Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Ludwick to 15 day DL; surgery set for Wednesday

Re: Ludwick injury - dislocated shoulder

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Getting Choo "reps" did him absolutely no good.

He's still the worst Center Fielder in all of baseball who gets permanent at-bats at the position.

They should have ended that experiment the day it began and moved Choo over to LF the inning that Ludwick was injured.

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's playing horrible defenders at high-impact defensive positions (CF, SS, C, 2B). Rarely is Defense appreciated or understood by sabermetricians or Managers of baseball, but by sabermetricians the most.

But, using sabermetric analysis, here's some of their analysis:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...ter=&players=0

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...ter=&players=0
    I believe Choo has cost us as many runs in CF as Stubbs saved....pick THE best defensive CF in the game....and unless he's about .375 OB% with 15+ steals....he's not helped anymore than Choo.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ludwick to 15 day DL; surgery set for Wednesday

Ludwick went 0-4 with 2Ks. He is currently hitting .077. He's ready for this team. He will slide in seamlessly.

4. Likes:

Beltway (08-03-2013),Blitz Dorsey (08-03-2013),Jerry Narron (08-03-2013),joshua (08-03-2013),LoganBuck (08-03-2013),malcontent (08-03-2013),OnBaseMachine (08-03-2013),Red in Chicago (08-03-2013),Tom Servo (08-02-2013)

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

But it's like "trading for an .800 OPS bat in LF." At least, that's what we were led to believe.

Although, everyone who actually follows baseball (and understands baseball) knew Ludwick would be a shell of his former self after being on the shelf for 4 months; 3 of which he couldn't even lift or do anything.

He has no strength in the shoulder. Soooooo glad Walt thought that nothing needed to be addressed in LF down the stretch this season. What an absolute joke. As long as Walt has his tee times scheduled this week, his main priorities are taken care of. He's like a semi-retired GM. Every now and then he comes out of his shell to do something. Most of the time he's playing shuffleboard at the retirement home.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    But it's like "trading for an .800 OPS bat in LF." At least, that's what we were led to believe.

Although, everyone who actually follows baseball (and understands baseball) knew Ludwick would be a shell of his former self after being on the shelf for 4 months; 3 of which he couldn't even lift or do anything.

He has no strength in the shoulder. Soooooo glad Walt thought that nothing needed to be addressed in LF down the stretch this season. What an absolute joke. As long as Walt has his tee times scheduled this week, his main priorities are taken care of. He's like a semi-retired GM. Every now and then he comes out of his shell to do something. Most of the time he's playing shuffleboard at the retirement home.
    Ouch. Is his personal schedule really that lame?
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post

Wow I didn't know Walt only worked part time.Some how he's managed, in this limited role and with no one to back him up, to build a team that's contended 2 out of the past 3 years and is doing so again this year and will probably be in the mix for a playoff spot for a good number of years going forward. What an amazing GM.

As far as the current situation goes Walt built the team this past offseason with the every intention of putting a group of guys together capable of winning it all then things went wrong right off the bat.The club suffered injuries to its #1 SP, two of it's top BP arms and it's cleanup hitter and has struggled along only to own a 3.5 game lead in the WC standings. Sure things could be better and they could've done something this past week to improve the roster but what? I don't hear any GMs saying that they really tried to trade their all-star outfielder but there just wasn't any takers.I also don't recall any other teams beating Walt to the punch. What one player was traded for at the deadline that could've really improved the situation in Cincinnati if Walt hadn't been"playing shuffleboard at the retirement home" ?

Everyone here can play the blame game and people can complain all they want and even go as far as making things up about the team just to ease their frustration because the Reds lost a game.It's without a doubt you right to do so and really, this is the place to do it.Personally I plan on enjoying what's left of the season because my favorite team has a bunch of really big games left to play and with a little luck a few(hopefully more than a few)will be in October.
    Last edited by Captain Hook; 08-03-2013 at 02:25 AM.

8. Likes:

jimbo (08-03-2013),OneManBand (08-03-2013),PuffyPig (08-03-2013)

Just A Couple Johnny's OneManBand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Wow I didn't know Walt only worked part time.Some how he's managed, in this limited role and with no one to back him up, to build a team that's contended 2 out of the past 3 years and is doing so again this year and will probably be in the mix for a playoff spot for a good number of years going forward. What an amazing GM.

As far as the current situation goes Walt built the team this past offseason with the every intention of putting a group of guys together capable of winning it all then things went wrong right off the bat.The club suffered injuries to its #1 SP, two of it's top BP arms and it's cleanup hitter and has struggled along only to own a 3.5 game lead in the WC standings. Sure things could be better and they could've done something this past week to improve the roster but what? I don't hear any GMs saying that they really tried to trade their all-star outfielder but there just wasn't any takers.I also don't recall any other teams beating Walt to the punch. What one player was traded for at the deadline that could've really improved the situation in Cincinnati if Walt hadn't been"playing shuffleboard at the retirement home" ?

Everyone here can play the blame game and complain all they want and even go as far as making things up about the team just to ease their frustration because the Reds lost a game.It's without a doubt you right to do so and really, this is the place to it.Personally I plan on enjoying what's left of the season because my favorite team has a bunch of really big games left to play and with a little luck a few(hopefully more than a few)will be in October.
    Very well said.

Bud Norris was the jewel of the trade deadline.

