Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fathers and Sons and Baseball

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Fathers and Sons and Baseball

I just had to share.

Today my son, three years old, asked my wife "When does baseball come on again? I want to watch with Daddy?"

This is after he watched maybe an inning-and-a-half on Opening Day. This might be the best day I have had as a father since he was born. I can't wait to share many of the things I have shared with my parents through the years: trips to the ballpark, catch in the yard, Reds world championship(s), Opening Day, etc.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

2. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (04-04-2013),bounty37h (04-03-2013),Crumbley (04-03-2013),durl (04-03-2013),JB12 (04-03-2013),mole44 (04-04-2013),paintmered (04-04-2013),Raisor (04-04-2013),Spider Tre (04-03-2013),TOBTTReds (04-03-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fathers and Sons and Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    I just had to share.

Today my son, three years old, asked my wife "When does baseball come on again? I want to watch with Daddy?"

This is after he watched maybe an inning-and-a-half on Opening Day. This might be the best day I have had as a father since he was born. I can't wait to share many of the things I have shared with my parents through the years: trips to the ballpark, catch in the yard, Reds world championship(s), Opening Day, etc.
    I am so jealous. I am either a bad baseball fan or father, because none of my five children share my passion for the Reds/baseball... or any sport for that matter.

5. Likes:

texasdave (04-03-2013)

My sons were into it when they were younger, but it's been all down hill once they became old enough to play video games. Now they watch a few innings and then start asking to play video games. Since we only have one TV, I tell them tough luck. So then they find their handheld devices or books. My baby girl, who's almost 2, will watch with me, so there's still hope.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Neither my daughters (two) nor my wife (one) have the slightest interest in Reds' baseball. My dog (one) will stay in the room with me for an inning or two.

So awesome. I treasure the memories of baseball with my dad and have a 10 month old son who I cant wait to share with. Although so young, he actually seems to watch baseball already. He has a short attention span of course, doesnt watch tv, but will watch it when baseball is on. My dad babysat him a few weeks back when I was working and wife out of town, when I went and picked him up he was curled up on my dads lap watching the WBC.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

9. Likes:

Captain13 (04-03-2013)

Great story. Maybe the Reds will keep him interested through the years. I just got lucky with mine. He is 20 now, but Junior Griffey was his favorite player for a long time. Votto now. All of my favorite pics of the two of us involve baseball.
    Win some, lose some, some get rained out.

Actually, I'll chime in for the daughters too. My oldest daughter and my son (the youngest) are avid fans. Our middle one is a fan, but without the same passion as the other too. It helps that my wife is fan too and she always takes umbrage when people ask her if she became a baseball fan when she married me, "we always had the Cardinals game on the radio at lunch time, thank you!". Our dream trip is to just take off for points unknown and watch baseball of any kind. Some day.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Both of my daughters (10 and under) love to watch baseball...and the Reds in particular. (Took them to their first Major League game last season on our trip to Great American!) My youngest will get out of bed and ask if she can watch some baseball with me. I'm a softie so, naturally, I allow it and she cuddles up close while we watch an inning. They both play softball so we enjoy tossing the ball around in the backyard.

We're a lot like redsmetz family; my wife loves the game and I believe that helped our girls get into it as well.

My son is a lifelong Reds diehard. But he went away to college this year, and will be spending the summer on campus as well, doing research for the school. I lost my baseball buddy.

I have a 14-year old daughter also, but she is a total girly girl and has zero interest in any sports. Except when her's boyfriend's freshman football team plays.

14. Likes:

bounty37h (04-04-2013)

That's so great. My dad is a Braves fan, but that doesn't mean we don't share the love for baseball in general. It's a special thing that really goes well with baseball.

We live in Washington, and my 11 year old son is a rabid Reds fan. He just ran outside to let me know the Reds won, and I have spent the last 1/2 hour watching highlights and talking baseball on the couch with him.

#awesome.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

17. Likes:

Captain13 (04-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    My son is a lifelong Reds diehard. But he went away to college this year, and will be spending the summer on campus as well, doing research for the school. I lost my baseball buddy.

I have a 14-year old daughter also, but she is a total girly girl and has zero interest in any sports. Except when her's boyfriend's freshman football team plays.
    Being a new parent I now have some appreciation for what it was like when I moved away from college, didn't come back often, and my dad not having his "baseball buddy" around anymore. I try to take him to at least one game each summer now-his work schedule and timing dont work for us to do much more than that, but I treasure our time together and am blessed he is still here now that I have matured and really appreciate him for who he is.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Good stories it is really cool when you can use something to bond no matter what it is. Even cooler when its baseball. Two sons 9 and 8. The oldest is a huge baseball fan. Loves history and numbers too so it all comes pretty natural to him. He's into fantasy baseball and the whole thing. Youngest has a short attention span so he would rather be playing but loves Phillips. They both love baseball cards which was a cool way to get them knowing more about the game the same way I did. They get each get a pack a week then have a competition to who can make the best starting 9. This way they learn that no one can beat you once you get Votto at first and so on

OK so I posted this in the Game Thread today before noticing this thread and now I realize that this thread would probably be a better place to put my post.

Here it is....

OK so I want to apologize now. My 18 year old son along with 3 other 18 years olds from his baseball team left out last night after their game to go to today and tomorrow's game in Cincy. They are sitting in the Club section today so they can have "all you can eat." I assume the Reds will lose a lot of money today because of this and will probably not be able to make some moves toward the end of the season because of their extreme financial losses at today's game.

http://instagram.com/p/XqmYpVLdOD/#

I'm very proud of all of my kids but I failed my daughter as she became a Cards fan (along with my traitor wife). I made fun of my two boys on Sunday when they were talking about basketball because their favorite team is whoever Lebron plays for. My youngest said it was because they didn't have anyone influencing them when they were younger on which basketball team to like. Luckily I won out on the baseball team as they are both huge Reds fans.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

21. Likes:

RadfordVA (04-04-2013)

If you have the chance, take your kids to Goodyear, AZ for spring training. We do this every year, and it's amazing. There's something magical about being in the bright sunshine at the ballpark in the middle of the day. It's the perfect way to get out of the winter doldrums and bond over baseball.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?