Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pros & Cons from Game 1

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Pros & Cons from Game 1

I always want to win on Opening Day in a big way, but I didn't feel so bad after that game. The pros seemed to outweigh the cons.

PRO:

* Choo, for one game, looked like exactly what the doctor ordered in the leadoff spot. So refreshing to see a professional hitter in that spot. I know they only had one run and were frustrating at the plate in this one, but it's going to pay off big-time over the course of the season.

* Cueto was dealing. He had his one typical letdown pitch to Ianetta, but to do what he did to that lineup was impressive. The pitches he made in the bases-loaded jam were just filthy.

* Bullpen was fantastic. I'd even put Hoover in that mix. He looked good until he had to go longer than he probably should have.

CONS:

* Losing Ludwick on freak injury. Going to be a tough blow for first half of season.

* Situational hitting. Ugh. Continues to be their Achilles heel, especially with Bruce. I've kinda gotten numb to it with him, though, and accepted that's just what he's going to be.

* Taking the bat out of Votto's hands late with the sacrifice bunt by Phillips (given the above "con" I just listed). Didn't think that was a winning move.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Pros & Cons from Game 1

I feel bad for Ludwick. Seems like a good guy.

But if I were honest, I wasn't that crazy about his signing. I've been happy with about everything with this team but LF/Cleanup hitter for a long time.

I don't see how you spend a ton of money on Votto and not protect him in the lineup.

Seems like the Reds blew their stash on everyone but cleanup.

And I know they spent $7M on Ludwick. Seemed like an overpayment. I'd rather have spent double that for quality and true protection of Joey. But the Reds are small market and it will never happen. Which makes me feel they will continue to contend but be a runner-up for most of the time.

Pros:

It was game 1.
    There are 161 more.
    It's April.
    It wasn't a playoff game.

Slow and steady wins the race.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

5. Likes:

bigredmechanism (04-03-2013),jmac (04-02-2013)

Pros:

It was a Reds baseball game that counted

Enough for me.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

7. Likes:

bigredmechanism (04-03-2013),Captain13 (04-03-2013),Tadasimha (04-02-2013)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I feel bad for Ludwick. Seems like a good guy.

But if I were honest, I wasn't that crazy about his signing. I've been happy with about everything with this team but LF/Cleanup hitter for a long time.

I don't see how you spend a ton of money on Votto and not protect him in the lineup.

Seems like the Reds blew their stash on everyone but cleanup.

And I know they spent $7M on Ludwick. Seemed like an overpayment. I'd rather have spent double that for quality and true protection of Joey. But the Reds are small market and it will never happen. Which makes me feel they will continue to contend but be a runner-up for most of the time.

I like Ludwick. Never going to be a star, but I thought it was a fair price for a good, solid stick in the middle of the order. Not sure there were other realistic options for same kind of money.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

9. Likes:

bigredmechanism (04-03-2013),malcontent (04-03-2013)

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    I like Ludwick. Never going to be a star, but I thought it was a fair price for a good, solid stick in the middle of the order. Not sure there were other realistic options for same kind of money.
    Exactly. It's easy to like the idea of a generic $15M/yr cleanup bat. Whether that bat was ever available to the Reds is a different story.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Pros:

1. Cueto
    2. Choo
    3. The bratwurst I had before the game started.

Cons:

1. Nobody but Choo could seem to figure out Weaver. He was tossing up soft stuff and everyone was way out in front and off balance all game.

2. "Fans" who only went to be seen at the opener and sat in the stands talking about stuff other than baseball.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Pros:

1. Cueto
    2. Choo

Cons:

1. Nobody but Choo could seem to figure out Weaver. He was tossing up soft stuff and everyone was way out in front and off balance all game.

2. "Fans" who only went to be seen at the opener and sat in the stands talking about stuff other than baseball.
    I disagree with your first Con. Ludwick figured out Weaver.

I think it is easy to overlook because of the injury, but Ludwick has two walks in his only two plate appearances against a very good pitcher that only had 45 walks all of last year. Last year Ludwick had a very respectable .346 OBP... this year its 1.000 (and apparently he is going to be able to maintain that percentage for quite some time).

Having a batter with a good eye/high OBP + good power behind Votto will be very helpful if/when he returns.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Pros:

1. Cueto
    2. Choo

Cons:

I would just add that losing Ludwick for an extended period of time has to be considered a con.

Most of the pros and cons have been mentioned. The one thing I hated even more than us losing the game, was the stadium being less than half full as the game wore on. Embarrassing. "Ohhhh, it's cold! It's extra innings!" blah blah blah. Cincinnati sports fans always have a convenient excuse for their pitifullness.

Cueto was dominant, he made some very good hitters look foolish. He struck out Trout on a nasty changeup, and Hamilton and Pujols failed to make solid contact all day. He also had Trumbo flailing a few times.

Broxton and Chapman looked dominant. Hoover also had filthy stuff, just lost command on the final two batters he faced. I really wish he had stuck with the fastball to Conger.

Choo is a joy to watch. His plate approach is special, I really hope the Reds can lock him up long term.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Choo is a joy to watch. His plate approach is special, I really hope the Reds can lock him up long term.
    I know Boras is his agent, but every article I read about the guy is glowing and suggests that he forms real bonds with his team, front office and city.

I think it could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I liked the Ludwick signing. Honestly, I am not sure there was a better fit (both short term and long term) without selling the farm.
    Look at the huge contract Swisher got, coming off an 832 OPS year.
    Ludwick OPSed 877 last year.
    Granted, no guarantee that Ludwick was going to OPS 877 this year, but it's reasonable to assume Ludwick was going to be solid protection for Votto.

This is in no way bashing Jay Bruce, but his best year was 846 OPS (2010, although last year was darn close at 841).. I'm just illustrating what a great year Ludwick had last year.. Even at his age, bringing him back on that contract was a great gamble and a reasonable plan.

I know some people were saying they wish the Reds had a plan B in case something happened to Ludwick, but that's not really feasible.. I mean, if Phillips or Cozart were lost for the season, we'd have no plan B for them either.. It's impossible to plan for every possible injury.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I know some people were saying they wish the Reds had a plan B in case something happened to Ludwick, but that's not really feasible.. I mean, if Phillips or Cozart were lost for the season, we'd have no plan B for them either.. It's impossible to plan for every possible injury.
    The Reds do have a plan B (illy Hamilton). They just figured they'd have more time with plan A so that Billy could gain some experience before being thrown into the deep end. If Ludwick got injured in July they would have been in fine shape. Unfortunately, he got injured on opening day and now the Reds need to decide whether to ride it out with bench players in the starting lineup or rush the kid to the majors.

19. Likes:

REDREAD (04-04-2013)

If plan B is Billy H I hope there's a plan C/D because I'm not 100% convinced of his hitting here.

Turn Off Ads?