Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds/Nats Lincoln/Kennedy ?

Reds/Nats Lincoln/Kennedy ?

It may just be recency bias since I see the Nats (my 3rd favorite team) more often live than the Reds (#1 team) but I increasingly see some odd similarities. Kind of like that Lincoln/Kennedy trivia list if you know it.

Take today and a couple of other random factoids. I was at Opening Day here in DC and then caught most of the extended Reds game on MLB afterward.

1. Both teams set attendance records for a regular season game. For the Nats, was the 2nd biggest crowd follwing last year's Game 5 Division Series implosion versus the Cards.

2. Both have a nifty, shiny new centerfielder who showed he can get on base. Choo for us. Span here in DC, who got a hit and generally presented himself well. Span's the better player defensively but won't surprise me at all to see Choo do much better with the bat.

3. We solved a Stubbs problem by getting rid of Stubbs but may have another Stubbs problem in Heisey. Nats moved an outfielder (which created a problem/Michael Morse) and didn't clearly upgrade all in with Span but we'll see.

4. Both teams were great on the mound today. Can't wait for Cueto v. Strasburg on Sunday! Bullpens both very solid (Soriano was a huge relief closing in DC today). I can't pin too much blame on JJ. Eventually, any pitching staff will crack when the offense simply can't generate any offense.

5. Both teams have uncertain plans at catcher though the Nats are maybe a bit more stable with two solid ones sharing time (Suzuki/Ramos).

6. Both teams dominated their divisions last year. We loved being present for both clinching in DC and in CIN.

7. Both imploded in the 2012 Division Series and I'd argue it's an almost impossible debate which implosion was worse. Personally, I go with the Reds because that one hurt more even though I was at Nats Park when Storen gave up the 2 run lead in Game 5 and, with it, the chance to advance to the LCS. The Nats and Reds were supposed to face each other in the LCS last year but neither took care of business to make that happen.

8. Today's Luddy disaster reminded me a bit of similar disasters with Ryan Zimmerman and Jayson Werth last year. It still worked out okay for the Nats though. I'm sure the Reds will work through the Luddy DL time more or less successfully.

9. Back to today for a final one. Both teams sucked at the plate. One big factor explaining the difference between the two outcomes is we didn't have anyone step up like Harper did. Might argue Choo did. He surely did his job but didn't generate enough runs by himself like Harper did with his two dingers. Biggest difference though was the challenge. Angels are formidable. Marlins...not so much.

That's all that comes to mind for now. Do some of these comparisons make sense?

Heading out to the motherland for 2 of the 3 games this weekend at GABP and then down to Louisville to see Mr. Hamilton for the first time. Really looking forward to it. Very excited about this season!
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Re: Reds/Nats Lincoln/Kennedy ?

Quote Originally Posted by 1940757690 View Post
    I see the Nats (my 3rd favorite team) more often live than the Reds (#1 team)

7. Both imploded in the 2012 Division Series and I'd argue it's an almost impossible debate which implosion was worse. Personally, I go with the Reds because that one hurt more even though I was at Nats Park when Storen gave up the 2 run lead in Game 5 and, with it, the chance to advance to the LCS. The Nats and Reds were supposed to face each other in the LCS last year but neither took care of business to make that happen.
    Nice analysis! Now to nitpick lol.

3rd favorite team?!? I have always believed you can only have one favorite team. Perhaps a fav team in the NL and a fav team in the AL. You can dislike/hate teams too and then have "all of the rest".

The Nats playoffs implosion was MUCH MUCH worse. 6-0 lead in the deciding game. A 9-7 lead entering the 9th inning. Not even close. Sure the REDS were up 2-0 after 2 games, but in a 5-game series that is not at all a cinch. To implode in the last game in the fashion that the Nats did makes them Usain Bolt in the implosion race.
    Last edited by RedFanAlways1966; 04-02-2013 at 07:52 AM.

Big difference is Jayson Werth. Reds are never giving out that kind of contract to a free agent. Nats get a little too much credit for building a good system IMO. They had two no brainer number one picks so I don't give them credit for drafting well there. Every MLB team wouldve made those picks. There one major FA signing so far has been a bust. Gio trade seems good but they need to make a few more good decisions before I put their front office and overall organization on level with Reds.

Good analysis by the OP. I'll be down at Nats Park next Saturday and then late in the month when the Reds come to town. The Nats have done a great job building this franchise as quickly as they did. I'll give them credit for not shying away from Strasburg and Harper because they knew they would be hard to sign. A number of other franchises would have passed over them for that reason. This was basically an expansion team when the Expos moved here. Not much of farm system and not much talent at all. It takes a lot to get a buzz about any sports teams in DC not named the Redskins but they have done it here. I really expect a Reds/Nationals NLCS this season. It came really close to happening last year.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Nice analysis! Now to nitpick lol.

3rd favorite team?!? I have always believed you can only have one favorite team. Perhaps a fav team in the NL and a fav team in the AL. You can dislike/hate teams too and then have "all of the rest".

The Nats playoffs implosion was MUCH MUCH worse. 6-0 lead in the deciding game. A 9-7 lead entering the 9th inning. Not even close. Sure the REDS were up 2-0 after 2 games, but in a 5-game series that is not at all a cinch. To implode in the last game in the fashion that the Nats did makes them Usain Bolt in the implosion race.
    On the fav team philosophy, I'm actually very much in agreement with you but here's the story and you tell me if it floats. Started paying attention in the early 70s with 75 really getting my attention and cementing the deal. Reds fav forever. Sox #2. NL/AL. Then moved to DC many years ago. Had to adopt the local team, no? Especially in a city like DC that had been arguably tortured more than any other when it comes to baseball? When (it's not an if) the Reds face the Nats in postseason, I'll be rooting Reds all the way though. In keeping with the decisions made nearly 40 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Big difference is Jayson Werth. Reds are never giving out that kind of contract to a free agent. Nats get a little too much credit for building a good system IMO. They had two no brainer number one picks so I don't give them credit for drafting well there. Every MLB team wouldve made those picks. There one major FA signing so far has been a bust. Gio trade seems good but they need to make a few more good decisions before I put their front office and overall organization on level with Reds.
    Some good points there but you're cherry picking. What about LaRoche? Carried the team last year for long stretches. What about Storen (Game 5 implosion aside)? Clippard? Suzuki was key in the stretch last year. Smart, less expensive, pickup. The decision to bring Johnson back into the dugout? How about unsung heros like Lombardozzi, Bernadina, Matheus, and, most of all, Desmond? Oh, and homegrown Detwiler and JZimm? Need more? Do I win now?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Good analysis by the OP. I'll be down at Nats Park next Saturday and then late in the month when the Reds come to town. The Nats have done a great job building this franchise as quickly as they did. I'll give them credit for not shying away from Strasburg and Harper because they knew they would be hard to sign. A number of other franchises would have passed over them for that reason. This was basically an expansion team when the Expos moved here. Not much of farm system and not much talent at all. It takes a lot to get a buzz about any sports teams in DC not named the Redskins but they have done it here. I really expect a Reds/Nationals NLCS this season. It came really close to happening last year.
    PM me before your trip here and I'd gladly buy a round. Would be cool to meet.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

Turn Off Ads?