Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ludwick out - The batting order going forward?

Re: Ludwick out - The batting order going forward?

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    According to Jamie Ramsey, BP is batting cleanup. Heisey is in left, batting second. Not sure why he and Choo aren't switching defensive spots.
    It isn't that simple. Choo just spent all spring getting comfortable in center. He moved there after spending several years in right field. Now you want to move him to left? And when Ludwick comes back? Just slide him over to center again? That's a terrible plan. Let's let him settle in somewhere and concentrate on getting on base at the top of the lineup.

2. Likes:

Big Klu (04-03-2013),Boss-Hog (04-03-2013),RedsfaninMT (04-03-2013),westofyou (04-03-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I would rather the Reds spend 3+ months playing their best defensive alignment with the players they have. Who knows when/if Ludwick will be back this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

5. Likes:

WildcatFan (04-03-2013)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    It isn't that simple. Choo just spent all spring getting comfortable in center. He moved there after spending several years in right field. Now you want to move him to left? And when Ludwick comes back? Just slide him over to center again? That's a terrible plan. Let's let him settle in somewhere and concentrate on getting on base at the top of the lineup.
    He'd played much more in left in his career than center, and it took him only six weeks to get "comfortable" there. The move from a corner spot to center field, in theory, has much more of an adjustment factor than from right to left or vice versa. You can't pretend he'd be spinning circles in left just because he's been practicing in center for six weeks.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    He'd played much more in left in his career than center, and it took him only six weeks to get "comfortable" there. The move from a corner spot to center field, in theory, has much more of an adjustment factor than from right to left or vice versa. You can't pretend he'd be spinning circles in left just because he's been practicing in center for six weeks.
    I would rather have Hiesey in LF instead of making a bunch of moves. I don't think it matters 1 way or the other of who plays CF, Hiesey or Choo, but if the idea is Choo is the CF, then let him play there. Just my 2 cents worth....

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I would rather the Reds spend 3+ months playing their best defensive alignment with the players they have. Who knows when/if Ludwick will be back this year.
    I'm hopeful that, even if Ludwick doesn't come back this year, that the Reds will eventually find a better answer for LF than Chris Heisey.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

First installment is out vs. lefty CJ Wilson:

1 Choo
    2 Heisey
    3 Votto
    4 Phillips
    5 Bruce
    6 Frazier
    7 Cozart
    8 Hannigan

I can live with it.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    First installment is out vs. lefty CJ Wilson:

1 Choo
    2 Heisey
    3 Votto
    4 Phillips
    5 Bruce
    6 Frazier
    7 Cozart
    8 Hannigan

I can live with it.
    I too can live with it. It isn't what I would have done, but I can accept it without complaint.

11. Likes:

puca (04-03-2013),Raisor (04-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I too can live with it. It isn't what I would have done, but I can accept it without complaint.
    Yep. You learn that skill early if you want to stay sane with Dusty as your manager.

PS I actually have hopes that Heisey may actually develop into a good fit for the 2 spot. But then again, I'm an incurable optimist.
    Last edited by smixsell; 04-03-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Heisey has a career .276/.325/.414 slash line with a .747 OPS in the two hole, his second best performance in the order behind the 6 spot. I could probably live that performance until Ludwick (or somebody else?) steps in.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

ESPN reporting that Ludwick could be out 13 to 14 weeks. Hopefully he's back right around the All Star Break.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maniem View Post
    ESPN reporting that Ludwick could be out 13 to 14 weeks. Hopefully he's back right around the All Star Break.
    That is what the Reds have said.

Will Carroll says 4-6 months is the typical timeline for this kind of injury.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'm hopeful that, even if Ludwick doesn't come back this year, that the Reds will eventually find a better answer for LF than Chris Heisey.
    Agreed. I'd actually like to see Walt obtain a LH bat like Colvin, partially as insurance should Choo bolt.

I just don't see them getting one from outside the organization. I think the most likely outcome is eventually Hamilton comes up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

That has made this whole thread worth reading. If Heisey was the answer, or even had possibilities, then they'd have never signed Ludwick to begin with.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I still believe the best option is Bruce hitting in front of Votto. That gives him a higher chance to succeed rather than hitting in front of Frazier.

Choo
    Heisey/Cozart
    Bruce
    Votto
    Phillips
    Frazier
    Hanigan
    Heisey/Cozart

Turn Off Ads?