Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 261

Thread: Batting Orders, Bunting, and Dusty

  1. #46
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,398

    Re: Batting Orders, Bunting, and Dusty

    I love the idea of Bruce hitting second, but the odds of Dusty slotting him there are somewhere between 0% and 0.1%.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    Reds 5:11 coachw513's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    642

    Re: Batting Orders, Bunting, and Dusty

    Followed game on phone so didn't see or hear reaction to the bunt...told my daughter beforehand that Dusty would have BP lay it down...

    So it comes down to this:
    1. Bunt BP, walk Votto, trust Heisey and Bruce
    2. BP makes an out, pitch around Votto, trust Heisey
    3. BP makes an out, Angels stupidly pitch to Votto

    So it seems that for Dusty, he would rather have Bruce face a LOOGY, than BP face the reliever that was in the game, considering he also has the advantage of extra ways to score a runner from 3rd (WP, etc)...

    I don't personally agree and if there was even a 5% chance that Votto was going to get a pitch to hit with 2 outs, that would clinch it for me...

    But I am legitimately interested in the well-versed opinions here...

    Maybe a poll...not to bash Dusty or to rehash the game thread but a legitimate poll about that singular situation and how people view it???


    You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

    Though many of us here are sure trying

  4. #48
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,560

    Re: Batting Orders, Bunting, and Dusty

    Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    But, if you're going to have a 2 hole hitter who's bunting a bunch...Heisey might be the better option. He's probably the best bunter on the team.
    Heisey also whiffs way too much (he Ks at nearly twice the rate of BP) and makes way too many outs in general. I don't want him anywhere near the top of the lineup.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  5. Likes:

    westofyou (04-02-2013)

  6. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    12,777

    Re: Batting Orders, Bunting, and Dusty

    Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I love the idea of Bruce hitting second, but the odds of Dusty slotting him there are somewhere between 0% and 0.1%.
    If Bruce hits second you have --
    Lefty
    Lefty
    Lefty
    Righty
    Righty
    Righty
    Righty
    Righty
    Pitcher

    Won't happen and shouldn't happen IMO.

    Now if you introduce XPaul (a lefty) into the lineup to platoon with Ludwick out, then it opens up some possibilities.

  7. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,064

    Re: Batting Orders, Bunting, and Dusty

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Didn't Dusty have BP trying to sac bunt back in the third inning also?
    I think that was Datdude trying to bunt on his own since it only lasted one swing.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  8. #51
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    33,776

    Re: Batting Orders, Bunting, and Dusty


  9. Likes:

    bigredmechanism (04-02-2013), Kc61 (04-02-2013), puca (04-02-2013)

  10. #52
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,136
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    This is by far my least favorite day of the season. It feels like a whole extra offseason.
    Yes, it's ridiculous if you ask me. Why can't we play the rest of the series in consecutive days? Surely we could schedule a different off day later in the season, when they have one of the long trips where they play like 15 in a row!

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

    Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

  11. #53
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    33,776

    Re: Batting Orders, Bunting, and Dusty

    Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Yes, it's ridiculous if you ask me. Why can't we play the rest of the series in consecutive days? Surely we could schedule a different off day later in the season, when they have one of the long trips where they play like 15 in a row!

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    They are worried about rainouts. With opening day being so big here, they don't chance it.

  12. #54
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    5,706

    Re: Batting Orders, Bunting, and Dusty

    While I am not a fan of the sac bunt, if you are going to do it then doing it in the 8th inning or later is the best bet. In the 3rd or whenever it was, it was silly to give away an out an a shot at the bigger inning. The last time one run would have made all the difference so I can't be too critical of the decision.

    The comment about Phillips is interesting as the DP is a concern with him. Baker's comment may indicate that he is a little uncertain of Phillips in the two hole. If BHam was ready I wonder if we would see Choo in the 2 and LF. (I don't think we see BHam up. My guess is Robinson or a trade if Lud is down longterm)

  13. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Cincy
    Posts
    808

    Re: Batting Orders, Bunting, and Dusty

    Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    While I am not a fan of the sac bunt, if you are going to do it then doing it in the 8th inning or later is the best bet. In the 3rd or whenever it was, it was silly to give away an out an a shot at the bigger inning. The last time one run would have made all the difference so I can't be too critical of the decision.

