Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Ludwick to 15 day DL; surgery set for Wednesday

Re: Ludwick to 15 day DL; surgery set for Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by OneManBand View Post
    Right now he is at 15 AB (18 PA).. I'd say we are most likely about 2 weeks from seeing him return. Especially if he's feeling a bit of soreness in the shoulder.

Here is what I don't want to have happen. Him having a setback and he's lost for the season & have nothing done to address LF for the entire season. He's a bull; a competitor.. He proved a lot of people wrong last year by regaining some of the old form.
    August 11 is the last day he can remain on rehab assignment, as that will be the 20th day. So it's about 10 days out.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Anyone agree that we have way too many eggs in the "Ryan Ludwick will fix the offense basket"? I love the guy and I hope for the best, but there's so much risk of the injury nagging and or general unreadiness that he just might stink.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

4. Likes:

joshua (08-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Which shoulder is it?
    I know it's his non-throwing shoulder, so I assume the left one?
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I think Ludwick will be an excellent two-hole hitter and that alone would help the offense.
    Most Vottomatic Player

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Anyone agree that we have way too many eggs in the "Ryan Ludwick will fix the offense basket"? I love the guy and I hope for the best, but there's so much risk of the injury nagging and or general unreadiness that he just might stink.
    Not really all our eggs in the Ludwick basket.
    We have been getting great production out of Heisey (which will really help, if he continues after Ludwick comes back).

Still some upside in Meseraco and Fraiser. One of those guys could potentially go on a Billy Hatcher tear in the postsason.

That's what's it's going to come down to. Choo and Votto are very steady. I would also say that Bruce has been reliable. Phillips has cooled off a bit.. so we need either Phillips to get hot or one of the other RH bats to play well in the playoffs. Our pitching can match anyone's pitching.. We have a shot.

But point taken, Ludwick might not give us a whole lot of offense when he comes back.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    I don't think anybody (outside of maybe a Banana Phone caller or two) expects him to "fix" the offense, but it's hard not to see his return as a net positive. And if he stinks, he's not really any different than Paul/Heisey/whoever.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I think Ludwick will be an excellent two-hole hitter and that alone would help the offense.
    Except you know full well that Dusty's going to put him right into the four-hole. Still, having Brandon getting on base in front of Votto can't hurt either.
    Sabermetrics is this: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

Forget the rain. It's never an official game until the Reds piss away a run between third base and home plate. - Bluegrass Redleg

Re: Ludwick injury - dislocated shoulder

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    You keep Choo in CF and let him get reps -- there will be options available to replace Heisey in LF mid-season, hopefully. The only reason to move Choo off CF is to make room for a permanent replacement in Hamilton.
    Getting Choo "reps" did him absolutely no good.

He's still the worst Center Fielder in all of baseball who gets permanent at-bats at the position.

They should have ended that experiment the day it began and moved Choo over to LF the inning that Ludwick was injured.

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's playing horrible defenders at high-impact defensive positions (CF, SS, C, 2B). Rarely is Defense appreciated or understood by sabermetricians or Managers of baseball, but by sabermetricians the most.

But, using sabermetric analysis, here's some of their analysis:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...ter=&players=0

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...ter=&players=0

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I don't think anybody (outside of maybe a Banana Phone caller or two) expects him to "fix" the offense, but it's hard not to see his return as a net positive. And if he stinks, he's not really any different than Paul/Heisey/whoever.
    The thing is, when he went down the Reds could have dealt for a decent LF replacement* (or CF replacement and moved Choo to left). But instead we've had to deal with the Paul/Heisey/Robinson trio in LF, and if Ludwick doesn't improve upon that, then what was the point of waiting for his return in the first place?

IF Ludwick doesn't return to form, people will say "oh, hindsight is 20/20" when you mention that they should have dealt for a LF. But people like Jocketty are PAID to see what's coming and know if they have to deal or not.

*this assumes a lack of budgetary constraints
    Sabermetrics is this: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

Forget the rain. It's never an official game until the Reds piss away a run between third base and home plate. - Bluegrass Redleg

13. Likes:

joshua (08-03-2013)

Robinson should have been playing in CF anytime he played.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    The thing is, when he went down the Reds could have dealt for a decent LF replacement* (or CF replacement and moved Choo to left). But instead we've had to deal with the Paul/Heisey/Robinson trio in LF, and if Ludwick doesn't improve upon that, then what was the point of waiting for his return in the first place?

IF Ludwick doesn't return to form, people will say "oh, hindsight is 20/20" when you mention that they should have dealt for a LF. But people like Jocketty are PAID to see what's coming and know if they have to deal or not.

*this assumes a lack of budgetary constraints
    I'm not sure whether there were necessarily good OF available for trades that were necessarily better than Chris Heisey, Ludwick's ostensible replacement.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Just checked twitter and noticed that Luddy is not in the lineup. Did I miss something? Does this still count as a game against his 20 game max?
    2013 Attendance: 6-0
    4/3/13, 4/16/13, 4/17/13, 8/3/13, 8/21/13, 9/7/13

^ I believe it's 20 days, not games.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    No, it's his right shoulder. Ryan is a right-handed hitter, but a left-handed thrower.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?