Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Reds Home Attendance Tracker

Re: 2013 Reds Home Attendance Tracker

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I

Other cities have the same problems, unless they were smart and built a roof (Milwaukee). But I think the numbers are obvious and present the fact that Cincinnati is probably more extreme than most cities for being careful with the timing of their attendance.
    I think the Reds next stadium should have a roof. About 40 years away?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Salukifan2

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Cincinnati is the third smallest market in MLB. Sure they have other cities to draw from, but so does nearly every other team, who have much larger ciites to draw from. Your math just isn't correct.

Milwaukee has always drawn well, mostly because there is nothing else to do in Wisconsin but watch sports. Saint Louis are the Yankees of the NL. They both are outliers, and not good comps for Cincinnati. The Reds have never drawn well, even with the BRM. They were only averaging around 30K a game back then.

There really is no logical reason to expect the Reds to draw like a bigger market team.

There is not another Midwestern city that has as many top 100 media markets within 2 hours away like Cincy. And not only are they large markets, they are markets without the MLB and with the exception of Louisville none of the markets have an old allegiance to another team

Not Pittsburgh, not Cleveland, saint Louis, KC, Milwaukee, or Minneapolis. The Cindy regional area is really really big.

Also, Milwaukee is Boring? That's the best you can come up with?
    Last edited by Salukifan2; 05-26-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    There is not another Midwestern city that has as many top 100 media markets within 2 hours away like Cincy. And not only are they large markets, they are markets without the MLB and with the exception of Louisville none of the markets have an old allegiance to another team

Not Pittsburgh, not Cleveland, saint Louis, KC, Milwaukee, or Minneapolis. The Cindy regional area is really really big.

Also, Milwaukee is Boring? That's the best you can come up with?
    Milwaukee is a bit strange with their attendance. Their attendance was awful before Miller Park. They averaged as low as 15,000 in 1995. From 1980 through 2000 they had 9 years where they averaged less than 20,000 (Reds had 3, all in the early 80's). Of course County Stadium was a dump and made Riverfront seem like the Taj Mahal. Yet still, their attendance was awful. It jumped significantly when Miller Park was opened, quickly dropped, and then jumped again when they got good. It sort of feels like the Indians of the 90's. New ballpark replacing an old dump, team suddenly good, and going to the ballpark is THE thing to do. We will see if it stands the test of time or not as the ballpark and the team loses some of it's luster.

The Reds may actually pass Milwaukee this year. The team is winning and school is out or almost out. Always a big jump for Reds attendance, and it has been that way as long as I can remember. I can easily see 32,000 average this year.

Plus, let's face it. Part of the problem is there is not a lot of things to do around the stadium area and downtown Cincinnati. It is better than in the past when there was literally close to nothing. When the only real attraction is just going to the game, well, tv feels like a good option much of the time (or radio for people in the past). The Reds are often a top 5 team for tv and radio ratings. So there are plenty of fans who care about the team, there just isn't enough attraction outside of the actual game to draw people to come to the game for the money it costs.

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post

Plus, let's face it. Part of the problem is there is not a lot of things to do around the stadium area and downtown Cincinnati.
    Wait, really?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    Milwaukee is a bit strange with their attendance. Their attendance was awful before Miller Park. They averaged as low as 15,000 in 1995. From 1980 through 2000 they had 9 years where they averaged less than 20,000 (Reds had 3, all in the early 80's). Of course County Stadium was a dump and made Riverfront seem like the Taj Mahal. Yet still, their attendance was awful. It jumped significantly when Miller Park was opened, quickly dropped, and then jumped again when they got good. It sort of feels like the Indians of the 90's. New ballpark replacing an old dump, team suddenly good, and going to the ballpark is THE thing to do. We will see if it stands the test of time or not as the ballpark and the team loses some of it's luster.

The Reds may actually pass Milwaukee this year. The team is winning and school is out or almost out. Always a big jump for Reds attendance, and it has been that way as long as I can remember. I can easily see 32,000 average this year.

