Turn Off Ads?
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233 LastLast

Thread: 4/3/13 Opening Night: Reds vs. Angels

Re: 4/3/13 Opening Night: Reds vs. Angels

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I wouldn't know where to find win expectancy numbers. I am sure runners on 1st and 2nd lead to more runs scored than just a runner on 2nd, but taking into account one run beats you, the guy was already on 2nd, and who was coming up, I can't see how any sort of system that takes that into account concludes that was the right play.

I could be wrong, but I just literally don't see how there is a defense for that.

His choice was Votto and Phillips or Phillips and Bruce where a ground ball from Phillips gets you out of the inning.

I just don't see how any statistical measure or common sense measure for that matter concludes that was a good play.

Now if the Reds lineup was set up Votto-Bruce-Phillips and you were trying to go L/L and get Votto and Bruce out, I could see an argument for pitching to Votto. Would still disagree with it and say bring in a right to face Phillips, but I could at least see the argument.
    I don't know much on Downs. How is he on lefties? That could make a difference. Then you walk BP to get to Bruce. I don't know.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I don't know much on Downs. How is he on lefties? That could make a difference. Then you walk BP to get to Bruce. I don't know.
    Yeah edabbs post opened my eyes to that. That had to have been what he was thinking. Like I said, still think he was wrong, but I can see where he was coming from at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    It was him or Jesus.
    Jesus blowing bubbles? Now that's going to be hard to get that image out of my mind.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

If Scioscia was sticking with the lefty, maybe he preferred pitching to Votto over BP. Votto has not exactly been raking.

I'm with Reds44 original thinking here. Votto kills lefties. His run make no difference, you have to go for the double play there.

It was a massive bone headed decision.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

If Scoscia made a defensible decision to let Downs pitch to Votto... Does That mean Dusty was right to use a historically weaker hitter to move the runner into scoring position prior to Votto's at bat?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I'm with Reds44 original thinking here. Votto kills lefties. His run make no difference, you have to go for the double play there.

It was a massive bone headed decision.
    BP kills lefties also.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Jesus blowing bubbles? Now that's going to be hard to get that image out of my mind.
    Especially if bubbles is capitalized.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Especially if bubbles is capitalized.
    That's not riiiiiight.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    BP kills lefties also.
    I'd assume they would use a rhp against him, but after the way Mikey handled Votto maybe not.

And I guess you just don't defend Dusty bone headedness, its all managers?
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Many on RZ will not go hungry tonight
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I'd assume they would use a rhp against him, but after the way Mikey handled Votto maybe not.

Assuming Votto had gotten out you walk BP.

It's actually all people. In all walks of life. I don't discriminate against non-managerial boneheaded decisions. Just wouldn't be fair.

And unless I missed something, Votto didn't exactly make that decision look awful.

Nice job by Votto by jumping on the first pitch. Many would be tempted to take a pitch to possibly get a read on how the pitcher would handle the AB. Not Votto, he was ready to go.

Turn Off Ads?