Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233 LastLast

Thread: 4/3/13 Opening Night: Reds vs. Angels

Re: 4/3/13 Opening Night: Reds vs. Angels

The right decision is to walk Votto, bring in a righty to face BP and set up the DP. Choo at 2nd is the only run that matters.

Either way I'll take it. It's not like Votto's hit was crushed for a double.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't know which is more awesome. That the Reds won, or that there will be another 15 page on a Dusty decision tomorrow
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

4. Likes:

KC2135 (04-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    The right decision is to walk Votto, bring in a righty to face BP and set up the DP. Choo at 2nd is the only run that matters.

Either way I'll take it. It's not like Votto's hit was crushed for a double.
    A couple people saying this. But outs matter too. And if you like the matchup, you pitch to Votto. I'd have walked Votto, but I understand why Scoscia did it.

6. Likes:

VR (04-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    A couple people saying this. But outs matter too. And if you like the matchup, you pitch to Votto. I'd have walked Votto, but I understand why Scoscia did it.
    I get it too, but in that situation you walk the guy, and set up a force or a double play. Votto hits lefties pretty well.

I wouldn't ever pitch to him with one out and a guy on 2nd, especially the game winning run in the 9th. I'd walk him every time.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Nice job by Votto by jumping on the first pitch. Many would be tempted to take a pitch to possibly get a read on how the pitcher would handle the AB. Not Votto, he was ready to go.
    I think you are spot on. If he let's it go....good chance it may have been a ball as the catchers mitt ended up near the ground anticipating catching it low and outside.

Amazing Votto stung that pitch that hard.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by Tadasimha View Post
    Dusty doesn't bunt Heisey, Choo isn't on 2nd for anyone, Votto or BP, to drive in.
    This!

There are some real Einsteins in this board tonight.
    Reminds me that Fan is short for fanatical.
    I think both managers made the right moves - and dusty twice in two nights - and the averages played out.
    Only difference between last night and tonight for the Reds - this time it worked. That's why statistics, and things like batting average, ba w risp, and such even out over time.

Seriously.
    Wow.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Couldn't be online during the game tonight and can't catch up on all the posts now but had to say this:

See? Having Heisey bunt with Votto following is EXACTLY what you want to do. Dusty's a freakin' genius! Just like you were all arguing during the opener, right? Kidding.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

Dusty sac bunting with Hi-C is not as bad as sac bunting with BP.

Its still bad.

Mikey not walking Votto is worse.

I'm in the camp that believes bunting the #2 hitter is going to make Votto less effective. For the record, I love the sac bunt, especially when it gets the winning run into scoring position. I just can't believe they pitched to Votto, especially when he hits Lefties so well. I don't think they'll make that same decision again.

I understood but didn't like the bunt yesterday, I definitely agreed with today's considering it was BP behind Votto. Both situations are playing for 1, yesterday was assuming our bullpen would shut em down, today 1 was a walkoff. It sucks taking the bat out of Votto's hand, but with our pitching a lotta times playing for one in those situations is gonna win it for us.

That said, I cannot believe they pitched to Votto when 1st base was open and his run wouldn't matter. Lefty vs righty or whatever, you gotta make Phillips or Bruce beat you.

Oh and a tough break for Brox tonight, he pitched well and didn't get any help.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    But then you have the RH pitcher going after Bruce.

Scoscia liked the Downs matchup vs. Votto instead of Phillips. He was always going to face Bruce.

But you certainly don't walk Votto, and then bring in the RH pitcher to face Philips, unless you were prepared to bring in another LH pitcher to face Bruce.

You can't manage one batter at a time. You need to look at the whole inning.

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I'm with ya.

Today's young fans wouldn't know that Bob Gibson or Sandy Koufax were great pitchers by watching them. They'd have to go look at the Sabermetric stats to figure it out. Not kidding.

Alot to be learned by watching. The eye test is important.
    That's insane. I never saw those guys. I'm too young. But I know they were great. Why? The numbers! You can dislike sabermetrics and stats all you like but your condescending posts towards the statheads are getting a little old, sir.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Interesting write-up in the LA Times on the decisions made by the Angels to face Votto. Essentially they got the result they had the were seeking and with everything going wrong. Sometimes, you just get lucky. We'll lose a few of those this season too. I'll take Win #1 (as everyone will, of course).

Edit: Here's the link, sorry: http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseba...,4666683.story
    Last edited by redsmetz; 04-04-2013 at 06:42 AM.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    But then you have the RH pitcher going after Bruce.

Scoscia liked the Downs matchup vs. Votto instead of Phillips. He was always going to face Bruce.

But you certainly don't walk Votto, and then bring in the RH pitcher to face Philips, unless you were prepared to bring in another LH pitcher to face Bruce.

You can't manage one batter at a time. You need to look at the whole inning.
    Worrying about Bruce is fine. Worrying about Bruce at the expence of worrying about Votto cost them the game.

Votto kills LHP. If his OPS against LHP was his total OPS he would still be an all star.

I'm not a fan of sacrifice bunting unless it's A) the pitcher or B) late in the game needing one run. That being said about B, I would never sacrifice the #2 hitter in front of Votto. Votto somehow wasn't intentionally walked last night, but he will pretty much every time the rest of the year. You just can't take the bat out of his hands when the game is on the line. IMO, Dusty got really lucky last night.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Turn Off Ads?