Turn Off Ads?
Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657 LastLast

Thread: Opening Day 4.1.13: Reds vs. Angels

Re: Opening Day 4.1.13: Reds vs. Angels

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I'm shocked you haven't figured out that most Reds fans on twitter are idiots.
    It's not unique to reds fans.

2. Turn Off Ads?

All I've got to say is "bunt to win". Twice Dusty took the bat out of the hands a good hitter only to ensure that an even better hitter would be walked. Yeah, the guys didn't hit like they should have. But it stinks when your manager takes away opportunities.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

4. Likes:

Raisor (04-02-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (04-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    All I've got to say is "bunt to win". Twice Dusty took the bat out of the hands a good hitter only to ensure that an even better hitter would be walked. Yeah, the guys didn't hit like they should have. But it stinks when your manager takes away opportunities.
    I could be wrong, but I think, at least with the Phillips bunt, it increased the odds of the Reds scoring one run. Probably decreased the odds of scoring more than one run, but in an extra inning game, and you're the home team, one run is all you need.

Which is more likely to happen?

Either Votto or Phillips gets a hit, or

Heisey makes contact in his AB.

I would bet on Heisey making contact.

Plus you have to factor in that Votto would likely get pitched around no matter the situation. The open base just turned it from an "unintentional" intentional walk to an intentional walk.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

After one of 162, we've learned that they still can't score when it matters.

Or perhaps we didn't learn anything....
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 04-02-2013 at 06:00 AM.

Just saw the lowlights of the game on MLB. That strike call on Bruce to end the game was not even close to being a strike.

If Phillips was hitting cleanup and Cozart and Votto reached base to start the inning, I am willing to wager Dusty doesn't bunt Brandon in that scenario.

I got kicked out of the game thread 4 or 5 times yesterday. I guess it was because of it being Opening Day and a goodly number of people were in there at the time.

If the Reds keep getting pitching that good they will be just fine.

Losing Ludwick is concerning. Hopefully he won't be out too long. Not having someone in the middle of that lineup could really hurt and Dusty stubbonness not to bat two lefties together could really hurt this team.

Someday MLB will at least experiment with a pitch trax. Home plate umpiring is terribly inconsistent and not just by Dale Scott either. At least experiment with it in spring training one year and see how it would work. But I doubt I will ever live to this.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I'm going to have to ask most of you to turn over your shoe laces and guitar strings to the guards.

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    If the Reds keep getting pitching that good they will be just fine.

Losing Ludwick is concerning. Hopefully he won't be out too long. Not having someone in the middle of that lineup could really hurt and Dusty stubbonness not to bat two lefties together could really hurt this team.

Someday MLB will at least experiment with a pitch trax. Home plate umpiring is terribly inconsistent and not just by Dale Scott either. At least experiment with it in spring training one year and see how it would work. But I doubt I will ever live to this.
    161 more games with that type of pitching would set all kinds of MLB records. Judgment calls on balls and strikes is part of the game, and often times those calls appear to be off. I contend that Dale Scott had a worse day at the office than JJ Hoover. Hoover looked downright nasty. The HBP on a 1-2 count to Conger is definitely on him, but even the best pitchers let one get away from them now and again. The timing of that one just stunk.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Touch This View Post
    161 more games with that type of pitching would set all kinds of MLB records. Judgment calls on balls and strikes is part of the game, and often times those calls appear to be off. I contend that Dale Scott had a worse day at the office than JJ Hoover. Hoover looked downright nasty. The HBP on a 1-2 count to Conger is definitely on him, but even the best pitchers let one get away from them now and again. The timing of that one just stunk.
    No doubt hitting Conger was a bad mistake. But I really liked what I saw from Hoover overall. He's got some nasty stuff. The Reds bullpen is awfully good. Broxton,Hoover,Lecure,Chapman and we didn't even see Marshall. Any team would envy arms in the pen like that.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Another potential undefeated season down the tubes.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

15. Likes:

LexRedsFan (04-02-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    This was pretty much like Game 3 last year. Lots of ifs, ands, and buts, but we still lose because of our crappy situational offense.
    So, no credit is given to the Angels pitchers? Say what you will about our hitting, the pitching in that game was nothing short of magnificent on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    One of many, but I turned away after the final strike of the game thinking it was a ball...10 sec later I look up and it's all over.
    To be fair....it was a strike according to pitch f/x and gameday.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Just saw the lowlights of the game on MLB. That strike call on Bruce to end the game was not even close to being a strike.
    I rarely see BOTH pitch f/x and gameday wrong on a pitched ball. They BOTH had it as a strike. But considering what we saw called as a strike all game long, I understand the skepticism.

Turn Off Ads?