Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sciossia (sp?) pitching to Votto....

Sciossia (sp?) pitching to Votto....

Notice on opening day in a similar spot they pitch around Joey to get to Ludwick. With BP there yesterday (and adimittedly a lefty pitching) they went ahead and pitched to Joey and got burned...gotta wonder if that's Ludwick if they'd have done the same...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sciossia (sp?) pitching to Votto....

I missed the game, but in the game summary, they mentioned that the Angels had no RH pitcher ready.
    I think the Angel's manager said something to the effect of "pick your poison" in that situation. I remember him saying the Reds had a strong middle of the lineup.
    I doubt they would've walked Votto to pitch to Ludwick.. I think they were going lefty-lefty and hoping for the best.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

If you pitch to Joey Votto, it's going to be bad.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

This is where the lefty/lefty thing gets a little crazy. If the pitcher was RH they would have surely walked Votto but since he throws with his southern arm they pitch to the best hitter in our lineup when all we need is a single. 9 out of 10 managers handle this the way Scioscia did, including our own, but I still disagree. I walk Votto and work on getting a DP out of Phillips

I think Brandon may in fact be a better option for 4th. I would have preferred Bruce/Phillips 4th or 5th, and then Ludwick 6th.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Scott Downs generally eats lefty hitters for breakfast. If you have one of the best lefty relievers in the league, at some point you have to put some faith in him.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

8. Likes:

REDREAD (04-04-2013)

I would have walked Votto but I understand why Sciossa didn't. Lefty/lefty matchup with Phillips on deck.

I would have had a righty in the bullpen warming up, and faced BP instead, the double play king.

NO WAY he should have pitched to Votto in that situation.

Walk Votto and pitch to BP with the double play in order.

It's an obvious move.

Joey is better in the clutch against righties, lefties, and people who pitch with their feet than anybody else in our lineup.

Pitching to BP w/ runers on first and second allows you to get out of the inning with one pitch.

I'm glad Scioscia (sp?) had a brain cramp in the ninth.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...100641&page=15

We discussed the heck out of this starting here.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Scott Downs generally eats lefty hitters for breakfast. If you have one of the best lefty relievers in the league, at some point you have to put some faith in him.
    Exactly, many forget that the pitcher is just as competitive as the batter, the other team is just as competitive as your team. It's not always chess, sometimes it's two goats running at each other full speed to see who prevails.

Folks can talk about how bad the bunt is and then completely forget that from the defensive side of the game an IB can be just as ill timed, the batter (in this case Votto has a RISP BA of .370 something over the past couple of seasons, that's still an out 2/3rds of the time.) Alan Craig is right behind Votto in the aforementioned stat, last night the Dbacks elected to pitch to him instead of around him and he struck out. Announcer Bob Brenley stressed that he was more likely to make an out than succeed.

13. Likes:

remdog (04-04-2013)

Lets reverse it, if you're the Reds, who do you want facing Downs?

Votto or Phillips?

Dusty chose Phillips. Mikey chose Votto.

They both chose incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Lets reverse it, if you're the Reds, who do you want facing Downs?

Votto or Phillips?

Dusty chose Phillips. Mikey chose Votto.

They both chose incorrectly.
    “It's partly true, too, but it isn't all true. People always think something's all true.”
    ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    “It's partly true, too, but it isn't all true. People always think something's all true.”
    ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

"Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat."

--Jesse "The Body" Ventura

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    NO WAY he should have pitched to Votto in that situation.

Walk Votto and pitch to BP with the double play in order.

It's an obvious move.

Joey is better in the clutch against righties, lefties, and people who pitch with their feet than anybody else in our lineup.

Pitching to BP w/ runers on first and second allows you to get out of the inning with one pitch.

I'm glad Scioscia (sp?) had a brain cramp in the ninth.
    Apparently it isn't a brain cramp. Angels fans call it Scioscia Ball. He's very Dusty like.

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    Apparently it isn't a brain cramp. Angels fans call it Scioscia Ball. He's very Dusty like.
    He's very "every other" manager in the game like.

Who is the outlier if someone is "Dusty Like" it means... "Old School", "Archaic"

Who are the trend setters out there?

I know Maddon platoons (so did John McGraw) I know he shifts a lot (Lou Boudreu says hello) Uses a robust BP (Paging George Anderson)

And he's the guy everyone speaks of.

Now we know there are visionaries in the FO all over the leagues... but who in the dugout is not "Dusty Like" or as now forever known as DL (TM)

19. Likes:

redsmetz (04-04-2013)

Turn Off Ads?