Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Ludwick to 15 day DL; surgery set for Wednesday

Re: Ludwick to 15 day DL; surgery set for Wednesday

On timing for a possible return, just one case and not necessarily entirely the same but Michael Morse had a similar injury five years ago. He fully recovered from it (at a younger age) but lost a lot of time. This from his wikipedia page:

"After playing only 5 games in 2008, Morse suffered a torn labrum diving for a ball against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim; he had surgery to repair it and missed the rest of the season."
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If the Reds play a "lower scoring game" it won't be because they designed it that way. The Reds put a lot of effort into improving their run production.

It's too soon to tell if it will work, I hope it does, but let's not make it sound like the "low scoring game" is by design; it isn't.
    Actually I don't mean the Reds as a point, I mean game wide there will be less runs, less HRs more teams (like the Dbacks) trumpeting contact baseball.. Count on it runs will dip and every old school trick will be mentioned

The Reds park is not built for that nor are the Reds, but count on seeing it more and more than the past 20 years and occasionally by the Reds

The game is swinging a tad, guys aren't hitting as big and the three true outcomes are more two out of three outcomes, the % of balls in play us at a all time low, it's natural that someone will try something to counter that

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    The bottom line is that Ludwick seriously stepped up last year when Votto got hurt, and now, no matter what moves are made, we need some folks to step it up the same way.
    Presumably Votto will step up.

5. Likes:

vaticanplum (04-05-2013)

Re: Ludwick injury - dislocated shoulder

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    whats heisey potential? ive always looked at him as a bench guy.
    I think it's more than what we've seen. In his career the most plate appearances he's had in back-to-back months has been 82 and 83. The next most is 62 and 53. That's hardly a fair opportunity to show one's worth. A Starter in Spring Training can easily get over 100 plate appearances along with another 225 plate appearances by the first week of June, a time period by many to be a warmup for the more important at-bats of June through October, such as Ludwick's plate appearances last Summer.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Michael Morse? Isn't he tearing it up for the Mariners right now?
    Yes, he is.

From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

Michael Morse hit a pair of homers and drove in four runs in the Mariners' 7-1 win over the A's on Tuesday.

Morse put the M's on the board with a three-run homer off Jarrod Parker in the third and finished the scoring with a solo shot in the ninth. This fresh off a spring in which he set a Mariners record with nine homers, so he's on fire right now, no doubt. It'll be up to AL pitchers to adjust to him or maybe start pitching around him until he cools off.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 04-03-2013 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Not an impulse shopper, Walt will try and work out the issue from within, he will not posture himself in the market as needy, if anything he'll wait until someone in need wants something the Reds have. Then he'll be working from a position of power.

One game is not the season, this team will not cut off its nose to spite its face despite the numerous folks here clamoring to sharpen the knife for the task, no matter the cost.
    Early in the season, a roster squeeze will often put a Cody Ross type DFA/waiver guy out there.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

9. Likes:

Sea Ray (04-03-2013)

Per the AP's Joe Kay on Twitter, Derrick Robinson promoted, wearing #15.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Yes, he is.

From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

Michael Morse hit a pair of homers and drove in four runs in the Mariners' 7-1 win over the A's on Tuesday.

Morse put the M's on the board with a three-run homer off Jarrod Parker in the third and finished the scoring with a solo shot in the ninth. This fresh off a spring in which he set a Mariners record with nine homers, so he's on fire right now, no doubt. It'll be up to AL pitchers to adjust to him or maybe start pitching around him until he cools off.
    Maybe my favorite player not wearing a preferred team uni. Even with two shutouts in the books for Washington, he's missed bigtime.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

Have yet to see much mention of just how much Ludwick's back loaded contract will hurt the Reds.

Ludwick is owed $7.5 million for next year, and will get a $4.5 million buyout when the club declines his $9million option for 2015.

That is alot invested for a guy who likely be damaged goods at this point in his career. It also is enough and time contrained enough to prevent any realistic chance at trading him.

