Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rookie/Keeper OF

Rookie/Keeper OF

Who would you rather have in a Yahoo standard 5x5 league (both for this year and keeper purposes)?

1. Wil Myers
    2. Oscar Taveras
    3. Yasiel Puig
    4. Jackie Bradley, Jr.
    5. Billy Hamilton
    6. Cameron Maybin (I know he's not a rookie)

A: Rank them in order of who would you rather have for this year?
    B: Rank them in order for combined this year and keeper purposes.

Thanks.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rookie/Keeper OF

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Who would you rather have in a Yahoo standard 5x5 league (both for this year and keeper purposes)?

1. Wil Myers
    2. Oscar Taveras
    3. Yasiel Puig
    4. Jackie Bradley, Jr.
    5. Billy Hamilton

Thanks.
    A: Maybin, Bradley, Myers, Taveras, Hamilton, Puig

B: Taveras, Myers, Puig, Maybin, Bradley, Hamilton

1. Wil Myers
    2. Oscar Taveras
    3. Yasiel Puig
    4. Jackie Bradley, Jr.
    5. Billy Hamilton

Thanks.
    Well Maybin is the only one of those guys who is likely to be a full-time player this year, but I don't like Maybin as a fantasy player for now nor the future. I am guessing there are better players than Maybin available on the waiver wire.

Bradley made the Opening Day roster for the Red Sox, but I imagine he will go back to the minors once David Ortiz returns in a couple of weeks. Bradley is a good prospect, but a large part of his game is defense, which doesn't help you in fantasy. Bradley will be a better real life player than fantasy player, but could still be a decent fantasy player too.

I believe Taveras and Myers will get called up in late May or early June and will be regulars the rest of the season.

A: Taveras, Myers, Bradley, Puig, Hamilton, Maybin

B: Taveras, Myers, Puig, Hamilton, Bradley, Maybin

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Well Maybin is the only one of those guys who is likely to be a full-time player this year, but I don't like Maybin as a fantasy player for now nor the future. I am guessing there are better players than Maybin available on the waiver wire.

A: Taveras, Myers, Bradley, Puig, Hamilton, Maybin

B: Taveras, Myers, Puig, Hamilton, Bradley, Maybin
    Wow, what a hater. Maybin might not be what his scouting reports expected but he's a little better than that.

A: Taveras, Myers, Maybin, Bradley, Puig, Hamilton

B: Taveras, Myers, Puig, Hamilton, Maybin, Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Wow, what a hater. Maybin might not be what his scouting reports expected but he's a little better than that.

A: Taveras, Myers, Maybin, Bradley, Puig, Hamilton

B: Taveras, Myers, Puig, Hamilton, Maybin, Bradley
    In my CBS league we have 12 teams with 32 man rosters. That means 384 players are taken. Maybin is on the Free Agent list.

In my three Yahoo leagues with 12 teams and 30-man rosters he is taken in all of them, but he is ranked #219 by Yahoo. Not exactly a sought-after player. He is serviceable in an emergency, but not someone you should plan to keep on your team for any length of time.

I too think Maybin's ship has sailed. I'd rather try Domonic Brown, Starling Marte or Leonys Martin.

Taveras's ceiling is Vlad Guerrero

Myers ceiling is Jay Bruce

not sure about Puig or Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    I too think Maybin's ship has sailed. I'd rather try Domonic Brown, Starling Marte or Leonys Martin.
    If Domonic Brown is available I would much rather have him than Maybin. I would rather have Marte and Martin too, but I am not big fans of them either. Of this group, Brown is the only one with star potential.

Whether a player is available or not in a fantasy baseball league doesn't mean the player will or won't have a good year or that he'll be more 'valuable' than another guy. What it does mean is that a taken player is more likely to be more valuable OR that there's more 'buzz' about him (which can play a big part in how 'owned' a rookie/prospect is or a post-hype guy is). But, if that's the entirety of your thinking (how owned a player is) than it doesn't mean much to me.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Maybin was the most valuable of all of that bunch in fbb for the entire 2013 season. I'm not saying he will be but just that I wouldn't be surprised.

Taveras = Vlad 2.0? Doubt it. Vlad was a 5 tool guy, Taveras is more of a 4 - 4 1/2 tool guy.

Myers = Bruce 2.0? Maybe

Puig? If he's lucky maybe another Soriano.

Bradley? Pagan? Now, THAT'S the kind of guy AD likes.

Lastly, I'd rather have Marte than Brown.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 04-04-2013 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Whether a player is available or not in a fantasy baseball league doesn't mean the player will or won't have a good year or that he'll be more 'valuable' than another guy. What it does mean is that a taken player is more likely to be more valuable OR that there's more 'buzz' about him (which can play a big part in how 'owned' a rookie/prospect is or a post-hype guy is). But, if that's the entirety of your thinking (how owned a player is) than it doesn't mean much to me.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Maybin was the most valuable of all of that bunch in fbb for the entire 2013 season. I'm not saying he will be but just that I wouldn't be surprised.

Taveras = Vlad 2.0? Doubt it. Vlad was a 5 tool guy, Taveras is more of a 4 - 4 1/2 tool guy.

Myers = Bruce 2.0? Maybe

Puig? If he's lucky maybe another Soriano.

Bradley? Pagan? Now, THAT'S the kind of guy AD likes.

Lastly, I'd rather have Marte than Brown.
    Yeah, the only thing that matters to me is how owned a player is.

Billy Hamilton isn't getting nearly enough love here. While many of the rest of the guys on the list are more well rounded, Hamilton's speed may be enough to win you an entire category and provide enough runs to be a plus performer there too.

Taveras and Myers have higher fantasy ceilings but I think Hamilton's floor (from a fantasy perspective) is higher than both of those two.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    Billy Hamilton isn't getting nearly enough love here. While many of the rest of the guys on the list are more well rounded, Hamilton's speed may be enough to win you an entire category and provide enough runs to be a plus performer there too.

Taveras and Myers have higher fantasy ceilings but I think Hamilton's floor (from a fantasy perspective) is higher than both of those two.
    Adding in this year to the analysis is taking a lot of the wind out of Hamilton's sails. You won't really be able to count on much of Hamilton at all this year, except for maybe a handful of atbats. I fully expect Myers to get 300 at bats this year, and if one of the old people on the Cardinals falls over, Taveras could have the same thing come his way. I don't see any way Hamilton gets close to 300 at bats.

So Maybin or Bradley for THIS year?
    Go BLUE!!!

So Maybin or Bradley for THIS year?
    I'd go Maybin, he has more power & I'm not convinced the playing time will be there for Bradley in a month

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Yeah, the only thing that matters to me is how owned a player is.
    Ya know, I'd expect that isn't the only thing that matters to you. The problem is that's all you talked about in your previous post.

So, a little update...I picked up Ichiro off the waiver wire and dropped the much-balleyhooed Cameron Maybin. Now my situation is this:

OF Trout
    OF Stanton
    OF Fowler
    OF Ichiro
    DH?

BN Belt
    BN Alvarez
    BN Bradley Jr.
    BN Myers
    BN Puig
    BN Profar

Alejandro de Aza is out there on the waiver wire. Do I pick him up and drop Ichiro? Bradley? Puig? Belt?
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?