Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 47 Pitches from Hoover?

47 Pitches from Hoover?

I am not trying to start a thread to bash Dusty, but did anybody else start to worry like I did when Hoover took the mound for a second inning? Most of his second inning he was obviously struggling with command. of his 47 pitches, only 26 were strikes. He hits a batter on a 1-2 count and then walks the next batter on 4 pitches. Why was there not at least somebody up and throwing? We still had 3 guys in the bullpen including Simon who can go multiple innings. I guess I am interested in what you all think on that situation. I feel there should have been somebody at least up and throwing when the first man gets on so when he loads the bases somebody is ready to be brought in.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: 47 Pitches from Hoover?

Simon WAS up just so you know. Maybe not to start the inning, but shortly thereafter for sure. And I agree with you, 2 innings from Hoover was pushing him a bit. I would've had him on a short leash. But that's nitpicking because he looked awfully good up until the HBP.

Things just got away from Hoover which cost the go-ahead runs and upped his pitch count.

Sometimes things are hard to control, no problem him throwing two innings, the inning just got away from him.

I'd just give him an extra day's rest now, keep him out of Wednesday's ballgame.

When a game goes that many innings, you have to get two innings out of your relievers. The problem was with Hoover. Why'd he need so many pitches to get through 2 innings?

To be perfectly honest, I'm glad it didn't get the point of Mike Leake entering the game. While I probably would've used it, I would've hated to see him lose the Opening Day game after what happened in the playoffs last year and hearing from all the banana phone callers about how this guy needs to be traded for Mike Trout and Jared Weaver.

7. Likes:

bigredmechanism (04-02-2013)

Why was Dusty not wanting Marshall to get into that game?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

I always wonder why Chapman isn't allowed to pitch a second inning if the game goes to extra innings. The man was a starter and they thought about letting him start this season so durability shouldn't be a problem.

10. Likes:

mth123 (04-03-2013),Nasty_Boy (04-02-2013),RichRed (04-03-2013)

it only got to 47 pitches b/c he had like 1-2 count then hits a batter with 2 outs to load the bases. then i think the next guy that drove in 2 runs had like a 8 pitch at bat.

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    it only got to 47 pitches b/c he had like 1-2 count then hits a batter with 2 outs to load the bases. then i think the next guy that drove in 2 runs had like a 8 pitch at bat.
    He hit a batter with a 1-2 count and then walked the next batter on 4 pitches and was all over the zone that at bat. Then he gave up the 2 run single.

I think Dusty is big on letting his relievers know he has confidence in them.

Once Hoover gave up the go ahead runs, I thought it was a good idea to go ahead and let him finish the game (Win expectancy was low at that point anyhow).

I think Hoover had two strikes on the backup catcher (who was pinch hitting) before he hit him with a pitch.

Mistakes happen.

I think after that 17 inning marathon (where Dusty was accused of ruining Harang), Dusty now manages his pen much more carefullly in extra innings. Not really a bad thing.

Hoover needs to be able to pitch 2 innings when the team needs him. He also needs to know he's not going to get yanked off the mound as soon as he gets in trouble. The result was a bummer, but I don't have a problem with how Dusty handled it.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    I always wonder why Chapman isn't allowed to pitch a second inning if the game goes to extra innings. The man was a starter and they thought about letting him start this season so durability shouldn't be a problem.
    From my seat in the View Level Chapman didn't see to be completely on his game yesterday. No need to put a dent in his confidence by letting him blow the game in his second inning of work. I think he might have went two if he had his Grade A stuff last night (though his "off-night" is better than most guys when they are on). Last night was tailor-made for Sam Lecure and he answered the bell.

Has starting experience, I wasn't too concerned about it.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

I think the Reds out thought itself in the 13th inning last night. With Hoover dealing, they elected to intentionally walk Howard Kendrick (0-3), to get to pinch hitter Hank Conger.

Conger batted just above .200 last season, so at the time that made some sense. However, you open yourself up to the possibilities when you do that. Conger got hit and the bases were loaded and the rest is history.

I don't know what I would have elected to do. I am not here to second guess.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    I think the Reds out thought itself in the 13th inning last night. With Hoover dealing, they elected to intentionally walk Howard Kendrick (0-3), to get to pinch hitter Hank Conger.

Conger batted just above .200 last season, so at the time that made some sense. However, you open yourself up to the possibilities when you do that. Conger got hit and the bases were loaded and the rest is history.

I don't know what I would have elected to do. I am not here to second guess.
    Dusty out think himself?

No.

18. Likes:

remdog (04-02-2013)

Walking Kendrick didn't bother me. Conger was well on his way to grabbing some bench until Hoover lost control of one.

Turn Off Ads?