Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Ludwick to 15 day DL; surgery set for Wednesday

Re: Ludwick injury - dislocated shoulder

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Someone brought up Soriano. I'm not a fan of the guy. But if the Cubs paid 90% of his remaining $36M salary ($18M - '13, '14), would you be interested or not?
    Why would the Cubs do that right now? Really, why would anybody trade anything right now?

The Reds are either going to have to sign a free agent (Rolen) or ride with what they have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Someone brought up Soriano. I'm not a fan of the guy. But if the Cubs paid 90% of his remaining $36M salary ($18M - '13, '14), would you be interested or not?
    If they still had Stubbs, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    You keep Choo in CF and let him get reps -- there will be options available to replace Heisey in LF mid-season, hopefully. The only reason to move Choo off CF is to make room for a permanent replacement in Hamilton.
    True, if you believe Heisey needs replacing midseason, but I was under the impression that Hamilton would get the call-up at some point this season. I'm also different in that I believe Heisey will OPS in the 800's this season.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I'm not arguing that, but Ankiel is bad.
    That I can agree with.

Ankiel gets the "Brooks Kieschnick" perception bump since everyone remembers he was a pitcher at one point and subconsciously inflates their opinion of his hitting abilities based on the fact that it's a second career for him.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    Bob Nigtengale the baseball writer for USA Today sent out a tweet that the Reds are expected to call up Derrick Robinson
    Will they eventually trade him for Pappas?
    Where we gonna go?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    True, if you believe Heisey needs replacing midseason, but I was under the impression that Hamilton would get the call-up at some point this season. I'm also different in that I believe Heisey will OPS in the 800's this season.
    Heisey struggles whenever he's been called on to play every day. It's not impossible that he'll take the ball and run with it, but every indication in his history suggests he's a guy better suited to spot starting and PHing.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Face it.

The Reds will go with what they have. No trades will happen. And they have very little in the system to replace Ludwick. Power hitting outfielders, that are ready for the major leagues, aren't readily available in the farm system.

And Billy Hamilton IS NOT READY for mlb. You're dreaming and probably hurting his growth by wanting/calling him up to the major league club.

Might as well sit tight and hope for the best.

9. Likes:

Number_Fourteen (04-03-2013),remdog (04-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Heisey struggles whenever he's been called on to play every day. It's not impossible that he'll take the ball and run with it, but every indication in his history suggests he's a guy better suited to spot starting and PHing.
    He certainly hasn't answered the call when given the chance. I'm pretty sure he has several good seasons left in him with several better than any he has had. The Majors are full of ex-Reds who have had better seasons than any they had with the Reds. Young players usually don't reach their potentials under Baker unless they are a Superstar and are immune to Managerial influences.

By default, Heisey will get consistent at-bats (the key), and I'm hoping he produces. If he can get back-to-back-to-back 90+ per month plate appearances, I think Heisey will produce at an .800+ OPS.

Quote Originally Posted by 1940757690 View Post
    Uh, they didn't hit yesterday, continuing a trend from last year. Luddy is one of the more productive on the roster. Not at all concerned about anemic bats?
    This is my biggest concern. They had trouble in ST scoring runs and moving runners. Bruce had maybe his worst day as a major leaguer yesterday. Phillips looked kind of lost at the plate. We hit nothing hard at all, except Hanigan's line drive off the pitcher. Now with Ludwick gone, we will be bringing up someone who didn't even make the opening day roster. Our hitting IS going to be our biggest problem.

Simply put, there aren't any answers either internally or externally right now. Maybe in a month or two things will change.

Honestly, at this point the Reds are one injury of Bruce, Choo, Votto or Phillips away from being in very serious trouble.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    He certainly hasn't answered the call when given the chance. I'm pretty sure he has several good seasons left in him with several better than any he has had. The Majors are full of ex-Reds who have had better seasons than any they had with the Reds. Young players usually don't reach their potentials under Baker unless they are a Superstar and are immune to Managerial influences.
    Such as whom?

Off the top of my head, Frazier, Cozart, and Hannigan have all been quite productive despite Dusty's mythical youth killing abilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

15. Likes:

Tommyjohn25 (04-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Such as whom?

Off the top of my head, Frazier, Cozart, and Hannigan have all been quite productive despite Dusty's mythical youth killing abilities.

I really don't have a dog in this hunt, but Frazier, Cozart, and Hannigan were all "old" rookies.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I really don't have a dog in this hunt, but Frazier, Cozart, and Hannigan were all "old" rookies.
    Bruce, Votto, Stubbs, Cueto, Leake, Wood, Chapman, Heisey.

Almost the entire Reds team is made up of young guys who came up while Dusty was here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

18. Likes:

Boss-Hog (04-02-2013),redsmetz (04-02-2013),Tommyjohn25 (04-02-2013)

Re: Ludwick to 15 day DL

Dusty Baker has ruined yet another labrum!!!

Good luck with the recovery Mr. Ludwick, hope you are back out there in short order.

Turn Off Ads?