Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 105

Thread: Let's talk about Jay Bruce and his swing over the years

  1. #76
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,692
    (Although if we did decide to argue in those terms for some reason, I would be quick to point out just how many thought Bruce was very much not a deserved All Star last year and how his inclusion snubbed players that were actually deserving.)
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #77
    .377 in 1905 CySeymour's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Carmel, IN
    Posts
    2,224

    Re: Let's talk about Jay Bruce and his swing over the years

    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Jay Bruce finished 10th in the MVP balloting last year at the age of 25 and has been an All Star the last two years. If that doesn't qualify as "very good" for you then I guess he will have to win the MVP Award before you begin to appreciate what the Reds have with their young buck.
    According to bb-ref, he had a WAR under 2. For comparison, Cozart had a 2.5 WAR. So no, Bruce isn't "very good" as of yet.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

  4. #78
    KungFu Fighter AtomicDumpling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hamilton, OH
    Posts
    2,741

    Re: Let's talk about Jay Bruce and his swing over the years

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    No, that literally means nothing to me considering how well established of a sham MLB Awards voting is, and the fact that this argument would not be used to support the merit of any other player.

    That this argument is being made though does validate the idea that Redszone cannot judge Jay Bruce very well on an objective level.
    Well since we are merely clueless members of Redszone maybe we should just trust your opinion more than the experts who vote for MVP and select the All Star team. Personally I find their opinions much more compelling than yours.

  5. #79
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,187

    Re: Let's talk about Jay Bruce and his swing over the years

    If Bruce raises his OBP by 20 points, couple extra BBs a month, he's a superstar.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  6. #80
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,692
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Well since we are merely clueless members of Redszone maybe we should just trust your opinion more than the experts who vote for MVP and select the All Star team.
    I'm sorry, I absolutely cannot argue this point with a straight face.

    This argument would not be used to support any player but Bruce. Their numbers would be the argument. But since Bruce's numbers don't support the narrative, we move on to lesser intellectually honest (read: bad) arguments to make the point.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  7. #81
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,692
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    If Bruce raises his OBP by 20 points, couple extra BBs a month, he's a superstar.
    I don't know about superstar because that's a heavy word, but I would say he's unquestionably pretty great in that scenario.

    That's very much no small task though.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  8. #82
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,692
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Well since we are merely clueless members of Redszone maybe we should just trust your opinion more than the experts who vote for MVP and select the All Star team. Personally I find their opinions much more compelling than yours.
    PS: you don't seem to be very consistent in your opinion of the merit of awards results, because your point ITT doesn't seem to jive with things you've said in, say, a thread like this:
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98524
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  9. #83
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    751

    Re: Let's talk about Jay Bruce and his swing over the years

    When it comes to Bruce, I am as mystified and frustrated as anyone as to why he can't be more consistent. But, in the end, he still comes up with 20-30 bombs and a bunch of RBIs. I think that's what he'll be the rest of his career....and that's okay with me.

  10. Likes:

    redsmetz (04-02-2013)

  11. #84
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,297

    Re: Let's talk about Jay Bruce and his swing over the years

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I'd advise people to compare Bruce with his contemporaries.

    Guys 26 and under (and he's a young 26...as he doesn't turn 26 until tomorrow).
    We are only 4 years away from needing to compare him to the 30 and younger crowd. Totally looking forward to that.

  12. #85
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,820

    Re: Let's talk about Jay Bruce and his swing over the years

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    We are only 4 years away from needing to compare him to the 30 and younger crowd. Totally looking forward to that.
    We look forward to trying to downgrade our comps as well!

  13. #86
    KungFu Fighter AtomicDumpling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hamilton, OH
    Posts
    2,741

    Re: Let's talk about Jay Bruce and his swing over the years

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    PS: you don't seem to be very consistent in your opinion of the merit of awards results, because your point ITT doesn't seem to jive with things you've said in, say, a thread like this:
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98524
    LOL nice try. I am perfectly consistent. I never said Jay Bruce was as good as Mike Trout or Miguel Cabrera.

    Jay Bruce is a very good player. I think all reasonable people would agree on that.

    If he is getting MVP votes and winning Silver Sluggers and making multiple All Star teams you have to be quite the hater to deny that he is a very good player.

  14. #87
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,692
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    LOL nice try. I am perfectly consistent. I never said Jay Bruce was as good as Mike Trout or Miguel Cabrera.

    Jay Bruce is a very good player. I think all reasonable people would agree on that.

    If he is getting MVP votes and winning Silver Sluggers and making multiple All Star teams you have to be quite the hater to deny that he is a very good player.
    Gee are you sure about that? Because:
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Nobody believes that. So what Value does the award really have? What does it mean? Why should we care?
    ...
    I just don't see why I should care about the MVP Award, it clearly doesn't mean much.
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Where have you been son? There are outcries almost every year about how farcical the MVP votes are. People have been ridiculing the writers for 80 years. The writers ridicule each other. It has been that way since the very first year.
    Last edited by Wonderful Monds; 04-03-2013 at 02:55 AM.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  15. #88
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,048

    Re: Let's talk about Jay Bruce and his swing over the years

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    No, that literally means nothing to me considering how well established of a sham MLB Awards voting is, and the fact that this argument would not be used to support the merit of any other player.

    That this argument is being made though does validate the idea that Redszone cannot judge Jay Bruce very well on an objective level.
    No doubt about this.

    I love the guy, but have become frustrated before with him and received infractions for discussing him "excessively". I think he is a player whom draws the excessive discussion because of the extremes of his peaks and valleys.

    But RedsZone as a whole is definitely sensitive on Bruce. You have to pick your spots talking about him or you will make quick enemies about it.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

  16. #89
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,048

    Re: Let's talk about Jay Bruce and his swing over the years

    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Well since we are merely clueless members of Redszone maybe we should just trust your opinion more than the experts who vote for MVP and select the All Star team. Personally I find their opinions much more compelling than yours.
    Keep in mind I really like Jay Bruce the player and the person.....

    But did he really deserve the All Star merit at the time last year? I remember thinking it was kind of a joke that he was named and was hitting below .250, what's an All Star these days anyways? It's really not that special to be an All Star anymore, agree?
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

  17. #90
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,035

    Re: Let's talk about Jay Bruce and his swing over the years

    Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    According to bb-ref, he had a WAR under 2. For comparison, Cozart had a 2.5 WAR. So no, Bruce isn't "very good" as of yet.
    God as my witness, I haven't checked fangraphs yet.

    But It seems the only time people use WAR from baseball reference is when they don't like what fangraphs WAR is. (Or when it helps their case moreso)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25