Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brittney Griner might play in the NBA?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I have yet to hear of a female kicker who has anywhere near the leg strength to make it in the NFL, and I doubt any team would want a female kicker/punter on the field on a kick return. The women who've done it in college have mainly handled extra points and field goals from short yardage, with the male punter handling punts and kickoffs.
    Maybe not *yet* necessarily, but I don't think it's so unlikely to be completely out of the question.

Perhaps there just haven't been enough women athletes drawn to the glamorous life of an NFL kicker to weed out one who would have the talent or physical tools to do it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brittney Griner might play in the NBA?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I'm not too well studied on the actual biomechanics of pitching so forgive this question perhaps

But doesn't pitching ability have as much to do with flexibility as it does strength? Is there any particular reason an athletic woman couldn't generate the kind of velocity on pitches needed to be a MLB quality pitcher? (Not even just a LOOGY necessarily, either.)
    Stamina may be an issue. Another way a woman might make it is if she develops a wicked knuckleball, which doesn't need to be thrown hard to be effective.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Maybe not *yet* necessarily, but I don't think it's so unlikely to be completely out of the question.

Perhaps there just haven't been enough women athletes drawn to the glamorous life of an NFL kicker to weed out one who would have the talent or physical tools to do it.
    I just can't imagine any NFL coach wanting to be the guy who sees his female kicker get creamed on a kick return.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Stamina may be an issue. Another way a woman might make it is if she develops a wicked knuckleball, which doesn't need to be thrown hard to be effective.
    That could be something. Perhaps a woman might be able to make it as a more traditional pitcher as a short reliever also.

I just can't imagine any NFL coach wanting to be the guy who sees his female kicker get creamed on a kick return.
    Could be an issue, I also imagine the NFL is going to try to reduce the violence of kickoffs and punts as well though.

Could be an issue, I also imagine the NFL is going to try to reduce the violence of kickoffs and punts as well though.
    There's only so much you can do though. Kickers and punters are usually the last one to beat on a return and are usually going up against the returner with a full head of steam. The only way you can really protect the kicker is to forbid them from making the tackle or allow them to do a two-hand touch. I don't see either being a viable alternative.

There's only so much you can do though. Kickers and punters are usually the last one to beat on a return and are usually going up against the returner with a full head of steam. The only way you can really protect the kicker is to forbid them from making the tackle or allow them to do a two-hand touch. I don't see either being a viable alternative.
    While that's true, if a punter/kicker was good enough, I think you could probably tell them to get out of the way and not go for the hit and be worth it, based on how infrequently they actually make the stop anyway.

While that's true, if a punter/kicker was good enough, I think you could probably tell them to get out of the way and not go for the hit and be worth it, based on how infrequently they actually make the stop anyway.
    But then you're playing 10 on 11. I think just about every coach wants the kicker to at least slow down the runner enough to give teammates a chance to catch them from behind. If the kicker gets hurt, there's usually one or two free agents out there that can be brought in as a replacement.

Many women play soccer. And female soccer players definitely have strong legs, but not even close to the men.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Many women play soccer. And female soccer players definitely have strong legs, but not even close to the men.
    That's the point. You can be a dominant soccer player, or you could be an NFL kicker.

Which would you rather be?

That's the point. You can be a dominant soccer player, or you could be an NFL kicker.

Which would you rather be?
    I think that's the real reason you're unlikely to see it. In previous generations it was more feasible that a woman would not have the opportunity to play with other women growing up abd while still incredibly unlikely, the true freaks of nature would have more experience training and playing against the men.

I will say that if it did happen, it could be a bit like the 4 minute mile phenomenon where no one was able to break it for a long time but once Roger Bannister broke it, it was broken over and over again.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I think that's the real reason you're unlikely to see it. In previous generations it was more feasible that a woman would not have the opportunity to play with other women growing up abd while still incredibly unlikely, the true freaks of nature would have more experience training and playing against the men.

I will say that if it did happen, it could be a bit like the 4 minute mile phenomenon where no one was able to break it for a long time but once Roger Bannister broke it, it was broken over and over again.
    Agreed. If it happens, it'll be when someone who has both the talent and desire to break the door down also is given the opportunity to do it.

Other than being 6'8", what exactly is Griner's "skill"?

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Other than being 6'8", what exactly is Griner's "skill"?
    I don't think Griner will be the woman athlete to break the door down. (as someone who will establish themselves as a quality player anyway.) If she does get drafted, it'll be because of her visibility as one of the best women's players ever, and yeah, her size.

Thanks for your riveting input.

I gave the topic the response it was worth.

ANY notion that Griner could even hack it on the D League is delusional at best. This topic is frankly unfair to Griner, she is as dominant a women's player as has been seen on decades.

That said, she wouldn't even make ANY division 1 roster in men's basketball, let alone play professionally. She is 6'8", 175lbs with almost no handle, limited range, and can barely dunk....

But carry on as ye were....

17. Likes:

Chip R (04-03-2013),coachpipe (04-04-2013),New York Red (04-04-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (04-08-2013)

Turn Off Ads?