Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who gets the call for Ludwick going on the DL??

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lutz

12 13.79%
  • Phipps

34 39.08%
  • Robinson

24 27.59%
  • Hamilton

9 10.34%
  • trade/other please list on forum page your idea

8 9.20%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: who gets the call if Ludwick needs to be on the DL??

Re: who gets the call if Ludwick needs to be on the DL??

I would take a shot on Chone Figgins as he's a +34 DRS at 3rd, if he's pans out he has the versatility to play everyone once we get back to 100%. ST stats don't mean anything but at least he looked good this spring with Miami hitting .308 with a .367 OBP.

No doubt he was a mess with Seattle but maybe a change of scenery would help fix him like it did Ludwick getting out of SD, plus the price is no doubt right. He had a .237, .215 BABIP the last two years maybe he can find some luck with us. If he did start getting a few hits it would have potential to be a plus pick up with his OBP and speed along with the versatility.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by HometownHero View Post
    I would take a shot on Chone Figgins as he's a +34 DRS at 3rd, if he's pans out he has the versatility to play everyone once we get back to 100%. ST stats don't mean anything but at least he looked good this spring with Miami hitting .308 with a .367 OBP.

No doubt he was a mess with Seattle but maybe a change of scenery would help fix him like it did Ludwick getting out of SD, plus the price is no doubt right. He had a .237, .215 BABIP the last two years maybe he can find some luck with us. If he did start getting a few hits it would have potential to be a plus pick up with his OBP and speed along with the versatility.
    If we're going outside the organization, Casper Wells was recently DFAd and has a career .838 OPS against LHP. With the Reds top offensive guys being Votto, Choo and Bruce, a lefty killer may come in handy. I'd probably rather have him than Phipps or any of the minor leaguers at AAA until Hamilton proves ready.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If we're going outside the organization, Casper Wells was recently DFAd and has a career .838 OPS against LHP. With the Reds top offensive guys being Votto, Choo and Bruce, a lefty killer may come in handy. I'd probably rather have him than Phipps or any of the minor leaguers at AAA until Hamilton proves ready.

I thought about Wells too when looking at the late cuts but he was really terrible this spring and didn't offer the same versatility to keep on the roster long term. Plus I have also wanted us to take a shot on rehabbing Figgins since Seattle let him go. Between those amazing low BABIP numbers and what he was I know there is still a good player in there somewhere and at the cost of only a roster spot I would love to see us take a gamble.

Worst case scenario he sucks and we call up someone from the minors in a week or so after they get steady MiLB ABs. Best case we get a switch hitter who can play ever position who can draw you a walk and steal some bags.

As unbelievably bad as Figgins was these last two years he was still better than both Wilson Valdez and Miguel Cairo who we gave 364 PA too last year and they didn't have the type of career he had hitting .287 with a .359 OBP over 1097 games before falling off the face of the planet the last two years, plus they were playing in a hitters park and he was in a premier pitching yard.

Never been a big fan of the low power, waterbug types. Figgins had lots of speed in his day, could play acceptably (but not necessarily good) at a lot of positions and got on base enough to be a force. He was all about his speed. Now he's 35, has lost at least a step (probably more), isn't much of a choice on defense for anything other than at an OF corner and hasn't had a good season since 2009. His K/BB ratio has gone the wrong way 3 years in a row.

Sometimes low BABIP is due to consistently poor contact and a lack of hitting the ball with any authority. Time for Chone to look back at a nice career and spend his days counting his money IMO. I'd rather have Denis Phipps.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Ludwick won't miss the entire season, but there is a chance he could miss like three months. I don't think that's out of the question at all. Probably worst case, but still possible.

If he's out that long, the Reds should absolutely move Choo to LF and play Heisey or Hamilton in CF.
    If there's structural damage, such as a torn labrum, he's almost definitely out for the year. I'm certainly hoping the MRI doesn't show that.

The Ludwick injury is only the baseball gods trying to keep the NL Central competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Assuming no trade/FA to be had. Do you consider Hamilton if Ludwick is out for the year. Or do you try to ride it out with Heisey?
    If it were me, I would have sat Hamilton down weeks ago and said "You are going to Louisville and spend the year there hitting AAA pitching. Don't read the newspaper. Don't think about playing in cincy." That's what Hamilton needs right now if the reds want him to be successful.

Lutz isn't ready.

That leaves Phipps or Hamilton to sit at the end of the bench while Heisey and Paul rotate time in left field. I would go with Phipps, but Hamilton is a decent answer.

Just say no to overpromoting your prospects based on the needs of the big league roster.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

9. Likes:

Roy Tucker (04-02-2013)

I'd sign Rolen, and have Frazier bounce between LF and 3B, kind of platooning Rolen and Heisey.

Went with Phipps. I would let him take Heiseys role and Heisey fill Ludwicks in LF for at least 3 weeks just to see what he did with it. Then alter plans if needed based on that. The lineup would unfortunately have to be adjusted though. Move Frazier up to fourth for now so the whole lineup isnt affected. Don't see that being a long term answer if Ludwick is pretty much useless this season.

Phipps for spot starts and as a RHPH. Rotate Heisey/Frazier in LF, give Hanahan a start or two per week, and give Heisey a start in CF when Choo needs rest. That's more Heisey than most of us would like, but if it's only for 4-6 weeks I think this team can pull it off without a hitch.

If the injury looks more serious it might be time to see what kind of bat Corcino or Cingrani could net.

I'm wondering if there isn't a 3B guy (not named Rolen) outside the organization, who might be able to get a few starts at 3B, allowing Frazier to move to LF.

It actually may be one piece of the puzzle (finding a Plan B in LF) I felt Walt Jocketty overlooked this off season. I never was completely sold on Todd Frazier as the starter at 3B. I saw him more as a super-sub. Well, now he has a chance to sub.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Phipps, but I'd actually like to see Lutz get the call.

And please, no Rolen. Frazier needs to know that he's the 3B, and not some utility guy.

Phipps because he can supply some power against lefties.

If it's a full year injury, then anything can happen, trades, changes of position, whatever.

Shorter term? I think Heisey bats second and plays left. Phillips moves to cleanup. XPaul becomes the fourth outfielder and plays occasionally.

I think this is Heisey's last big chance. He didn't do well when Stubbs was hurt last season. I hope he makes good this time. He can be a good second place hitter if he makes a bit more contact.

16. Likes:

puca (04-02-2013)

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

If it's only for a few months, I'd move Choo to LF, put Heisey/Paul in CF and just wait it out. Maybe call up Phipps after a few weeks in AAA.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Phipps for spot starts and as a RHPH. Rotate Heisey/Frazier in LF, give Hanahan a start or two per week, and give Heisey a start in CF when Choo needs rest. That's more Heisey than most of us would like, but if it's only for 4-6 weeks I think this team can pull it off without a hitch.

If the injury looks more serious it might be time to see what kind of bat Corcino or Cingrani could net.
    I like your thinking, except I don't think trading rotation depth is such a good idea. Especially with Arroyo probably shipping out after this season.

They simply cannot replace Ludwick. I guess we have to suck it up.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Turn Off Ads?