Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BRM obsession

BRM obsession

Does any fan base / city obsess about one periods team as much as this fanbase and city? I've heard us being made fun of by outsiders. Maybe its because outside of the Yankees no other franchise can boast about such a strong team that was good for nearly a decade?

Just wondering your guys thoughts? I get pretty excited talking about the BRM as much as anyone and I was born in 1976 so I didn't even experience it. So if we are to be made fun of, lump me in.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: BRM obsession

80's 49er Fans say hello...

4. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-06-2013),remdog (09-06-2013),Revering4Blue (09-06-2013)

BTW ever hear anyone talk about the Brooklyn Dodgers? Or the 60's era Packers, late 60's Chiefs? 70's Raiders?

I have all to the point of exhaustion.

BTW those BRM teams were stacked baby

6. Likes:

Always Red (09-06-2013),BuckeyeRedleg (09-06-2013),Roy Tucker (09-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    BTW ever hear anyone talk about the Brooklyn Dodgers? Or the 60's era Packers, late 60's Chiefs? 70's Raiders?

80's Lakers, 90's Bulls, 60's Celtics...
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

I know that a lot of us Redskins fans are guilty of reveling in the Joe Gibbs Era (Part 1), while trying to forget that most of the past two decades didn't happen.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Jealousy Of Sheer Greatness. I Consider Myself Fortunate To Have Witnessed it.

10. Likes:

Always Red (09-06-2013),BuckeyeRedleg (09-06-2013),Redsfansince72 (09-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Jealousy Of Sheer Greatness. I Consider Myself Fortunate To Have Witnessed it.
    I agree. I wish I was around to have seen it first hand.

12. Likes:

redsfandan (09-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I agree. I wish I was around to have seen it first hand.
    As A Kid Growing Up Who Loved The Game, They Made My Childhood Very Special. Didn't Realize It At The Time, But As The Years Have Passed, It Has Become Very Clear How Unique And Special That The Big Red Machine Was. Once In A Lifetime, One In A Million.

14. Likes:

Always Red (09-06-2013),BuckeyeRedleg (09-06-2013),HeatherC1212 (09-08-2013),Number_Fourteen (09-07-2013),Red in Chicago (09-06-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (09-06-2013),Redsfansince72 (09-06-2013),remdog (09-06-2013),Revering4Blue (09-06-2013),Strikes Out Looking (09-06-2013),SunDeck (09-08-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (09-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    As A Kid Growing Up Who Loved The Game, They Made My Childhood Very Special. Didn't Realize It At The Time, But As The Years Have Passed, It Has Become Very Clear How Unique And Special That The Big Red Machine Was. Once In A Lifetime, One In A Million.
    The brm and the stories my dad and uncles would tell is really the reason I began to love baseball as a kid.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

I was born in the 80s so missed the entirety of the BRM. However luckily for me I experienced the lost decade while in my sports viewing prime. I don't care about the BRM. I know how good they were, but I witnessed zero of it. I saw a few of the guys in the twilight of their careers. I make fun of my Dad all the time because he brings them up 1 in 3 baseball conversations. However when debating with friends I will throw their stats and championships in the face of anyone trying to belittle the reds. Mariners!?!?! Tell me all about your team's AL pennants, or how sweet those 4 playoff appearences were...

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

While a few franchises, most obviously the Yankees, have enjoyed several stunning peaks, for most teams, even those who have won championships in several different eras, there is a peak that is unlikely to ever be approached again.
    The Packers have won NFL titles in the 20s, 30s, 40s, 90s and in 2010, but nothing has compared or is ever likely to compare to the Lombadi Packers of the 60s. The 80s Raiders under Tom Flores actually won more Super Bowls than the 70s Raiders under John Madden, but it is and probably always be the 70s Raiders that have first place in the hearts of Raiders Nation.
    The Reds have won World Series in 1919, 1940 and 1990, and I hope they win some more, but they are unlikely to ever again approach the sustained run of greatness of the Big Red Machine.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

18. Likes:

Always Red (09-06-2013),BuckeyeRedleg (09-06-2013)

I grew up in Oxford, and though Walter Alston from very nearby Darrtown (and the Dodgers) were my brothers heroes, mine were the Reds. Look at the list of 100 all-time best baseball players that The Sporting News produced many years ago and there are 3 Reds who all played on that team in the 70's listed. You all know who they are. Not even the great '27 Yankees could claim such a feat. And that doesn't even include Tom Seaver.

One of my favorite memories was having my Great Uncle in town visiting from New York. He cried a river of tears when my sister offered him her ticket to the Series game 2 at Riverfront. Though a lifelong Yankee fan, he had never been able to attend a Series game. It mattered not that we were 4 rows from the top in the Red seats at Riverfront - he was at a World Series game. He didn't even seem to care the Reds won. He sat for most of the game fighting the tears. He died very shortly after.

Baseball creates amazing memories like that. Anyone, who as a teenager like myself at the time, who grew up watching the BRM witnessed a team as good as any to have every played the game. Anybody who doesn't like to hear me talk about that team doesn't need to listen.

20. Likes:

Always Red (09-06-2013),dfs (09-06-2013),HeatherC1212 (09-08-2013),Number_Fourteen (09-07-2013),Redeyecat (09-06-2013),remdog (09-07-2013),Tom Servo (09-07-2013),westofyou (09-06-2013)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Does any fan base / city obsess about one periods team as much as this fanbase and city? I've heard us being made fun of by outsiders. Maybe its because outside of the Yankees no other franchise can boast about such a strong team that was good for nearly a decade?

Just wondering your guys thoughts? I get pretty excited talking about the BRM as much as anyone and I was born in 1976 so I didn't even experience it. So if we are to be made fun of, lump me in.
    Gee, where to begin? Just off the top of my head...

PIT - Steel Curtain
    OAK - The Raiders of the 70s
    CHI - Monsters of Midway, 1985
    GB - Lambeau's Packers
    LA - Magic & Kareem's Lakers
    BOS - Bird's Celtics
    NYY - The good ol' days of the 90s

Human nature. Happens anywhere that they had a great run.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

I agree, its natural when your team has a good run. It's why I'm enjoying the Blackhawks run right now in hockey. I may not see another Cup, but its fun to be in the mix.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

If you'd have seen it, you would never forget it.

And the pitching was top 3 in the NL throughout the era, which is the dirty, untold secret of why those teams were so good. You should look it up! Jack Billngham, Don Gullett and Gary Nolan, at the very least, should also be there this weekend.
    sorry we're boring

24. Likes:

757690 (09-06-2013),Redsfansince72 (09-06-2013),remdog (09-07-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (09-06-2013)

Turn Off Ads?