    The comment about Phillips is interesting as the DP is a concern with him. Baker's comment may indicate that he is a little uncertain of Phillips in the two hole. If BHam was ready I wonder if we would see Choo in the 2 and LF. (I don't think we see BHam up. My guess is Robinson or a trade if Lud is down longterm)
    I'm fairly confident there was no sac bunt called for in the 3rd. Phillips gave a token fake on the 1st pitch to try to get the fielders in closer. If I'm wrong, then I agree with you that would be stupid to bunt there.
    RALLY CAPS!

  14. #56
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    536

    Re: Batting Orders, Bunting, and Dusty

    You're all wrong. Dusty was right in THAT situation.

    How did the Reds score their first run? A wild pitch. The BP bunt moved over Choo to third only 90 ft from a run, therefore a passed ball/wild pitch results in a run. Now with runners on 3rd/2nd, a single scores two runs rather than one.

    I find it unnerving that people are giving Bruce a pass here. It was his responsibility to drive in those runs, he is suppose to be our big RBI's hitter. Posters rather blame the manager over the player.

  15. #57
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    158

    Re: Batting Orders, Bunting, and Dusty

    Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    You're all wrong. Dusty was right in THAT situation.

    How did the Reds score their first run? A wild pitch. The BP bunt moved over Choo to third only 90 ft from a run, therefore a passed ball/wild pitch results in a run. Now with runners on 3rd/2nd, a single scores two runs rather than one.

    I find it unnerving that people are giving Bruce a pass here. It was his responsibility to drive in those runs, he is suppose to be our big RBI's hitter. Posters rather blame the manager over the player.
    I'm glad Dusty was so right and the Reds won! What a way to start the year! Now I agree that hindsight is 20/20 and you can't judge every decision by the results, but it is at least worth the discussing. And if you want to blame a player it Heisey would be a little more worthy as all he had to do was put the ball in play. I hated the decision as it was happening and still don't like it. I can't say it was a horrible baseball move, but I want to win or lose with Votto and Phillips.

  16. #58
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    33,776

    Re: Batting Orders, Bunting, and Dusty

    Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    You're all wrong. Dusty was right in THAT situation.

    How did the Reds score their first run? A wild pitch. The BP bunt moved over Choo to third only 90 ft from a run, therefore a passed ball/wild pitch results in a run. Now with runners on 3rd/2nd, a single scores two runs rather than one.

    I find it unnerving that people are giving Bruce a pass here. It was his responsibility to drive in those runs, he is suppose to be our big RBI's hitter. Posters rather blame the manager over the player.
    So, you would rather count on the opposing pitcher throwing a wild pitch than take your chances with Joey Votto swinging the bat?

  17. Likes:

    AtomicDumpling (04-02-2013), bigredmechanism (04-02-2013), CySeymour (04-02-2013), Homer Bailey (04-02-2013), puca (04-02-2013), Raisor (04-02-2013)

  18. #59
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,703

    Re: Batting Orders, Bunting, and Dusty

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Heisey also whiffs way too much (he Ks at nearly twice the rate of BP) and makes way too many outs in general. I don't want him anywhere near the top of the lineup.
    I don't disagree with this, but they were talking about a guy who was going to be bunting a bunch. I was only looking at it from that perspective. In general, Heisey should be batting around the same spot as Cozart in the 6-8'ish range.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  19. #60
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    14,402

    Re: Batting Orders, Bunting, and Dusty

    Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I love the idea of Bruce hitting second, but the odds of Dusty slotting him there are somewhere between 0% and 0.1%.
    so you're saying there's a chance???
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  20. Likes:

    puca (04-02-2013)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25