Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Am I being unreasonable?

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Am I being unreasonable?

So I just joined a new team in an adult baseball league with our first game in 2 weeks. Last year's team decided that the manager would buy a new team bat for the 2013 season and everyone would pay their portion. They drafted me and now expect me to pay my 23$ portion like everyone else. The problem is, I have my own bat. I'm only playing on this team for half the season before I move to England. The league here in Korea allows a -5 oz weight differential and the league in England has a -3oz rule. My bat is -3 and end loaded. 1) I don't want to swing a balanced bat with a -5 before playing for 3 seasons with a -3. 2) I was not apart of the decision to buy a new team bat last year. 3) everyone on the team can use my bat if they want for free. 4) I will be paying a full season worth while only playing half the year.

Am I being unreasonable by not wanting to pay for the "team bat?"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Am I being unreasonable?

No. You are the only one one being reasonable.

There is zero reason for you to pay. Let everyone else pay the extra $2 each to get their bat.

First, it's great to know baseball is alive & well in the "Land of Morning Calm".
    I served there '87-'88. If you are going to be with the team for a half season, offer to pay a half share. That way you are contributing to the team for the time you are a team member.

잘다녀오십시오!
    You have to have a catcher because if you don't you're likely to have a lot of passed balls.
    -Casey Stengel
    Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny.
    -Frank Zappa

It's $23. Is this really the hill you want to die on?

I know that can be a lot of money to some, I don't want to minimize it, but it's a small amount of money to engender some good will with your team. Be the good guy here, in general I find that not worrying about small amounts of money among friends and relatives (presumably you consider them friends) is always the way to go and pays off over time.
    Last edited by Redsfaithful; 04-02-2013 at 06:12 PM.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

6. Likes:

jojo (04-02-2013),M2 (04-07-2013),Nathan (04-08-2013),redsfanmia (04-02-2013),Roy Tucker (04-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    So I just joined a new team in an adult baseball league with our first game in 2 weeks. Last year's team decided that the manager would buy a new team bat for the 2013 season and everyone would pay their portion. They drafted me and now expect me to pay my 23$ portion like everyone else. The problem is, I have my own bat. I'm only playing on this team for half the season before I move to England. The league here in Korea allows a -5 oz weight differential and the league in England has a -3oz rule. My bat is -3 and end loaded. 1) I don't want to swing a balanced bat with a -5 before playing for 3 seasons with a -3. 2) I was not apart of the decision to buy a new team bat last year. 3) everyone on the team can use my bat if they want for free. 4) I will be paying a full season worth while only playing half the year.

Am I being unreasonable by not wanting to pay for the "team bat?"
    There is no I in team.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

OK...... old school here..... what the hell kind of bat is this that costs $250 or more.....?

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    It's $23. Is this really the hill you want to die on?

I know that can be a lot of money to some, I don't want to minimize it, but it's a small amount of money to engender some good will with your team. Be the good guy here, in general I find that not worrying about small amounts of money among friends and relatives (presumably you consider them friends) is always the way to go and pays off over time.
    True. I don't know these guys at all and its only 20$. I guess it was just the principle of it. Oh here's to my warning track power taking me to an all-star game appearance.

Just let them know what you filled us in on. I don't think it would be a huge deal.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    OK...... old school here..... what the hell kind of bat is this that costs $250 or more.....?
    Maybe it has a built in MP3 player so that you can play your own intro music.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Every bat now days..And $250 for a bat isnt even top of the line

I remember paying over $100 for a bat in 1992. So $250 in 2013 does not seem out of line.

Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    Every bat now days..And $250 for a bat isnt even top of the line
    Yep, and if you pay less than $100 for one you may as well throw it right in the garbage.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25 View Post
    Yep, and if you pay less than $100 for one you may as well throw it right in the garbage.
    Yep. My friend bought one for $75 a few years ago. We went out and I threw some to him. He is 6'4" 200 and I was throwing, 70, tops. After about 20 minutes, the bat was literally bent from that. We couldn't believe it.

A cheap one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Ah, for the days when you could go down to your local hardware store and buy a good Johnny Bench model Louisville Slugger wood bat for less than $10.

I purchased three bats in my baseball playing days. Said Johnny Bench model, a Bake McBride signature Adirondack wood bat, and an aluminum bat, all in the early to mid '80s. The Johnny Bench bat broke, which was heart-wrenching. The aluminum bat got dented to all hell when I moved up to the 16-17 year old league, and the Bake McBride was still kicking around last I heard, being used by my brother-in-law for softball.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?