Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Batting Orders, Bunting, and Dusty

Re: Batting Orders, Bunting, and Dusty

Quote Originally Posted by UCBrownsfan View Post
    If you take Votto's rough three year average vs LHP .912 and Down's three year average vs LHB .486 and average THOSE together you get .699

Why would you ever average those together? Do you not think most pitchers Votto goes against have a distinct advantage agaisnt left handed batters? Votto is the top 1%, Downs maybe is the top 15%

Maybe a weighted mean? Votto's 600 appearance, compared to Down's 250 appearance in those situation I could buy. But comparing these splits, you have to compare them to a baseline,

Chapman has a 3 year OPS against of .358 agaisnt lefties, and I'd still have him pitch to Phillips over Votto.
    Never question the madness. The man has more Nobel Prizes than Wilt Chamberlain had girlfriends. Or close to it anyway.
    Last edited by texasdave; 04-04-2013 at 06:18 PM.
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

2. Likes:

Raisor (04-04-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Why not?

I did it for the science.
    "Good heavens Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"

Pay attention to the open sky

5. Likes:

Raisor (04-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    "Good heavens Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
    Bad Roy! Bad!

Now I have that song in my head.

Good thing I've always loved that song.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

"But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

1. (Not about the article, but the title) Sacrifice bunts are by definition rally killers. They are done to increase the odds of getting one pivotal run in at the expense of a big inning. Many Saber guys hate it because they value all runs the same and think you need to score as many runs as possible, always, period. They see winning baseball as a matter of run differential over a whole season, not winning 162 individual games. Old school guys think there are times when it is more important to get just one run, than it is have a sustained rally. Hence, they bunt.

2. Concerning the Dodger scenarios, (don't follow the Jr. league, so I can't say anything about the Mariner's scenario). I really like Cameron, but he completely ignores what crap hitters Uribe and Ellis are. I see them similar to pitchers. Bunt them whenever possible.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Genius.

BTW, the Dodgers scenario reads less like the Shakepeare many who hate the DH would argue is the NL style and more like a Greek tragedy.

The Seattle scenario just highlights the dramatic differences between the AL and NL style. Oh wait. Nevermind.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?