Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Amir Garrett not going back to SJU hoops

Amir Garrett not going back to SJU hoops

According to the Twitter...

Louisville Bats ‏@LouisvilleBats 1m
    Also basketball relevant, #Reds pitching prospect @Amir_Garrett, a sophomore for St. John's basketball, is leaving the team.
    Jamie Ramsey ‏@Jamieblog 23m
    #Reds prospect and college cager @Amir_Garrett is leaving St. John's. Reds official told me this Spring that the LHP has electric stuff.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Amir Garrett not going back to SJU hoops

“As of now I'm playing baseball, but I plan on being at another program in the fall.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/co...#ixzz2PPCm4tJL
    Bummer.

I was hoping to see him devote all energy to baseball.

Ah well, perhaps Western Kentucky could find a spot for him?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Bummer.

I'm hoping for Arizona State...

Or Rio Salado College Avondale, which is almost next door to Reds facility in Goodyear.

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    I'm hoping for Arizona State...

Or Rio Salado College Avondale, which is almost next door to Reds facility in Goodyear.
    We're thinking along the same lines. I just sent an email to Dave Bezold at NKU.

Like I said in another thread, I saw him at MSG in January, and he looked awful. If he has a future making money as an athlete, it's in baseball. The quicker he realizes that, the better I would guess.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

He's a future Gangstateer at Norwood University.

9. Likes:

mdccclxix (04-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Bummer.

I believe he also said that he wasn't going to sign if drafted, so I will wait and see on what his plans are. Either way, it is a step in the right direction for Cincy.

Simply knowing that he plans to pursue baseball as his career seems like a great step. If I recall, he was holding out hope for a hoops career. The scouting reports I've seen on him rave about him; could end up being a steal.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Simply knowing that he plans to pursue baseball as his career seems like a great step. If I recall, he was holding out hope for a hoops career. The scouting reports I've seen on him rave about him; could end up being a steal.
    I don't know that I want to say it would be a steal, given that they paid him $1M to sign. Certainly that could wind up being a bargain, but that is first round money.

Could be in a rotation with Travieso and Constante, maybe Pedro Diaz, too. Possibly an outstanding group.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I bet at some point this summer he decides to dedicate himself 100 percent to baseball. I wouldn't rule out the chance of him enrolling at a new college and continuing his education and his basketball career, but I would bet against it. Especially now that he's around other guys who do nothing but play baseball for a living, I bet he will give up college (and college hoops).

Turn Off Ads?