said the other night they wanted everything settled by today so that the players would know where to head to when they left Arizona.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Must be some tough decisions. Baker said the other night they wanted everything settled by today so that the players would know where to head to when they left Arizona.
    A few of them can carpool to Louisville from Cincinnati.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Tonight, in the Reds first game in a big league stadium this spring training, the Reds pitched Hoover, Chapman, Lecure, and Simon in releif, with Marshall and Broxton warming up.

Probably reading too much, but I'm guessing Hoover has the club made.
    I think so, too.

When Baker went to the mound after Hoover got his one out, something was said that got a big smile/laugh from him.

Maybe Baker told him: "You don't get that guy, you weren't heading north."

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Agreed with everything you say here. Also, Izturis didn't just have the best spring, I think he was the odds-on favorite all along over Jason Donald because of what he can bring defensively at SS. If Cozart gets a minor injury and has to go on the 15-day DL, who do we want starting for those 12-13 games at short -- Izturis or Donald? I know Donald has the better stick, but I would want the better glove in that situation. And Izturis proved this spring he won't completely kill us at the plate. They gave him a ton of ABs which is another reason I think he'll make the squad.

Now that I said all that, I fully expect Izturis to get a pink slip. Haha. (Not really. I do think he'll make the Opening Day roster.)
    Glad to see someone else appreciate what Izturis brings as the backup middleinfielder. I felt like I was the only one who wanted him to be on the 25 man roster when we signed him, but hopefully he has won over some more fans in the last couple months.

Bullpen
    Chapman
    Broxton
    Marshall
    Hoover
    LeCure
    Arredondo
    Simon

Not a bad group of relief pitchers

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Frankly, I'm a little concerned about Cueto's +7.00 e.r.a., but nobody else is because it's SPRING TRAINING. .
    Typical Cuetoesq spring. He obviously rounds himself into pitching shape and his start last week was a perfect prep for opening day. Big time effort by Homer today too. Just stay healthy boys.

Does Donald having a 2 year deal make any difference in him making the team or not?(Im not a 100% sure on this but I thought I heard that) Someone mentioned earlier he could go on the DL to start which may happen IMO. Also while watching Reds Live a couple days ago Welsh said he thought Parra had made the team in the pen. Arredondo is basically a loogy for this team and it does seem rare for a righty to have such success against lefty's so he has some use. Simon scares me because he hardly pitched all spring. The Dominican team used him only 3 innings total if I remember correctly. Maybe Parra takes his spot but Simon also has no options. Since the decision from the brass is taking so long there may be a surprise or two.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

16. Likes:

WVRedsFan (03-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    Does Donald having a 2 year deal make any difference in him making the team or not?(Im not a 100% sure on this but I thought I heard that) Someone mentioned earlier he could go on the DL to start which may happen IMO. Also while watching Reds Live a couple days ago Welsh said he thought Parra had made the team in the pen. Arredondo is basically a loogy for this team and it does seem rare for a righty to have such success against lefty's so he has some use. Simon scares me because he hardly pitched all spring. The Dominican team used him only 3 innings total if I remember correctly. Maybe Parra takes his spot but Simon also has no options. Since the decision from the brass is taking so long there may be a surprise or two.
    I don't see any reference to Donald having a two year contract. He's listed as pre-arbitration eligible this year. It's possible, I just don't see it on the web. He recently reported that his knee felt ok, so I don't know if he's a candidate for the DL, although it would sure be convenient.

Simon pitched well in two late spring outings, I think he'll be on the team.

I've read that final rosters are due tomorrow afternoon, yet there are still unsettled spots on the Reds' roster.

And there's always a chance of a last minute deal or other surprise. In fact, since the Reds have waited so long to finalize things, I'd guess something unexpected could be up.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-30-2013 at 10:31 PM.

Turn Off Ads?