Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there something wrong with Sean Marshall?

Is there something wrong with Sean Marshall?

Apologize if this has already been posted but I don't see a topic on it already. I was surprised to see Hoover/Broxton both in the game last night and no Marshall. Is there an undisclosed injury? Dusty just decided he hasn't wanted him yet? What's the word?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is there something wrong with Sean Marshall?

According to Fay, he is "ailing" and wasn't available the last 2 games.

Angels are RH heavy, so it's a good time for him to get better

Worse than ailing, now Fay says "shoulder fatigue."

John Fay ‏@johnfayman 4m
    Marshall had some shoulder fatigue. Eased off toward the end of spring. He expects to be able to pitch Friday. #reds #cincienquirer

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...o-go-tomorrow/

Left-hander Sean Marshall was not available out of the bullpen for the first two games of the year. And he won’t be available today.

“Spring training was so long,” he said. “I got a little bit of fatigue in my shoulder. Just precautionary, they had me doing some therapy and getting it strong again. I’m probably a day or two away. Hopefully, I’ll be ready for (tomorrow’s) game.”

Marshall has not pitched in an official big league game since March 22, so, if the Reds had disabled him, he would have only missed less than a week.

“That time has passed,” he said. “The guys in the bullpen have done such a good job in the first two games of the season. We had that off day in between. That gave me just enough time to finish my recovery.

“I’ve throw some bullpens in between. I’ve tried not to overdo it. I’ll throw today and hopefully be ready for tomorrow.”

I'm glad the Reds are being cautious with Marshall.
    It would be devastating if Marshall developed a serious injury.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

"Shoulder fatigue."

I hate that String of words.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I'm glad the Reds are being cautious with Marshall.
    It would be devastating if Marshall developed a serious injury.
    I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he get's retroactively dl'd just to be safe. It's a long season.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Might explain the late decision to keep Parra instead of Arredondo.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Might explain the late decision to keep Parra instead of Arredondo.
    Definitely as good a reason as any. Also probably explains why Hoover was kept in on Monday... doesn't seem like they had much depth behind him.

I always wonder about the Reds aversion to use the DL. It is like they enjoy being short handed.

13. Likes:

goreds2 (04-04-2013), remdog (04-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I always wonder about the Reds aversion to use the DL. It is like they enjoy being short handed.
    So... removing one of our best relievers for 15 days when it's likely he'll be back by this weekend is a good idea? 3 missed games from a reliever does not equal a DL trip.

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    So... removing one of our best relievers for 15 days when it's likely he'll be back by this weekend is a good idea? 3 missed games from a reliever does not equal a DL trip.
    It would be retroactive to 3/22. So they could have DL'd him and carried another pitcher. He would have been eligible to come off on April 6th.

If he comes back this weekend ready to go then I agree with you. If he gets DLed anyway, then I think we see KLW's point

I can understand the hesitation if it could not have been retroactive. In this case it looks like there was a plan that he would not be available until 4/5 anyway. With the DL potentially being retroactive so that it ended on 4.6, it would have allowed the Reds to keep an extra arm just in case things went sideways. For instance, what if a starter was roughed up after that long game Monday things really could have been rough. Factor in cold weather, early season arms and having an extra arm and the added caution for Marshall, the one day more of DL would have made sense.

Turn Off Ads?