Henry Rodriguez
    Neftali Soto

Outfielders:

Josh Fellhauer
    Billy Hamilton
    Felix Perez
    Dennis Phipps
    Derrick Robinson

This is actually a very good AAA roster I think. The pitching staff will by the strength of this team, with a rotation of:

Corcino
    Cingrani
    Gallaraga
    Reineke
    Villarreal/Reynolds

And a great bullpen as well.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2013 Louisville Bats Roster

I finally win that bet from 1983 that someday the Reds would have a farm team with catchers called "Nevin, Corky and Konrad." I have to track down Spaz to tell him that he owes 10 Return of the Jedi trading cards including the rare Boba Fett card.

4. Likes:

mace (04-01-2013),texasdave (04-02-2013)

Two really nice OF reserves in Fellhauer and Perez are kind of wasted, IMO, but AA is stacked as well. Too, Negron at 2B? Waste of a spot there. I'd move Rodriguez between SS, 2B, and 3B while playing every day, make Hessman a 3B, and give the two backup OFers more time.

The rotation looks solid, with Cingrani and Corcino at the top. The rest of innings eaters who're serviceable at best.

I do like the pen, with possible help in Prior (love the Ks, hate the BBs), Arredondo (see Prior), Whelan (short-term long inning guy), and De La Rosa (LOOGY), not to mention Villareal's stuff (low 90s, decent projection/ possibility for decent slider) may play up as a bullpenner.

Both Soto and Hessman are solid bets to hit a ton of homers this season. In fact, Hessman might be a Soto minor league comp, should the former high round draftee not figure out AAA pitching this season. Rodriguez should play well ahead of them, as should the speedsters Robinson and Hamilton.

Hamilton CF
    D. Robinson/ Fellhauer LF
    H. Rodriguez IF
    Soto 1B
    Hessman 3B/ DH
    Perez/ Phipps RF
    Schmidt C
    Burriss SS
    Negron 2B

OF
    Possible help to Cincinnati ranges from fourth/ fifth OF in Phipps, Robinson to starter help if Hamilton dominates and someone in Redland struggles. Negron, D. Robinson, Perez, and Hamilton can all caddy CF if Choo cannot.

Infield
    Depending on what the Reds think of H. Rodriguez's defense across the diamond (and that certainly wasn't helped this Spring Training), there might be legitimate help at every position. Rodriguez can play 2B and 3B, and perhaps SS in a pinch. Same with Burriss. (You can add OF to his resume, as well.) Soto can stand at 1B and could emerge as a darkhorse prospect stud, a la Roberto Petagine, years ago. (He'll have to find 1B more ways than hit, though. Walking there would help.)

I really like Konrad Schmidt as a backup/ emergency catcher. He can hit and has turned himself into a very good defensive option as well. If either Hanigan or Mesoraco go down/ struggle, he may find himself playing-- and playing well-- in Cincinnati.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Does this mean that Ondrusek is really starting the year in AA? I thought him to Pensacola was a paper move.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Does this mean that Ondrusek is really starting the year in AA? I thought him to Pensacola was a paper move.
    Its real. Articles discussed that the Reds want him working with the AA pitching coach.

Edit: here it is
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...ith-tom-brown/
    It was not surprising that Logan Ondrusek did not make the 25-man roster — he struggled this spring — but it was somewhat surprising that he was sent to Double-A Pensacola. Ondrusek hasn’t pitched in AA since 2009.

“(Pensacola pitching coach) Tom Brown has turned his career around is the pitching coach there,” Reds manager Dusty Baker said. “Tom Brown knew him as well as anybody. It wasn’t a slight on (Louisville pitching coach) Teddy Power. It’s the fact that Tom Brown knew (Ondrusek).”

8. Likes:

Edd Roush (04-02-2013)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Its real. Articles discussed that the Reds want him working with the AA pitching coach.

Thanks for linking the article. I am glad to see that the Reds are acknowledging that Ondrusek has some work to do.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post

Do minor league coaches go to Spring Training? Could Tom Brown have worked with him out in Goodyear?

So, now that the Rosters are out, who got canned? I saw where Mark Serrano was released. Anybody else? Kanekoa Texiera? Jeff Stevens? Jeff Marquez? How about lower level guys like Dan Wolford, James Walczak, Porfiro Martinez, Brian Pearl and Blaine Howell? Mark Fleury? Matt Mangini? Fray Sosa? Jefry Sierra? Wilkin Ramirez? Lots of names I've not seen on a transaction as being dropped, but not seeing on a roster either. Most don't seem like Extended Spring Training types.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    So, now that the Rosters are out, who got canned? I saw where Mark Serrano was released. Anybody else? Kanekoa Texiera? Jeff Stevens? Jeff Marquez? How about lower level guys like Dan Wolford, James Walczak, Porfiro Martinez, Brian Pearl and Blaine Howell? Mark Fleury? Matt Mangini? Fray Sosa? Jefry Sierra? Wilkin Ramirez? Lots of names I've not seen on a transaction as being dropped, but not seeing on a roster either. Most don't seem like Extended Spring Training types.
    For what it's worth, Marquez, Fleury and Pearl are listed on the Pensacola roster, on the team website. Stevens has been released. That's all I got.

Jamie Walczak is listed on the Dayton roster. However, his status is listed as restricted.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Minor Moves: Donald, Berken, Gartrell
    By Tim Dierkes [April 4 at 5:22pm CST]
    Today's minor moves...

Reds infielder Jason Donald cleared waivers and was outrighted to Triple-A, according to the International League transactions page. He'd been designated for assignment on Sunday. The 28-year-old hit .277/.365/.441 in 296 Triple-A plate appearances last year.

I'm not sure what planet I have been on, but after he hit TWO HR's last night, I suddenly realized that Mike Hessman was THE Mike Hessman who is like the career minor league leader in HR's. How did I miss that he was now in the Reds' organization?

I have to tell you, had I known this, I might have thought long and hard when Ludwick went down about bringing Hessman in.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I have to tell you, had I known this, I might have thought long and hard when Ludwick went down about bringing Hessman in.
    Hessman once had a year where he had more homers than singles, that says everything we need to know about his ability to make consistent contact. It's fun to watch him get a hold of one, but he's not a big league caliber hitter.

In the 70s, Hessman would have been a star. He's Tony Armas without the CF positional scarcity (though he did play 3B well enough in his younger days) and Dave Kingman with a bit of a glove.

That power would have had some serious value in the era of cookie cutter ballparks and 140 lb. middle infielders.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

This is going to be one hell of a fun team to follow this year. I can't wait to see them in Columbus against the Clippers. I will be decked out in Reds gear rooting AGAINST the hometown Clip Joint.

PS: I loathe the fact that the Clippers are the Indians' AAA affiliate now. I thought it was pretty cool when Columbus was the AAA affiliate of the Yankees. But the Indians? Yuck. Just makes the bandwagon Indian fans (who didn't exist before the year 1995) even more intolerable. Columbus was a Reds town back in the day. Now it's split at best between the Reds and Indians ... and having the Clippers as the Indians' AAA affiliate doesn't help the cause.

Anyway, looking forward to taking in some Bats' games on enemy territory this year. The Clippers' relatively-new stadium is only about a 10-minute drive from my house. The Bats are going to be tough to beat all year.

Turn Off Ads?