Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Opening Day Roster (who's in, who's out?)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Opening Day Roster (who's in, who's out?)

What about Mark Prior?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Do you think Cesar Izturis is this year's edition of the Spring Training Wonder Boy, the guy who comes off the scrap heap out of nowhere to have a GREAT spring and make the Opening Day roster, only to crash back to reality the first few weeks of the season? Think 2003 season and Josias Manzanillo, who is the patron saint of the Spring Training Wonder Boys.

It would have been nice to be able to stash Jason Donald at AAA. You gotta wonder if he might have made the team had his spring not been affected by the injury.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Our buddy Chris Vailaka made the Marlins opening day roster. Nice to see
    Congrats to him, but you and I could make the Marlin's Opening Day roster

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Perhaps with Parra, it's only fair to let Price work with him before making final judgement. The Reds do have arguably the best pitching coach in baseball now...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Perhaps with Parra, it's only fair to let Price work with him before making final judgement. The Reds do have arguably the best pitching coach in baseball now...
    Let's not go back to the days of Don Gullet can fix him!

Price is a great pitching coach, but bad pitchers aren't going to become good pitchers just because Price is around.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Our buddy Chris Vailaka made the Marlins opening day roster. Nice to see
    Apparently so did our old buddy Austin Kearns as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Do you think Cesar Izturis is this year's edition of the Spring Training Wonder Boy, the guy who comes off the scrap heap out of nowhere to have a GREAT spring and make the Opening Day roster, only to crash back to reality the first few weeks of the season? Think 2003 season and Josias Manzanillo, who is the patron saint of the Spring Training Wonder Boys.

It would have been nice to be able to stash Jason Donald at AAA. You gotta wonder if he might have made the team had his spring not been affected by the injury.
    Good grief. I can't believe it's been 10 years since that abomination. Time flies.

I don't think Donald will be missed. Izturis is a utility infielder, so his ability to Manzanillo games will be very limited.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let's not go back to the days of Don Gullet can fix him!

Price is a great pitching coach, but bad pitchers aren't going to become good pitchers just because Price is around.
    If the complete analysis is "bad" vs. "good" then maybe you're right.

But Parra has some good indicators. High K rate. Relatively low FIP. Ground ball tendencies and relatively low homer rate allowed. Success against lefties in relief last season.

I think the two keys for Parra will be allowing fewer walks and getting good infield defense on the grounders. If both happen, I think he'll have a good season.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Good grief. I can't believe it's been 10 years since that abomination. Time flies.
    It was so bad, I can't believe it's been ONLY 10 years!
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I get a Cody Ross queasiness over the notion of losing Donald. Useful player. I like useful players. Anyone know if he's accepting the assignment?
    I am not sure Walt is keeping the 40th slot open to nab a player from another team.

Couldn't the Reds be keeping that 40th slot open for Donald? The have seven days from yesterday to put him on waivers and the full ten days to trade him or pull him back to the 40 man roster (and 25 man roster).

By keeping the 40th slot open, isn't Walt telling other GMs that there is a chance he will not be placed on waivers, and thus upping the price, if, in fact, there is a trade possibility (since they cannot be sure Donald will be available after 10 days.)

Also, doesnt this provide Walt with some insurance against injury the first week of the season? I might be wrong, but a 15 day DL does not open up a slot on the 40, does it?

One question... can you claim your own player off waivers? Assume you are first on the waiver list... can you DFA a player our of option years, place them on waivers, knowing that you can then grab him back?

The way I read the rule is that if a player is designated for assignment there are only three options:
    1) trade the player
    2) release the player
    3) place the player on irrevocable waivers. If he clears this type of waiver he can be outrighted to the minors. Once sent to the minors he must stay there for 10 days unless there is an injury situation.
    So, I am thinking you can't start to DFA a player and then pull said player back. Now if he does clear waivers and is sent down (outrighted) for 10 days he can be brought back up and may conceivably occupy the same spot on the 40-man roster that he occupied before all the procedural issues took place.
    A 15-day DL does not open up a spot on the 40-man. A 60-day DL does.

http://www.purplerow.com/2009/2/19/7...ions-part-thre

A link of waivers and DFA.

Izturis has already had a fine career as a utility guy. We know what he can do. The only question was did he have anything left in the tank, and it seems like he still does.

But I agree, it would be nice if Donald makes it through waivers and the Reds can keep him.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I have full and complete trust that the Reds brass is able to choose the best pieces of the roster puzzle to start the season.

They've more than earned my trust.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

16. Likes:

edabbs44 (04-01-2013)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

If they really wanted to keep Donald, why didn't they just DL him (knee)?

Turn Off Ads?