Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Derrick Robinson called up

Derrick Robinson called up

ctrent ‏@ctrent 48s
    https://twitter.com/ctrent
    As expected, Derrick Robinson has been called up to take Ryan Ludwick's spot on the roster. He'll wear No. 15
    http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/
    Robinson gets the call
    As expected, the Reds placed Ryan Ludwick on the 15-day disabled list after Wednesday morning surgery to repair the torn labrum in his left shoulder.

The contract of OF Derrick Robinson was purchased from Triple-A Louisville to replace Ludwick on the roster.

Robinson batted .300 in 22 spring games after being signed in the off-season as a Minor League free agent. He batted .258 in 116 games last season for the Royals’ Triple-A affiliate in Omaha. A switch hitter, he has never played in the big leagues.
    Welcome to the Show!

Here are his career stats- all minors
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=robins001der
    Was a AAA gold glover last year if i am remembering correctly

Last edited by klw; 04-03-2013 at 03:54 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Re: Derrick Robinson called up

This is Darnell McDonald all over again. I hope D-Rob can hit like he did in the spring.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

4. Likes:

remdog (04-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    This is Darnell McDonald all over again. I hope D-Rob can hit like he did in the spring.
    McDonald actually had a decent year in about 2/3 of a season for the Red Sox after he left here, where he OPSed around ~770. I would be stoked if Robinson could do the same thing.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

With Ludwick out at least a few months, any chance they move Choo to LF? Or will they stick with what they've been practicing and just use a Heisey/Paul platoon in LF?

I ask because if Choo sticks in CF, it may mean more opportunities for Robinson as a late game defensive sub. Robinson is clearly a speed/defense, 5th OF guy who isn't going to get a ton of PA. Calling him Darnell McDonald is a bit generous -- he has a .645 minor league career OPS with basically zero power. McDonald at least had some pop.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 04-03-2013 at 04:22 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

7. Likes:

remdog (04-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    With Ludwick out at least a few months, any chance they move Choo to LF? Robinson is clearly a speed/defense, 5th OF guy who isn't going to get a ton of PA. Or will they stick with what they've been practicing and just use a Heisey/Paul platoon in LF? I ask because if Choo sticks in CF, it may mean more opportunities for Robinson as a late game defensive sub.
    I hope Choo stays in CF unless they have a plan to move him to LF for good. Otherwise he's never going to get settled out there.
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

113 AAA hits last year. 17 for extra bases. This guy is slap and run eh? Phipps would have been my choice.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I hope Choo stays in CF unless they have a plan to move him to LF for good. Otherwise he's never going to get settled out there.
    Well, if Ludwick is out for the year and Hamilton is the long term solution in CF, there's no need for him to get settled.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

With Ludwick out at least a few months, any chance they move Choo to LF? Or will they stick with what they've been practicing and just use a Heisey/Paul platoon in LF?

I ask because if Choo sticks in CF, it may mean more opportunities for Robinson as a late game defensive sub. Robinson is clearly a speed/defense, 5th OF guy who isn't going to get a ton of PA. Calling him Darnell McDonald is a bit generous -- he has a .645 minor league career OPS with basically zero power. McDonald at least had some pop.
    I think it depends on how long Ludwick is out. If he is done for year than I expect the Reds to move Choo to LF. If they believe that Ludwick will be back around all-star break or even August then I expect them to keep Choo in CF so that he has experience there for stretch run.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    I think it depends on how long Ludwick is out. If he is done for year than I expect the Reds to move Choo to LF. If they believe that Ludwick will be back around all-star break or even August then I expect them to keep Choo in CF so that he has experience there for stretch run.
    Even if Ludwick is done for the year, there should be (and likely will be) a huge push from Walt to upgrade LF at the deadline.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Well, if Ludwick is out for the year and Hamilton is the long term solution in CF, there's no need for him to get settled.
    That's true, but there are considerations to be made. Will Hamilton be ready this year? Wouldn't it be easier to find a LF to replace Ludwick than it would be to move Choo and find a new CF? etc. etc.

Robinson will be wearing #15. Let's hope he can hit like George Foster.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I think Jocketty has already stated that he's staying in CF.

Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    Robinson will be wearing #15. Let's hope he can hit like George Foster.
    Soooo, no pressure?
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

17. Likes:

camisadelgolf (04-03-2013)

Tempting to move Heisey to CF, but Walt said no and it makes sense.

Choo hasn't played much LF lately; he spent the spring getting ready in CF; there is now ample backup in CF with Derrick Robinson or occasionally Heisey.

LF is easier to fill than CF. So, as someone said, if Ludwick's prognosis looks very long, Reds can try and fill LF in a trade.

I've been very negative about Phililps hitting second, so I'm hopeful Heisey gets hot, does well, and the Reds' lineup takes off with tonight's alignment. When Ludwick comes back, or a trade is made, we can worry about a new batting order then.

To be clear, I'm a big fan of Phillips, just think his DP tendencies are a big problem hitting second on this particular team with Choo leading off.

I think staying within the plan of Choo in CF is a good idea. No need to rock the boat anymore right now. If Ludwick comes back, everyone is still in their roles.

Turn Off Ads?