Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Lineup synergy

Lineup synergy

I was reading the thread on the reds being worse this year, and I was going to make this a post within that thread, but I've seen this as an issue for the Reds for awhile so I figured id create my first thread on RZ.

Lineup synergy is a term I coined amongst my friends to describe/explain how the lineup for a team is more than just a collection of stats to produce runs, but an operating unit as a whole that works towards creating those runs based on maximizing each players skillset and handedness. More or less its the the flow of one player in the lineup to the next to create runs.

As of right now I don't see the reds lineup being set up to create maximum synergy to score runs. I see it going from one batter who gets on choo, to a batter, that can't get him over, heisey, to a guy that is constantly pitched around and having his talents minimized in votto, then Phillips who can get hot and give good at bats but other times swings from his heels, followed by Bruce who is feast or famine and gets caught swinging from his heels and followed by a Frazier, a lesser version of Bruce followed by cozart who can get on when he sees fastballs and hanigan who honestly right now looks like mini Jason larue but with no pop.

The end result is choo gets on. He can't get over. Votto gets on then we hope to god someone goes deep so we score. The reds have difficulty scoring not via the longball under the current lineup, so ill suggest some modifications to help create lineup synergy using the players on the current major league roster.

Cozart
    Votto
    Phillips
    Choo
    Frazier
    Bruce
    Mes/hanigan
    Heisey/Paul

Cozart did well in the two slot last year because he saw fastballs in front of votto.
    Votto is votto. Under this lineup he can get on or drive in cozart when he does plus he has double barreled protection in Phillips and choo to minimize pitch arounds
    Phillips-says 3 is his favorite spot to hit. Raked in it last year.
    Choo-great pure hitter and has the crucial ability to be able to drive in runs not via the longball. The other guys get on choo understands a hit can get them in not just a homer
    Frazier/Bruce- I kinda see them as interchangable depending on who's pitching. Both are kind feast or famine guys but Bruce's feast level production is better.
    Mes/hanigan-hanigans bat is looking weak enough that its overriding his D. Lets give mes more at bats.
    Paul/heisey-if they can get on the pitcher can bunt them over. Drinking on how hot they are occasionally flip flop with cozart.

Anyway....any thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lineup synergy

Depending not drinking lol. Gotta love iPhone auto correct

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Well, the Reds are averaging around 5 runs per game, so really it's the pitching that has let us down so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Well, the Reds are averaging around 5 runs per game, so really it's the pitching that has let us down so far.
    The Reds should have definitely beaten the pirates when scoring 5 or 7 runs, but I think that runs per game stat is skewed because of the 15-0 game versus the nats where Haren looked like he was throwing BP and the cardinals 9 run ninth that saw some serioys luck on our side. Other than that we've led the league in Ks with RISP. Our offense seems to depending on the longball a lot to score which can generally come back to bite you. Against good pitching run producers like Bruce have looked lost. By giving choo a chance to bat 4 and votto 2 the reds could use vottos on base skill as well as choos ability to make more constant contact than Bruce to make "luck" happen in balls on play. Plus it's make teams think twice about walking votto because there'd be two players capable of making regular contact behind him rather than Phillips followed by I hope to god Bruce or Frazier connect.

I really hope the bullpen gets better. I think it's kind of a matter of misuse. Overwork of Hoover and underwork of chapman and broxton. That'll work itself out. In tight games against good teams I can kinda see the lineup being an issue hence this thread.

Didn't we try cozart in the leadoff spot once before and he struggled really bad?

Yes he did but he had the human strike out machine drew Stubbs behind him. Here he'd have votto, and last year with votto behind him in the 2 spot he batted well. I think it's not so much the spot in the order but who is around you in that spot. In a perfect world Bham lights it up in AAA and he's leading off.

I agree the runs scored statistic is off because of the 15-0 Nats game and 9 run inning against the Cards. Many people seem to be overlooking those games when talking about how well the Reds are producing runs.

This is a big "if" but IF Brandon Phillips continues to be hot in the cleanup spot Votto will probably start to see more pitches and will get hot. IF this happens I think it will take pressure off the rest of the lineup to produce runs and they will have a more relaxed approach and we will see an increase in production.

Here's to that scenario happening

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I agree the runs scored statistic is off because of the 15-0 Nats game and 9 run inning against the Cards. Many people seem to be overlooking those games when talking about how well the Reds are producing runs.

This is a big "if" but IF Brandon Phillips continues to be hot in the cleanup spot Votto will probably start to see more pitches and will get hot. IF this happens I think it will take pressure off the rest of the lineup to produce runs and they will have a more relaxed approach and we will see an increase in production.

Here's to that scenario happening
    I second that!

I understand your logic in batting Cozart first but I just don't have much faith in him as a hitter. How bout' this? See any synergy here?

Choo
    Votto
    Phillips
    Frazier
    Bruce
    Heisey
    Cozart
    Hannigan

Quote Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
    I understand your logic in batting Cozart first but I just don't have much faith in him as a hitter. How bout' this? See any synergy here?

Choo
    Votto
    Phillips
    Frazier
    Bruce
    Heisey
    Cozart
    Hannigan
    If Frazier and Bruce can be consistent hitters then yes. As a Reds fan I really hope they can, but history has shown that they are up and down a lot and very susceptible to the strikeout. I was trying to construct a lineup that will put the ball in play after votto bats. While Bruce and Frazier have the potential to be those kind of guys in the future and have legit power now, I think choo could put the ball in play more. Having said that though I really hope Bruce and Frazier can cut down the streakiness and Ks and prove me wrong. It'll make for one exciting summer!

And as I side note, I don't believe hanigan is going to be batting below the interstate all summer, but perhaps it'd be a good idea to let mes catch cingrani so we can see what his bat will look like with some more consistent playing time.

Turn Off Ads?