Enough said.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

11. Likes:

Tom Servo (08-03-2013)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Re: Ludwick injury - dislocated shoulder

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    I believe Choo has cost us as many runs in CF as Stubbs saved....pick THE best defensive CF in the game....and unless he's about .375 OB% with 15+ steals....he's not helped anymore than Choo.
    Ditto. There's only one game all season IMO where Choo's defense was a major factor in the outcome, and that was a long time ago.

People talked about Stubbs like he was the combination of Willie Mays and Eric Davis out there. And he wasn't even a great defensive CF. He was an incredibly fast one whose feet made him shine gap-to-gap. He was extremely inconsistent at the deep ball hit right at him, like many mortals are. He got WAY to much credit for his D to justify his horrific plate approach.
    Last edited by BluegrassRedleg; 08-03-2013 at 02:55 AM.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

13. Likes:

mth123 (08-03-2013),remdog (08-03-2013)

Just A Couple Johnny's OneManBand's Avatar

Not to take anything from you Captain though because you did shed light on what people tend to forget that the team does have a "comfortable" lead in the Wild Card and have been pretty much doing this without key members of the team.

On the other end of that.. Since the deadline last year what has been done to improve the team?

*Jonathan Broxton was acquired & later resigned @ 7 million a year for 3 years & an option for 2016.
    *Acquired Shin Soo Choo in a three team deal
    *Resigned Ryan Ludwick @ 7.5 million a year for 2 years & an option for 2015.

2 of the 3 have been shelved and the other has exceeded expectations. The Choo deal is one that was needed and warranted. The other two just seem like a bunch of money wasted.. Knowing last year going through the entire season using 6 SPs that it wasn't going to repeat itself. Did nothing to provide depth at SP. Luckily we have Cingrani.. But what if he didn't pitch well? Who is the next option? This team shows no life against teams with winning records. I get the injuries. But this team has no support to call upon in the minors? When Ludwick comes back and hits .225 with warning track power what are we going to do.. Address the need before the non waiver deadline? 5 months to late..

This team needed to make some OF moves weeks ago. I know the market dictates a lot of things but there are enough of exbendable pieces on the farm to make a move. I'm a huge defender and overall fan of Walt but if Ludwick fails to produce down the stretch this is on him.

16. Likes:

DocRed (08-03-2013),Falls City Beer (08-03-2013),Kc61 (08-03-2013)

While I never expected them find Ludwick's replacement before the non waiver deadline, there is the possibility someone could fall to them via the waiver wire. There were just too many teams that felt like they still had a chance. Just look at the AL thus far. There are very few races that seem to be settled, which really seems to have narrowed the trade market.

We can assign blame, and gnash our teeth (understandably so) but the reality is that this is just rotten luck.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

18. Likes:

Big Klu (08-03-2013),Roy Tucker (08-03-2013),Tom Servo (08-03-2013)

While I agree that there's nothing to be had at the deadline, crossing your fingers and hoping for health is no way to contend. They've had nearly 4 months to replace Ludwick's bat, with a clear revelation over the last two months of how weak this offense is, and they've literally done nothing. I hold the front office accountable for what's likely, at best, a very early exit in the postseason, and conceivably a near miss of the postseason.

The market, the ascendancy of offense over pitching, are the new contours of the game, and I've yet to see the FO shift approach to meet the new demands. I'll give em a mulligan this season, but they'll need to dig deep this offseason and rethink their approach.

20. Likes:

joshua (08-03-2013),OnBaseMachine (08-03-2013)

This the one time Jocketty has failed with the Reds. They have known pretty shortly after Ludwicks injury that he was gong to be out until August and when he came he wouldn't be nearly the player he was. That's four months they could have acquired someone that could hit sufficiently in LF. I know much wasn't to be had at the deadline but I think there could have been someone that could have helped. That means giving up a good prospect in the minors. Stepenson,IMO is the only one untouchable. Anyone else should be considered a piece of a trade.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

22. Likes:

Kc61 (08-03-2013),OnBaseMachine (08-03-2013)

Exactly. You didn't have to wait until July 31 to realize that you had a black hole in left field.

24. Likes:

Kc61 (08-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    While I agree that there's nothing to be had at the deadline, crossing your fingers and hoping for health is no way to contend. They've had nearly 4 months to replace Ludwick's bat, with a clear revelation over the last two months of how weak this offense is, and they've literally done nothing. I hold the front office accountable for what's likely, at best, a very early exit in the postseason, and conceivably a near miss of the postseason.

The market, the ascendancy of offense over pitching, are the new contours of the game, and I've yet to see the FO shift approach to meet the new demands. I'll give em a mulligan this season, but they'll need to dig deep this offseason and rethink their approach.
    The currency in MLB has shifted. Trying to find a big bat in this economy in season is going to cost you like a TOR starter during the offensive explosion era. Look what it cost to get Choo, and he was cheaper due to the contract situation. Three team deal, top prospect arm, top prospect SS. Good luck with that. Its back up the truck to deal for an impact bat right now. And name an impact bat that has moved. Heck, an Alex Rios deal couldn't even get done, and he's on life support in Chicago.
    Last edited by traderumor; 08-03-2013 at 10:30 AM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

26. Likes:

Always Red (08-03-2013),Big Klu (08-03-2013),edabbs44 (08-03-2013),Roy Tucker (08-03-2013)

Turn Off Ads?