Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fathers and Sons and Baseball

Re: Fathers and Sons and Baseball

I'm one of those terrible people who do not enjoy screaming children at the ballpark. My girls were 9 and 7 before I took them to the park. They had absolutely no interest in watching the games on television or following the team. When my oldest was 12 she made a big show of wanting to go to the park and then by the second inning she looked me square in the eye and said "Ok, we can leave now."

They are 18 and 20 now and LOVE to go to the park. It may take a couple of good reds teams before they'll follow the club on a daily basis, but despite all earlier indications, they are primed to be fans if the local 9 can give them something to root for.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

My wife and daughters are all avid Reds fans.

I grew up with baseball, pretty much 24/7 when I was young. I lived and died with the Reds on radio, fell asleep nearly every summer night with the transistor radio under my pillow (8:05p starts back then). We played baseball all day long in the summer, and Sundays, when the paper would come, I'd sit and memorize all the stats, because back then you only got the stats on Sundays.

Me and my dad went to a lot of games together when I was young, they are great memories for me. Unfortunately, as I got older, the distance between me and my dad grew further, and we went about 5 years without discussing much of anything. Suffice it to say a lot of fathers and sons go through this period, when sons know everything, and fathers want to tell them everything they do not know. It was 2 hardheads at loggerheads.

But we still had baseball. A lot of times we would just sit in the same room together, not speaking, but listening to Marty and Joe on the radio. Those times were moments of truce for us, and I know now that my dad enjoyed just being able to sit there with me, not fighting.

I grew older and matured, eventually married and had children, and my dad's hard edges mellowed as well. Except when it came to Eric Davis.

RIP, dad. And I'm sure Eric Davis forgives you. (Dad and his old school hardnosed buddies didn't think ED was tough enough, and wouldn't play hurt, and they took to calling him "Erica")
    Last edited by Always Red; 04-04-2013 at 01:09 PM.

4. Likes:

bounty37h (04-04-2013), RadfordVA (04-04-2013)

Why did Field of Dreams play through my head reading that?
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

I titled this thread Fathers and Sons and Baseball, but it is really about family. Dad coached me growing up, he took me to my first Reds game, I watched the 2001 WS with him while America was healing, I have been in fantasy leagues with him most of my adult life (I have only finished in front of him twice). On the other hand, Mom took me to my first Opening Day, we went to several Mother's Day games, the last game at Rivefront/Cinergy and the first game at GABP together.

I can only hope my little ones grow into baseball fans so we can share some of these same type moments.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

7. Likes:

redsmetz (04-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    I am so jealous. I am either a bad baseball fan or father, because none of my five children share my passion for the Reds/baseball... or any sport for that matter.

Don't sell yourself short. It's quite possible you could be bad at both.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

9. Likes:

Raisor (04-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by WDE View Post
    My dad is a Braves fan, .
    I'm sorry for your loss.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Turn Off Ads?