Plus, let's face it. Part of the problem is there is not a lot of things to do around the stadium area and downtown Cincinnati. It is better than in the past when there was literally close to nothing. When the only real attraction is just going to the game, well, tv feels like a good option much of the time (or radio for people in the past). The Reds are often a top 5 team for tv and radio ratings. So there are plenty of fans who care about the team, there just isn't enough attraction outside of the actual game to draw people to come to the game for the money it costs.
    Huh?

That comment is so 1995.

I've been to a ton of ballparks around the country and Cincinnati offers far more to do before/after games in downtown, The Banks and Newport than all but a few places.

7. Likes:

bigredmechanism (06-07-2013),Edd Roush (06-01-2013),mdccclxix (06-04-2013),remdog (06-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Wow. Just wow.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

The Reds are about to hit a string of nice weekend home series that should all top 100k per. The question is how many people will be going to the mid week games. Yesterday stunk (>19k), but it was a Monday. If Tues, Wed, Thurs games can hover around 28k average, the Reds will get their attendance into the 31k per game range for the season.

Not too good of a reason that Denver should be out drawing the Reds at this point, for example.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    The Reds are about to hit a string of nice weekend home series that should all top 100k per. The question is how many people will be going to the mid week games. Yesterday stunk (>19k), but it was a Monday. If Tues, Wed, Thurs games can hover around 28k average, the Reds will get their attendance into the 31k per game range for the season.

Not too good of a reason that Denver should be out drawing the Reds at this point, for example.
    Can we really expect a spike on non-promotion Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays? I would imagine that the same reasons for people not attending on Monday apply to Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

For the record, I expect around 20,000 paid tonight, but a major bump on Wednesday for Mat Latos bobblehead. It is just tough for this team to draw during the week with a smaller population than other cities within 30 miles of the stadium.

I understand why they do it, but it sucks that the Kid Glove tickets don't count towards total announced attendance. The 18,498 number isn't indicative of how many fans were at GABP last night. In reality there were 25,998 bodies physically at the game when you include the 7,500 Kid Glove attendees. 26K for a Monday night game against the Rockies ain't too shabby. 18.5K on the other hand, doesn't look too good and really kills the overall attendance numbers.

Same thing is going to happen tonight with nearly 5,000 tickets given away as a part of the Redlegs Run. Won't count towards attendance but they'll be in the stadium.
    Last edited by WestSideBomber; 06-04-2013 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    it burnses me.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by WestSideBomber View Post
    I understand why they do it, but it sucks that the Kid Glove tickets don't count towards total announced attendance. The 18,498 number isn't indicative of how many fans were at GABP last night. In reality there were 25,998 bodies physically at the game when you include the 7,500 Kid Glove attendees. 26K for a Monday night game against the Rockies ain't too shabby. 18.5K on the other hand, doesn't look too good and really kills the overall attendance numbers.

Same thing is going to happen tonight with nearly 5,000 tickets given away as a part of the Redlegs Run. Won't count towards attendance but they'll be in the stadium.
    Huh, I didn't know that, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Can we really expect a spike on non-promotion Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays? I would imagine that the same reasons for people not attending on Monday apply to Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

For the record, I expect around 20,000 paid tonight, but a major bump on Wednesday for Mat Latos bobblehead. It is just tough for this team to draw during the week with a smaller population than other cities within 30 miles of the stadium.
    Yeah, I'm not sure with the promo info I just learned, but Monday's tend to be far worse than say a Thurs day game or Wednesday night.

Walk-up should be strong tonight. The weather in Cincinnati is nothing short of ideal right now.

I just heard from a friend that an email went out from the Reds front office offering discounts on tickets this weekend. I'm a bit surprised...

Is this series -- at least Friday and Saturday nights -- not going to be completely sold out?

We've sold out our last two weekend series Fri & Sat so it really will surprise me if it doesn't sell out.

Turn Off Ads?