Turn Off Ads?
Page 62 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1252585960616263646566 ... LastLast

Thread: Scoreboard Watching 2013

Re: Scoreboard Watching 2013

There was SO MUCH baseball played yesterday...14 innings for Reds-Cubs, 18 for Yanks-A's, 13 for O's-Red Sox. Which got me to wondering: what was the day in history on which the most innings were played across MLB? I can't seem to find it, only stats for single games with most innings.

I'm guessing it wasn't yesterday, because a lot of teams were off...then again, we didn't always have 30 teams. Paging westofyou!
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 06-14-2013 at 11:46 AM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I agree. Kennedey should be suspended for a while. I think we will see a few suspensions coming from this game.
    Kennedy was suspended for a while, 10 games. All the other suspensions are in the article. ALl subject to appeal of course.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pitcher...174553207.html
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    ... the clutch hitting will fade.
    You mean you hope it does.

Ever since "regression to the mean" entered the lexicon of the average baseball fan, most of those fans continue to misunderstand what it means.

Here it is in a nutshell: BABIP with RISP of .389 (or whatever it is exactly today) is well above the .321 overall figure for the Cards. It is clearly unsustainable and we should expect some regression.

Regression to the mean says that the Cards' BABIP with RISP should be roughly .321 (their overall BABIP) from this point to the end of the year. The events that produced the .389 number have already occurred and do not influence what happens henceforth.

Let me make the point in another way, just for clarity. The fact that the Cards BABIP with RISP is ridiculously high does not mean that it will suddenly become ridiculously low in order to come out average in the end.

If you work it out, that means they'll finish between .340 and .350.

If that's what you call a fade, I'll take it.

Their worst-in-the-NL Defense ...
    Since many have already addressed this point, my response is simply ROTFLMAO!

...the Cardinals will fall from their perch and that they are playing over their heads right now. It will come to an end very fast.
    If wishes were fishes... you know the rest.

No. It's not hope, it will certainly fade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

If that's what you call a fade, I'll take it.
    No, that's what you call a fade.

Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    No. It's not hope, it will certainly fade.
    I'm dying to hear your expert reasoning as to why.

Whose ace pitching is going to stop them cold? The Cards have already played the toughest part of their schedule. They've already faced (and destroyed) better pitching than they'll see over the rest of the year.

They have 14 left against Pittsburgh and seven against Atlanta. That's 21 games out of 96 remaining against teams I consider to have excellent pitching. Which leaves 78% of their remaining games against teams whose pitching is somewhere between pretty good and horrendous.

Quote Originally Posted by redhat View Post
    If wishes were fishes... you know the rest.
    Arrogance diminishes wisdom.

9. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (06-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Adam Rosales entered the game for the Athletics in the 10th inning and still managed a Golden Sombrero...now that takes some skill.
    The Reds had two players that were making a run at it but simply ran out of time. Jack Hannahan and Derrick Robinson each were late-game substitutes that went to plate three times and struck out three times.

Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Arrogance diminishes wisdom.
    It's hard to read attitude and emotion from text on a screen. It's human to project our own biases and expectations onto people we don't know in person.

Trust me, I wasn't trying to be arrogant. Just pointing out what I saw as wishful thinking.

I'm dying to hear your expert reasoning as to why.

Whose ace pitching is going to stop them cold? The Cards have already played the toughest part of their schedule. They've already faced (and destroyed) better pitching than they'll see over the rest of the year.

They have 14 left against Pittsburgh and seven against Atlanta. That's 21 games out of 96 remaining against teams I consider to have excellent pitching. Which leaves 78% of their remaining games against teams whose pitching is somewhere between pretty good and horrendous.
    Lets revist their stats at the end of the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

It's hard to read attitude and emotion from text on a screen. It's human to project our own biases and expectations onto people we don't know in person.

Trust me, I wasn't trying to be arrogant. Just pointing out what I saw as wishful thinking.
    Why should I "trust" you?

Evidently we cause you to ROTFLMAO with our POV, and well, if wishes were fishes...

Hardly a sign that you aren't attempting to placate our support of the Reds chances in a friendly manner from where I sit.

Personally I think it's hilarious that you find the Cardinals team defense as not being a trouble spot with 100 games left in the season.

But don't worry, I won't be registering on any Cardinals boards to spout my opinion on their team while looking the other way on possible flaws that my team might possess.

14. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-14-2013)

Please reserve this thread for its purpose (following the MLB games of the day). We really, really do not need yet another Reds/Cardinals debate (bickering) thread.

16. Likes:

foxfire123 (06-14-2013)

Well, the big 3 all have easy foes tonite. I figure that the Reds have the best of it as the Bucs are playing an erratic LA club, and the Cards have Westbroke back in action.

Or maybe they all lose?

Cardinals 2-0, top 2

Pirates 0-0, bottom 2
    We can share the women, we can share the wine.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Cardinals now tied up at 2. Pittsburgh up 2-0.

Turn Off Ads?