My concern, in short, is that in 2014 the Reds won't have Choo and will be forced to rely on Ludwick who very probably will never again be the same player. The Reds STILL will not have solved their massive hole at the 4 spot in the order, and won't have the funds to correct the issue...

Have we had the obligatory statement that the surgery was a success? I have seen the 14-16 week (or whatever) timeline but I have not heard of a post surgery statement of successful surgery,

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Have we had the obligatory statement that the surgery was a success? I have seen the 14-16 week (or whatever) timeline but I have not heard of a post surgery statement of successful surgery,
    I was wondering that, too. Very strange.

And I want to read that the tear was minor, and that Ludwick will be 100% when he does return.

The Rangers designated outfielder Julio Borbon for assignment Tuesday to make room on the roster for Nick Tepesch.

I wonder if he is an improvement over Robinson. His minor league numbers are better.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I'd say if he's still alive the surgery is a success.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPete Ibold View Post
    Have yet to see much mention of just how much Ludwick's back loaded contract will hurt the Reds.

Ludwick is owed $7.5 million for next year, and will get a $4.5 million buyout when the club declines his $9million option for 2015.

That is alot invested for a guy who likely be damaged goods at this point in his career. It also is enough and time contrained enough to prevent any realistic chance at trading him.

My concern, in short, is that in 2014 the Reds won't have Choo and will be forced to rely on Ludwick who very probably will never again be the same player. The Reds STILL will not have solved their massive hole at the 4 spot in the order, and won't have the funds to correct the issue...
    It's baffling they gave him the option year. I was OK with the 2-year, $15 million contract (which is how it was presented). But it was actually a 2-year, $19.5 million contract. Not a smart move by Walt there. No way Ludwick could have gotten more than that elsewhere. I thought paying him $7.5 million on average was pushing it, but was OK. But nearly $10 million a year for him? Bad investment. I know, easy to say that now, but I would have said the same thing if I had known about that 2015 option with the hefty buyout. That made it a bad deal for the Reds who had to be bidding against themselves at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    It's baffling they gave him the option year. I was OK with the 2-year, $15 million contract (which is how it was presented). But it was actually a 2-year, $19.5 million contract. Not a smart move by Walt there. No way Ludwick could have gotten more than that elsewhere. I thought paying him $7.5 million on average was pushing it, but was OK. But nearly $10 million a year for him? Bad investment. I know, easy to say that now, but I would have said the same thing if I had known about that 2015 option with the hefty buyout. That made it a bad deal for the Reds who had to be bidding against themselves at that point.
    Check your math. Signing Bonus $2 Million, 2013 Salary $1 Million, 2014 Salary $7.5 Million, Buy-out, paid after the 2014 season, $4.5 Million equals $15 Million. The Reds are making a $3 Million outlay in 2013 while in the last season of MLB's national TV money deal and $7.5 Million in 2014 when the TV money doubles form the new national TV deal. They deferred $4.5 Million of the 2013 money until after 2014 when the money should be there from the new national TV deal. It's 2 years, $15 Million with $3 million paid now under current revenue conditions and $12 Million paid next year when the Revenue streams significantly increase, (and Votto's cash outlay drops by $7 Million for 2013 to 2014, Arroyo is off the books, Masset's and Arredondo's dead money are gone and likely a young cheap Hamilton moves in).

The Reds simply deferred $4.5 Million of this season's half of the deal until after next year when the money should be there. Good budget management IMO which also provides the Reds the option of keeping Ludwick if he's doing well and other options are scarece for a relatively small incremental cost of $4.5 Million.

The Red's deferring $4.5 Million of Ludwick's 2013 cash and getting $3 Million from the Indians while dumping Drew Stubbs arb case allowed the team to add a top notch guy like Shin Soo Choo to the mix for a season. It's basically how they financed adding his salary to a 2013 budget that was maxed out. If your fine with 2 years $15 Million as your post states, you should be ecstatic at how adding the option year made it all fit.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?