Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 68 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: Scoreboard Watching 2013

Re: Scoreboard Watching 2013

Angels about to lose to Houston and fall to 2-8

2. Turn Off Ads?

In the NL all the teams expected to win are winning, but in the AL they're all having some type of issues. Oakland is on fire winning 9 in a row after dropping the first two and in the NL the Braves are at 7 straight and 9 of 10.

Getting either Washington or Atlanta in the WC would be sick for them and whoever gets the last WC, we better get going and wins some games or it could be us fighting it out with one of the good NL West teams and maybe Philly if Roy Halladay ever regains his form. The Cards have given up just 1 run since we hit that 9 run inning 3 games ago and have seen their #4 and 5 starters give up just 2 ER in 28 IP this year so they have a pixy dust in full effect early as we turned a 2 game lead into a one game hole over a 3 game span.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Braves catcher Evan Gattis is killing it so far this year. He is a Josh Hamilton-lite type of story. Not quite the same, but a little bit.

He went deep earlier this afternoon on Strasburg. 97 MPH at the letters. That is some bat speed to get to that pitch and pull it.

Yovani Gallardo came in with an amazing 6.72 career ERA in 14 starts vs the Cardinals to go with that 1-9 record and he had a strong 5 innings but has now imploded in the 6th.

Wainwright gets infield single his 2nd of the game, Jay a single into LF, HBP and then Holliday nearly decapitates him with a liner back at him to make it 3-0, he gets a pop up for the first out but then Craig lines one into center to push it to 4-0 and he's pulled leaving two on and one out.

Badenhop helps it go from bad to worse for Gallardo as he give up a RBI single to Molina to make it 5-0, gets Freese and then whoever this 5th sting guy playing 1B for the Brewers is lets a ball go right between his legs to make it 6-0 and then Wainwright makes it 7-0 to go 3-for-3 today and has two hits in the 6th while the Brewers have 2 hits all game. Mike Gonzalez comes in a Jay makes it 8-0 on a single before getting Carpenter to end the innings.

Wainwright has 1 more RBI today that the Cardinals pitchers have gave up in last 33 innings.
    Last edited by HometownHero; 04-13-2013 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Braves catcher Evan Gattis is killing it so far this year. He is a Josh Hamilton-lite type of story. Not quite the same, but a little bit.

He went deep earlier this afternoon on Strasburg. 97 MPH at the letters. That is some bat speed to get to that pitch and pull it.
    I was shocked to search Redszone before and not finding any posts/topics about Gattis.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

This looked like it hurt yet it's so Cubs like. The Cubs are already in mid-season form.

http://deadspin.com/cubs-c-steve-cle...t-to-472812482

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

Was at this game today. Gattis is impressive but Zimmerman's inability to throw accurately to 2nd or 1st is killing the Nats. That and the suddently inept bullpen. And the anemic bats. Starters have looked pretty good. Right now, I think the Braves are playing the best ball in the NL. When you think that their #1 and #2 positions have yet to awaken and are batting sub .100, it's pretty amazing they're now 10-1. Gattis, J. Upton, the starters and Kimbrel are all pretty awesome. Watch these guys. They'll be in CIN the 2nd week of next month. Wish I could get back to watch a couple of those in person; would be huge for the Reds to take at least 2 games. Here's hoping.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

Pujols just saved the Angels season with a 2-out, two run walk off double. They would been 3 games back of Houston in last place if they dropped that game.

Quote Originally Posted by HometownHero View Post
    Pujols just saved the Angels season with a 2-out, two run walk off double. They would been 3 games back of Houston in last place if they dropped that game.

You heard it here first.

Pujols just saved their season.

Tonight.

Call it off rest, boys.

Season's saved.

Pujols off to good start this year. Could have really huge year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post
    You heard it here first.

Pujols just saved their season.

Tonight.

Call it off rest, boys.

Season's saved.
    If they feel to 2-9 and 6.5 games out and 0-5 at home wasting 2 of their games vs Houston they would have been buried early with Jered Weaver out for another month and a half. The 6-14 start cost them the playoffs last year as well and they don't have another Mike Trout to call up and almost save the day like in 2012.

22 of the Angels first 32 are vs 2012 playoff teams, 7 of those are on the road and the 3 remaining games were this 3 game set vs Houston if they lost tonight it would been 0-2 and basically dead in the water.

I don't think that if the Angels lost tonight they'd be "dead in the water." And I doubt they feel that way.

Tonight doesn't save them any more than a loss would have sunk them.

It sucks to lose to the Astros, but losing tonight would not have started a Marlins-esque sell off.

Nor does the win automatically make them buyers.

They finished what, 5 out last year?

The slow start was bad, and this one's bad, but you can picked out 5 games they should have won randomly stretched out through the whole season last year. Wins are wins and losses are losses no matter when they come. There's going to be a lot more wins and losses this year (for all the teams). It's April.

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post
    I don't think that if the Angels lost tonight they'd be "dead in the water." And I doubt they feel that way
    They celebrated like the won the WS so I'm sure they feel like a massive monkey was lifted off their backs and felt that game to be bigger than you do.

Quote Originally Posted by HometownHero View Post
    felt that game to be bigger than you do.
    I'm sure they did. I wasn't watching.

I won't take that away from them. It's a division win for a struggling team. What I'm taking issue with is you saying that tonight saved their season.

What if they lost tonight, and won tomorrow? Would tomorrow's win be totally irrelevant because their season was already ruined? After all, the 'Stros beat them the night before. They failed to save the season. Would they even get out of bed?

Obviously it's better to win than to lose. I'm sure they feel better tonight than they did last night. But if they lose tomorrow I'm not quite ready to write them off and I'm sure they feel the same way.

You posted how tough their schedule has been. The other side of that is that it's probably going to get easier.

Now, if they're still awful in July or August, yeah, they're probably done.

(I'm not an Angels fan, and they're in a tough division. I'm just saying it's April. We're two weeks in. No one's done yet.)

Stat geek...and proud

I thought this was Scoreboard Watching not freaking Cardinal Threadjack?

Turn Off Ads?