Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Ludwick to 15 day DL; surgery set for Wednesday

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Ludwick injury - dislocated shoulder

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Hopefully they got insurance on the contract.
    I read a while back that the insurance is prohibitively expensive on anything less than the monster Votto / Verlander deals that involve hundreds of millions of dollars.

It's why Madsen didn't have insurance on his deal last season.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    It's why you upgrade every opportunity you can -- because you never know when a freak injury like this will force a mediocre ballplayer into your lineup.

I suspect everyone's comfort levels would be a lot shakier if the Reds hadn't acquired Choo and the team was staring at an indefinite future of Heisey and Stubbs in the everyday-8.
    Without a doubt.

Like I said, I was really pumped about the Reds having a complete lineup without any real holes in it, but at least they're prepared for this now.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Yes, they just got him so he's not going anywhere and Ankiel isn't an upgrade from Heisey.
    Disagree. Have a lot more confidence in Ankiel for a 1-2 year timeframe than Heisey. But irrelevant since he's now signed with a team for whom he'll instantly become their star since they're lowest payroll in baseball.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

I wasn't expecting much from Ludwick this year. I didn't think he'd match last year's numbers so I think we'll be fine. It does put pressure on Hamilton to progress quickly

6. Likes:

remdog (04-02-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Opening Day 2014: Newly extended Johnny Cueto suffers a career ending injury when his right arm literally explodes on the first pitch of the game.

8. Likes:

JayBruceFan (04-02-2013),pahster (04-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 1940757690 View Post
    Disagree. Have a lot more confidence in Ankiel for a 1-2 year timeframe than Heisey. But irrelevant since he's now signed with a team for whom he'll instantly become their star since they're lowest payroll in baseball.
    Rick Ankiel sat around eating Pringles with everyone else last August and September after he was cut. Not exactly star material........
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Tearing it up, means he had a good spring training, now?
    Not in my view. Tons of examples on one having nothing to do with the other. Rafael Soriano was lights out yesterday in DC. Stunk up the place in Florida. Just one of many.

It's why you upgrade every opportunity you can -- because you never know when a freak injury like this will force a mediocre ballplayer into your lineup.

I suspect everyone's comfort levels would be a lot shakier if the Reds hadn't acquired Choo and the team was staring at an indefinite future of Heisey and Stubbs in the everyday-8.
    Yes, yes and yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    That's a no-brainer to me.
    You keep Choo in CF and let him get reps -- there will be options available to replace Heisey in LF mid-season, hopefully. The only reason to move Choo off CF is to make room for a permanent replacement in Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by 1940757690 View Post
    Why? Nothing backs this up.

OPS by year for Ankiel:
    2009 .672
    2010 .709
    2011 .659
    2012 .694

Heisey
    2010 .757
    2011 .797
    2012 .715
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

This should be a lesson to the Reds not to sign old doods to multi year contracts.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Someone brought up Soriano. I'm not a fan of the guy. But if the Cubs paid 90% of his remaining $36M salary ($18M - '13, '14), would you be interested or not?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Why? Nothing backs this up.

OPS by year for Ankiel:
    2009 .672
    2010 .709
    2011 .659
    2012 .694

Heisey
    2010 .757
    2011 .797
    2012 .715
    Heisey's numbers are bolstered a bit by virtue of the fact that he has a huge split PH v. Starting -- something on the order of .120 for his career.

The numbers are backed up by the eyes, as Heisey's play definitely seems to regress the more time he spends in the lineup.

Heisey's numbers are bolstered a bit by virtue of the fact that he has a huge split PH v. Starting -- something on the order of .120 for his career.

The numbers are backed up by the eyes, as Heisey's play definitely seems to regress the more time he spends in the lineup.
    I'm not arguing that, but Ankiel is bad.

Bob Nigtengale the baseball writer for USA Today sent out a tweet that the Reds are expected to call up Derrick Robinson

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Rick Ankiel sat around eating Pringles with everyone else last August and September after he was cut. Not exactly star material........
    Not a star. Also not expensive. Slugged .411 and banged out 5HR and 36 hits on 158 AB in 2012, mostly in fill-in and PH situations. Had a HR and 3RBI in the Astros' opener Sunday. He was good value for DC but not good enough given how deep the roster and farm system now is. Again though, doesn't so much matter now. The Reds aren't going to spend big or trade a star prospect (at least I hope they don't). All about getting decent value to plug as much of the gap as possible. Of course, would have been easier to do that in the off season and before everyone knew we were in need.

Turn Off Ads?