Turn Off Ads?
Page 38 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: Scoreboard Watching 2013

Re: Scoreboard Watching 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
    Chapman's K/9 went from 12.0 in the minors to 14.3 in the majors. Rosenthal's K/9 went from 9.2 in the minors to 11.8 in the majors. I fail to see the problem.
    I agree. Rosenthal actually went through the league for a first time last season, so this is his second or third time facing most teams. He had a bit of a hiccup to start the season, but has adjusted well. He may not keep up his K rate, but he's the one young Cardinal pitcher who I think has a chance of keeping up his production all season.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
    Chapman's K/9 went from 12.0 in the minors to 14.3 in the majors. Rosenthal's K/9 went from 9.2 in the minors to 11.8 in the majors. I fail to see the problem.
    Chapman 100 innings, Rosenthal 300 innings in the minors. Striking out 1.5 per inning is who Chapman is. Striking out 1 per inning is who Rosenthal is.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Chapman 100 innings, Rosenthal 300 innings in the minors. Striking out 1.5 per inning is who Chapman is. Striking out 1 per inning is who Rosenthal is.
    I think that's a bit deceptive to be honest. Rosenthal started in the minors at 19 years old and wasn't the polished pitcher Chapman was when he entered the Reds minor league system. It also says nothing about the Cardinals making him using his secondary pitches a lot in the minors instead of throwing his fastball constantly. They do that with a lot of their young pitchers and was a reason why, for example, Miller's minor league numbers don't look too impressive. Even if Rosenthal regresses to a 9 K/9, that still represents a quality reliever.

MLB is in a quandary over this mess. But that's what you get when you schedule these interleague games during the rainy season. It's possible that they might erase the 9th inning and give the Cards the win. (because there may not be another off day for both teams that is not a travel day for 1 or both)

3 hrs and counting in this delay....nobody left in the stands. The poor Royals have to travel....Oy, what a mess. It's still raining pretty good, with plenty of clouds heading in.

I may start believing in this Cardinal luck factor thing.

It's official. Royals win 4-2.

7. Likes:

redsmetz (05-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    MLB is in a quandary over this mess. But that's what you get when you schedule these interleague games during the rainy season. It's possible that they might erase the 9th inning and give the Cards the win. (because there may not be another off day for both teams that is not a travel day for 1 or both)

3 hrs and counting in this delay....nobody left in the stands. The poor Royals have to travel....Oy, what a mess. It's still raining pretty good, with plenty of clouds heading in.

I think by rule they would have had to finish the game, whether tonight or with the Royals coming back to finish it out.

I woke up early this morning and was totally confused when I brought up the Cardinals site and it was showing the game still going (with no mention of an interminable rain delay!). Saw your note and then the time and was even more baffled. I went to the Royals site - same thing. I went to the St. Louis and KC papers' sites, no clear indication that the game had resumed. I finally went to Twitter and typed in "cardinals rain delay" and finally saw a tweet that it had ended.

Thankful that the Royals pulled out a win on a night when we got thrashed. Glad to not lose any more ground. Now let's get back on that pony and take it to the Pirates.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Well, if MLB can make the 9th inning of the Royals/Reds game disappear, then maybe they make the 4th inning of the Reds/Indians game disappear

Yeah...I'm gonna disagree with you here. This is confirmation bias. You're accepting data that supports your position and ignoring data that doesn't. Chapman is better than Rosenthal. Let's leave it at that.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Rosenthal has been a 9K/9 guy in his career.......in the minors. Does anyone really think he will continue at that pace the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th time through the league? Really?
    As a reliever, why not? Not unexpected to see an uptick in K-rate when you go from starter to reliever.

Erasing the 9th inning was never an option. If they had too, it would have been played at the end of the season. The rules do not allow them to simply wash it away when the Royals took the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    But the improvement has been Maness taking over Motte's innings.......
    How could that be an improvement?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    How could that be an improvement?
    I meant Boggs. Oops.

Both came up the same time, threw hard, and had beards. One was good. I never remembered which one.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Erasing the 9th inning was never an option. If they had too, it would have been played at the end of the season. The rules do not allow them to simply wash it away when the Royals took the lead.
    There's a new rule about reverting to the last full inning if the game doesn't resume. I don't like going back in time like that. You step on a butterfly, and everything's all messed up when you get back.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    There's a new rule about reverting to the last full inning if the game doesn't resume. I don't like going back in time like that. You step on a butterfly, and everything's all messed up when you get back.
    I think that's the old rule you are talking about, the new rule is if the away team takes the lead in the last inning, and the home team does not get it's last AB's, the game will be suspended. Once a game is official (5 innings), you never take away a potential winning team's runs.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I think that's a bit deceptive to be honest. Rosenthal started in the minors at 19 years old and wasn't the polished pitcher Chapman was when he entered the Reds minor league system. It also says nothing about the Cardinals making him using his secondary pitches a lot in the minors instead of throwing his fastball constantly. They do that with a lot of their young pitchers and was a reason why, for example, Miller's minor league numbers don't look too impressive. Even if Rosenthal regresses to a 9 K/9, that still represents a quality reliever.
    I certainly would not describe Chapman when he entered the Reds minor league system "polished." Heck, I don't know if I would describe him as polished at this point in his career.

Turn Off Ads?