Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Ludwick to 15 day DL; surgery set for Wednesday

Re: Ludwick injury - dislocated shoulder

I think it's silly if heisey bats 2nd but just imo

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I'm worried about how this affects him going forward. Maybe he'll rehab it and bounce right back, but you never know how an injury like that can wear on an already aging player like Ludwick. On a separate note, there's gotta be some Hamilton talk stirring up tomorrow.
    Nah, they'll run Heisey out until he strains a muscle from excessive flailing at the plate. I don't think any of this impacts the timetable with Hamilton.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Rolen (back when he was with the Cardinals) originally screwed up his shoulder by colliding with the Cubs Hee Sop Choi, and was never the same again. His shoulder and eventually his back were toast.

Medical science still has a lot of trouble with shoulders and backs. If it's as bad as Rolen's shoulder it could essentially end his career.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    Rolen (back when he was with the Cardinals) originally screwed up his shoulder by colliding with the Cubs Hee Sop Choi, and was never the same again. His shoulder and eventually his back were toast.

Medical science still has a lot of trouble with shoulders and backs. If it's as bad as Rolen's shoulder it could essentially end his career.
    Rolen played what, 6 years after he left the Cardinals? He certainly wasn't the same guy, but it didn't come close to ending his career.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Rolen played what, 6 years after he left the Cardinals? He certainly wasn't the same guy, but it didn't come close to ending his career.
    Aging Rolen does not console me much.

I don't mean he'll never play again, I mean he could potentially never be the same guy again.

But, none of us know how severe the injury even is. Maybe he'll be fine in 4 weeks. I'm just saying when you hear about a player having an issue with either a shoulder or back watch out. It's not like a knee or a muscle pull. Once you have a bad shoulder or back, usually you have it for life.

I remember Rolen saying at points over the last few years his shoulder would throbe so much he couldn't lift his arm over his head. There isn't any surgery or cure for this. Same with a bad back. That's why you should always lift with your legs. You really don't want a messed up back or shoulder. It's bad news bears.
    Last edited by NeilHamburger; 04-01-2013 at 10:36 PM.

But hey, other than this and the loss it was a great opening day.

I don't get why people are so opposed to bringing in Rolen. He's better than Hanrahan. He's better than Izturis. He's better than Donald which some people seemed to be upset we let go. He's better than Burriss. The idea there shouldn't be a capable third baseman to go along with Frazier doesn't make sense to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

jredmo2

I think I prefer X-man getting the chance over Heisey.

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    I think it's silly if heisey bats 2nd but just imo
    I agree, but I also think Phillips is a poor choice to hit second.

After the game today, Dusty said Phillips hits into a lot of double plays. That was the explanation for the Phillips bunt play today.

If he hits into double plays, and you need to bunt with him, why hit Phillips second?

You take the bat out of his hands; you waste Votto to an IBB.

Problem is that Reds don't have an obvious second place hitter.

The XMan suggestion isn't bad actually. Platoon him with Heisey and let XMan hit secnod against righties. That's three lefties in a row, but it's ok because Reds would pinch hit for XMan against lefty pitchers.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-01-2013 at 11:50 PM.

Now playing left field for the Cincinnati Reds....Devin Mesoraco!

Of course I'm not serious; as far as I know Mes has never played outfield in his life. It would be nice if this were a possibility, but I know better.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Chris Heisey -- it's like Drew Stubbs never left.
    OPS

Heisey (.797)
    Stubbs (.686)

Heisey (.715)
    Stubbs (.610)

Just like it... except those 110 points difference.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

They call me "chef"

Heisey, Frazier, Hanigan, Cozart, Votto, Izturis, Paul, Bruce & Phillips = the new Drew Stubbs?

15. Likes:

bigredmechanism (04-02-2013)

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

What a pisser of an Opening Day. Lose in 13 innings and lose our left fielder/cleanup hitter for the foreseeable future.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    What a pisser of an Opening Day. Lose in 13 innings and lose our left fielder/cleanup hitter for the foreseeable future.
    Tough game, but we'll be fine.

On the bright side, our leadoff hitter looked legit. I don't know the last time that this would have been a true statement.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

18. Likes:

pahster (04-02-2013),redsmetz (04-02-2013)

Turn Off Ads?