Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deep breath time, Redszone.

Deep breath time, Redszone.

Look, I am just as frustrated with the current stretch as anybody. Factor in the fact that the Cardinals have hit the skids and the last five games become even more maddening.

However, two very important facts remain that not many people seem to have a grasp on right now:

1. This team has a lights out pitching staff.
    2. This team currently has a four game lead for the Wild Card spot.

This is the hardest portion of the schedule, no question. As has been pointed out lately, the schedule is going to soften up a bit within the next couple weeks.

I know it doesn't look good but I am still hoping the front office pulls off a move today that improves this offense. But even if they don't, it is not realistic to think that this offense is going to struggle to score two runs everytime out the next two months of the season. It's just not going to happen. This is a bad stretch, it will get better.

Bad stretch? Absolutely. A win today would go a long way for the collective minds of Redszone. A win today coupled with the off day tomorrow can really clear our heads and focus on getting back to work Friday.

It will be ok.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

2. Likes:

dubc47834 (07-31-2013),HeatherC1212 (07-31-2013),keeganbrick (07-31-2013),KittyDuran (07-31-2013),MillerTime58 (07-31-2013),Mitri (07-31-2013),pahster (08-10-2013),PuffyPig (07-31-2013),Raisor (07-31-2013),RedsManRick (07-31-2013),SirFelixCat (07-31-2013),Todd Gack (07-31-2013),westofyou (07-31-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Deep breath time, Redszone.

The voice of reason and sanity. I think a lot of us need that right now.

Scoring 5 runs in our last 5 games...while the Cards have lost 6 in a row...that's enough to cause a true fan's shoulders to slump a bit.

5. Likes:

BoxingRed (07-31-2013),SirFelixCat (07-31-2013)

7. Likes:

reds44 (07-31-2013)

Not to mentio a need to fix certain offense positions, but it seems to Reds Ownership and GM, NOT to make any moves to HELP the current team. Thats what frustrates me as a Reds fan!! I bet by the end of this day, the Pirates and Cardinals do something.. AS will the other teams in the wild card hunt. Walt will give his speech "we tried to do something but we couldnt" ... So when the team either doesnt make the post season, or plays a 1 game wild card game and looses 1-0 and have 15 strike outs from the pitching staff, I do not want to hear how happy they are on the finish. ever y team goes thru injuries, but the Winning teams always have a backup plan.. the Reds dont seem to and it shows playing short handed etc,...

I'm not worried because the Reds are almost always terrible on the West Coast. It's uncanny, really.

10. Likes:

BoxingRed (07-31-2013),Falls City Beer (07-31-2013)

Baseball is the ultimate test of patience with a 162 game schedule.As I've said before, the older I get the more patient I become with my sports teams. Thankfully, this includes the Reds.

12. Likes:

redsmetz (07-31-2013)

My Louisville Cardinals national championship has really taken the sting out of this somewhat disappointing season. It's like emotional oxycontin.

But even since before the season started I had a nagging sense of dread, mostly because I can't trust this organization when expectations are high. I just can't. They've never been able to create that bulwark of unfazeability (except for in the mid-70s)that certain other organizations do. This team has to jump up and surprise teams.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 07-31-2013 at 11:13 AM.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Our offense isn't going to magically get better. Ludwick must have no strength in that shoulder after being dormant for 3 months. No way he will be even close to the player we saw last year. He'll probably be more like the player the Pirates traded for 2 years ago. Pretending like Ludwick is going to solve our offensive woes is foolish, IMO. But it looks like that's the approach Walt and the front office are going to take.

Can't count on Marshall, can't count on Broxton, can't count on Cueto. I don't even care about Cueto at this point because Cingrani has been so good, but our bullpen is sure to blow its share of games for us down the stretch. We do not have the makings of a good bullpen down the stretch. Again, no trades will be made because Walt thinks getting our injured players back is as good as a trade. We'll see if we actually get them back and how effective they are.

We're looking at the second wildcard at best. That means playing a game on the road in a one-game crapshoot. Even if we win, we burn one of our best starters. I still think we'll be dangerous if we make the playoffs, but I'm beyond frustrated with this team. They've been a huge disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post

It will be ok.
    I'm not so sure it'll be OK, but if it's not we'll be well into football season by then and that's always a good thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    My Louisville Cardinals national championship has really taken the sting out of this somewhat disappointing season. It's like emotional oxycontin.

But even since before the season started I had a nagging sense of dread, mostly because I can't trust this organization when expectations are high. I just can't. They've never been able to create that bulwark of unfazeability that certain other organizations do. This team has to jump up and surprise teams.
    It's not over yet, we'll see if they are fazed by what's happening. I like Bruce and Votto's message on getting a championship. They certainly have a lot more people on the bandwagon, so it would do them well to deliver this year or your observation will continue to prove true. That said, every year there is only 1 or 2 teams that carry that bulwark of unfazability.

Worth The Wait

If my only goal was to make the post season (ala 2010) I'd be fine right now. But the WS was my goal this year and so far I have not seen any indication that this team is capable of making that type of run. And that bums me out a bit.

18. Likes:

remdog (08-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    But even since before the season started I had a nagging sense of dread, mostly because I can't trust this organization when expectations are high. I just can't. They've never been able to create that bulwark of unfazeability (except for in the mid-70s)that certain other organizations do. This team has to jump up and surprise teams.
    Couldn't agree more....I cringed every time I heard analysts say "this team has no weaknesses" in the preseason.

20. Likes:

Falls City Beer (07-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    Couldn't agree more....I cringed every time I heard analysts say "this team has no weaknesses" in the preseason.
    This ain't the mid-90s Braves or Yankees or the Cardinals of the last 13 years. They don't have the resources.

They're more like the Phillies of 06-09. Nice team, but not capable of sustaining indefinitely.

The hardest and most depressing part of the past 5 games is that in San Fran it looked like we were ready to have all phases of our team clicking at once, especially the offense. Then the last 5 games happened. The team remembered it was on the west coast I guess. The best way to look at it IMO is to say we should be 8 or 9 games back of the Cardinals right now. But they faltered too, so we've been given a mulligan. And we still have all the games against the Cardinals and Pirates to play, amongst the remaining 33% of the schedule. Time may be running out, but there still is time.

Hubby keeps saying there is something seriously wrong in the clubhouse for the team to be this lackadaisical towards offense. Thoughts on that idea?

There doesn't seem to be any fire or drive to this team lately, like they just don't really care....

24. Likes:

remdog (08-10-2013)

Turn Off Ads?