Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Reds Home Attendance Tracker

Re: 2013 Reds Home Attendance Tracker

Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    As far as the reds attendance goes I don't understand why they are only 17. The Cincy metro area isn't too big but the Cincy regional area is massive. There are almost 10 million people within a 2 hour radius of GABP.
    Unless it is a Saturday or Sunday game, two hours isn't nearly enough time to make it to a game for anyone who has a job.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Salukifan2

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Unless it is a Saturday or Sunday game, two hours isn't nearly enough time to make it to a game for anyone who has a job.
    Dayton is another 800,000 and that's less than an hour. Lexington is 500k and that's less than an hour and a half. Columbus is well under 2 hours especially if you go the standard 5-10 over. There are a lot of people in that area, its a great ball park, and cool old river town. They have no reason to not be at 35k a game
    Last edited by Salukifan2; 05-25-2013 at 10:09 PM.

Dayton is another 800,000 and that's less than an hour. Lexington is 500k and that's less than an hour and a half. Columbus is well under 2 hours especially if you go the standard 5-10 over. There are a lot of people in that area, its a great ball park, and cool old river town. They have no reason to not be at 35k a game
    Columbus is under 2 hours on a Thursday afternoon at 2pm. It most certainly isn't under 2 hours if you get out of work at 5pm. Same for Lexington. It simply is not reasonably except for Saturday/Sunday games to expect those fans to make it.

Salukifan2

Columbus is under 2 hours on a Thursday afternoon at 2pm. It most certainly isn't under 2 hours if you get out of work at 5pm. Same for Lexington. It simply is not reasonably except for Saturday/Sunday games to expect those fans to make it.
    Neither of us can speak to the schedules of individual fans in Lexington or Columbus ( at least I certainly can't). All I know is that milwaukee is ALOT smaller than cincy in both metro and regional population and the brewers still averaged 35k a game last year. If they can do it then cincy can too

6. Likes:

RedsBaron (05-25-2013)

Neither of us can speak to the schedules of individual fans in Lexington or Columbus ( at least I certainly can't). All I know is that milwaukee is ALOT smaller than cincy in both metro and regional population and the brewers still averaged 35k a game last year. If they can do it then cincy can too
    I can say that most people work until 4:30 or 5, so making the trip from either of those places for a 7pm game simply doesn't work.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    I always walk right by the bus when I get there. If I see you I'll obnoxiously shout "heyyyy Redszone Heather!"

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Well, I didn't hear anyone screaming that today so I'll assume you weren't around the bus when I was there, LOL

BTW-The bus is a TON of fun if anyone has a group going to a game sometime this season and wants to take it there. I loved not having to worry about parking, we got t-shirts, visors, snacks, and drinks on the way there, we could keep stuff on the bus if we didn't want to take it into the game, and going home was crazy relaxing not having to navigate the insanity of the post game crowds. I would highly recommend it!!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

When I lived in Lexington, we left work around 5 and attended 20+ games per year, most of them during the week. Several friends of mine still do. I will say a radar detector helps. It's only 80-85 miles. You can make it easily if traffic isn't bad.
    Last edited by Norm Chortleton; 05-25-2013 at 10:39 PM.

I live and work in Columbus. I've been to a few weekday Reds' games over the past few years, but I have to leave work an hour or two earlier than usual to make sure we get to the game on time, plus I might not get back home until 1 AM so I get less sleep that night. So if I go to a game, it's most likely going to be a weekend game.

Cincinnati is the third smallest market in MLB. Sure they have other cities to draw from, but so does nearly every other team, who have much larger ciites to draw from. Your math just isn't correct.

Milwaukee has always drawn well, mostly because there is nothing else to do in Wisconsin but watch sports. Saint Louis are the Yankees of the NL. They both are outliers, and not good comps for Cincinnati. The Reds have never drawn well, even with the BRM. They were only averaging around 30K a game back then.

There really is no logical reason to expect the Reds to draw like a bigger market team.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The Reds have never drawn well, even with the BRM. They were only averaging around 30K a game back then.
    Reds' attendance has by and large stayed the same, while other teams' has grown. The 28,588 the Reds averaged in 1975, for example, was 2nd in the NL. Last year, the 28,978 was 10th in the NL.

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Well, I didn't hear anyone screaming that today so I'll assume you weren't around the bus when I was there, LOL

BTW-The bus is a TON of fun if anyone has a group going to a game sometime this season and wants to take it there. I loved not having to worry about parking, we got t-shirts, visors, snacks, and drinks on the way there, we could keep stuff on the bus if we didn't want to take it into the game, and going home was crazy relaxing not having to navigate the insanity of the post game crowds. I would highly recommend it!!
    I did look for you. :-)

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD
    numbersinthereds.blogspot.com I actually made a post on 7/24/14. I promise.

As a lexingtonian who has been to several weeknight games the past few years.

I'm usually back at around 1130-1230 depending on game length. As young as I am, it still gets me enough sleep. I certainly understand why those who have kids or want more sleep than I don't do it.

I can say that most people work until 4:30 or 5, so making the trip from either of those places for a 7pm game simply doesn't work.
    Not just that, but after the game, there is still the matter of a 2 hour drive home only to get in after midnight most days. Then you get up around 5 or 6 to start the next day's workday and do it all over again. I live two hours away and even if I could limit it to an 8 hour work day (most days are 11 or 12 not counting driving to and from the office), there is no way I'd have the energy to do that. I just don't think its realistic for fans from much more than a half hour to 45 minutes away to be the 81 games per year season ticket types. Maybe a few of the retired or independently wealthy can, but those with real, "get up and go to work every day" jobs don't have 7 hours or so to devote to going to a ball game (2 Hours driving to the game, 3 hours at the game and 2 hours driving home) 81 times per year. It's just not realistic. Heck, we haven't even mentioned anything about family commitments that may require some of that time.

That 10 Million people within 2 hours does show-up significantly in the TV ratings though and I think the Reds next TV deal should be a huge jump in revenue and IMO is more important than attendance at the park. Major League Baseball is mostly a TV show these days and that's where the largest percentage of the revenue comes from.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

16. Likes:

LexRedsFan (05-26-2013)

I think the points about the distance one has to travel to a game make a ton of sense.

It looks to me like the Reds are on track to have a great summer attendance wise. The Memorial Day weekend numbers weren't as good last year, for example.

Two things keep the numbers down for people within 25 miles:

#1, biggest of all, KIDS IN SCHOOL. Cincinnati is a family oriented town. For example, if you look around the day games during the week, it's probably 10,000 moms and their little little kids just spending the day out of the house.

#2, not far behind, WEATHER WIMPY-NESS. If it's going to be in the 40's or 50's people don't even want to plan to stay warm, they'll just stay home. That and the threat of rain and a night spent waiting for rain delays, it just goes against the grain of the mentality in Cincinnati of being 'smart' and 'practical' and 'not wasteful'. I think the fact that so many kids do go to games also makes the weather a double whammy during the school year.

Other cities have the same problems, unless they were smart and built a roof (Milwaukee). But I think the numbers are obvious and present the fact that Cincinnati is probably more extreme than most cities for being careful with the timing of their attendance.

The only thing that will bump the April and September numbers up are increased season tickets, (which will come when the Reds win the Series this year) and even then the TV shots won't show a ton more people in the seats.

I think Cincinnati is starting to believe in this years chances more than ever. I think Choo has most of what to do with that.

Turn Off Ads?