Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about Jay Bruce and his swing over the years

Re: Let's talk about Jay Bruce and his swing over the years

Familiarity breeds contempt
    I know a lot of people are talking about his on-base percentage (.308 in 2008), but I like to think more in terms of him his in-scoring position percentage. - Our Beloved Manager

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    i like the guy, glad he's on "our" team, etc..etc..with that said I never wanna see him up with 2 outs, runners on and in need of timely hit. Even my wife asked me if Bruce ever gets a hit when I really want him to. In all honesty the guy gets hot and makes hay for a week or two and then disappears and he's not the worst player who ever did that
    This is basically my thoughts summed up nicely. He is what he is, a good complimentary player and his stats will be similar most every year. I know some on here seem to like the thought of Votto and Jay batting back to back. I havent been a fan of that and not because of the lefty-lefty thing but rather I think of him more as about like he is now, a # 5 hitter. A late game walk to Votto and you need a hit, I would rather see a Ludwick/Phillips or even Frazier up in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    This is basically my thoughts summed up nicely. He is what he is, a good complimentary player and his stats will be similar most every year. I know some on here seem to like the thought of Votto and Jay batting back to back. I havent been a fan of that and not because of the lefty-lefty thing but rather I think of him more as about like he is now, a # 5 hitter. A late game walk to Votto and you need a hit, I would rather see a Ludwick/Phillips or even Frazier up in that situation.
    I'd rather have the better hitter up... Jay Bruce is the better hitter.
    I know a lot of people are talking about his on-base percentage (.308 in 2008), but I like to think more in terms of him his in-scoring position percentage. - Our Beloved Manager

5. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (04-02-2013), pahster (04-02-2013), Raisor (04-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    He doesn't even turn 26 until tomorrow.
    That hasn't stopped people from claiming Mike Leake is as good as he will ever get. Why should Bruce be any different?

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    He'll win some games for us this year, just as he'll leave us in tears in others.
    Agreed.

Streaky players are frustrating as hell to watch/discuss. Everyone remembers his failures in vivid detail and writes off his successes as no big deal because 'that is what he is paid to do'.

Bruce has taken the mantle from Adam Dunn as the guy who was expected to be great, turned out to be very good, and is pilloried for not meeting those unrealistic expectations.

8. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (04-02-2013), bigredmechanism (04-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    i like the guy, glad he's on "our" team, etc..etc..with that said I never wanna see him up with 2 outs, runners on and in need of timely hit. Even my wife asked me if Bruce ever gets a hit when I really want him to. In all honesty the guy gets hot and makes hay for a week or two and then disappears and he's not the worst player who ever did that
    Bruce got a hit to knock in a run with two outs in game 3 of the playoffs last year.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Bruce got a hit to knock in a run with two outs in game 3 of the playoffs last year.
    Yeah but that was different.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Meh.

That is what he is paid to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    That hasn't stopped people from claiming Mike Leake is as good as he will ever get. Why should Bruce be any different?
    Because Bruce has the tools to be an MVP. Mike Leake is the epitome of average. Anyone can watch Bruce for a given game and see that he could 'click'. No one watches Leake and thinks 'man, this dude could compete for a Cy Young one day'.

13. Likes:

Ghosts of 1990 (04-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    this dude could compete for a Cy Young one day'.
    must...not..make..joke.

You know I love you doug.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    must...not..make..joke.

You know I love you doug.
    Well, that guy used to sit where Mike Leake tops out on most days.... So, at least there was that. Of course, now he is sitting 88-90 too and it isn't working out so well for him.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well, that guy used to sit where Mike Leake tops out on most days.... So, at least there was that. Of course, now he is sitting 88-90 too and it isn't working out so well for him.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Bruce is what he is. I've stopped accepting that he's an MVP type of player even though he has the talent to be that kind of guy. Just way too inconsistent for my taste. I've been one of Jay's most vocal critics, but I feel better about him, (and myself) once I realized to just accept that he's not going to reach the level we all thought he could. His level right now is AS type level at some points, but I think we all expected another level out of him and he's just not reaching it and that's still pretty good for him and us.
    I like Jay. I'll give him the year for putting it together. Wasn't saying he needed to be traded right away because of the GS yesterday. But if he continues down the path he's on, he's simply too expensive for the Reds.

Trade him when he has value, and get some really good prospects in return. Choo is an established player. He'd fit better in Right anyway. And he easily has a good 4 years in him of better production.

That leaves Center for Hamilton and to who asked me who plays Left, that would be Ludwick for the this year and next.

Here's an interesting look at how Jay performs vs. his salary:

http://baseballplayersalaries.com/players/539_Jay_Bruce

If he doesn't improve, the Reds will be paying $10, 12 and 12.5 million over the next three years ($7.5 for 2013).

I just feel that is not money well spent for an under performing player in a small market.

Additionally, this is Jay's 6th full season in MLB. I don't care how old he is. I care how he performs and what he costs. Holding on to him and hoping he puts it together is Dunn and Kearns all over again.
    Last edited by Red in Atl; 04-02-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Bruce is good, not great. I don't see him ever making enough contact to get to that level. Still happy to have him.

19. Likes:

RadfordVA (04-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    I like Jay. I'll give him the year for putting it together. Wasn't saying he needed to be traded right away because of the GS yesterday. But if he continues down the path he's on, he's simply too expensive for the Reds.

Trade him when he has value, and get some really good prospects in return. Choo is an established player. He'd fit better in Right anyway. And he easily has a good 4 years in him of better production.

That leaves Center for Hamilton and to who asked me who plays Left, that would be Ludwick for the this year and next.

Here's an interesting look at how Jay performs vs. his salary:

http://baseballplayersalaries.com/players/539_Jay_Bruce

If he doesn't improve, the Reds will be paying $10, 12 and 12.5 million over the next three years ($7.5 for 2013).

I just feel that is not money well spent for an under performing player in a small market.

Additionally, this is Jay's 6th full season in MLB. I don't care how old he is. I care how he performs and what he costs. Holding on to him and hoping he puts it together is Dunn and Kearns all over again.
    If the money he is owed prevents them from retaining someone like Cueto or Latos I am all for shifting the money around. If not then I'm fine paying him that amount for his performance. They are not going to go out and get a Free Agent that produces at same level for any cheaper. He is getting less than Victorino.

Turn Off Ads?