Turn Off Ads?

Thread: IF in

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

IF in

What's your guys IF in strategy? Last night in the Angels 8th with one out and runners on second and third, Reds up by 1 run...I thought the obvious call was to bring the IF in. I was sitting behind the Reds dugout camera well within 6 feet of Chris Spier. I told him twice to bring the IF in while Phillips was arguing with an ump. He didnt do it and the next batter hit a solid two hopper to Cozart which easily cuts down the runner advancing to home if the IF were in. Runner went on contact since IF was back. Run scores, game tied. My way we would have won, Latos gets a W and Chapman a save. Chris's way required a walk off win.
    Last edited by powersackers; 04-04-2013 at 11:08 AM.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Re: IF in

I only like infield in if it is to keep the winning or go ahead run from scoring. Wouldn't have used it in this situation as being home team I still liked the teams chances in tie game and would rather prevent a big inning. Wouldn't argue to strong against just didn't like it in this situation.

Play for tie at home and win on the road. Your way may have resulted to a different pitch sequence which could have led to a different result. In the Reds situation I probably would played the IF back. You may give up a run but you are doing more to limit a big inning.

I was actually shouting and cursing at the TV last night when I saw that Cozy standing on the edge of the outfield fielding that grounder. However, in retrospect, with the go-ahead run at 2nd, I probably would have played 'em halfway.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

The key is that there were runners on 2nd AND 3rd.

Keeping the IF back was CLEARLY the right call IMO.

With the infield in the odds of a base hit getting though the drawn in infield go up way too much. A base hit which would have put us BEHIND.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    I was sitting behind the Reds dugout camera well within 6 feet of Chris Spier. I told him twice to bring the IF in while Phillips was arguing with an ump. He didnt do it...
    What an insubordinate jerk.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

7. Likes:

Blimpie (04-04-2013),Captain13 (04-04-2013),LexRedsFan (04-04-2013),pahster (04-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    The key is that there were runners on 2nd AND 3rd.

Keeping the IF back was CLEARLY the right call IMO.

With the infield in the odds of a base hit getting though the drawn in infield go up way too much. A base hit which would have put us BEHIND.
    I see your point. I Suppose the odds of a single getting through go up by some percentage and the go ahead run scoring is more likely as well.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Runner on 3rd, IF in. Runners on 2nd and 3rd, IF back. Runners on 1st and 3rd, double play depth.
    Sto Pro Veritate

10. Likes:

mth123 (04-06-2013)

You never play in if a resulting hit scores 2 runs and your done by 1...that's baseball 101...I do see some managers from time to time go against this theory but not very often.

I've never heard a poster complain that a coach didn't listen to his in game advice. First time for everything.

Nice seats though.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I've never heard a poster complain that a coach didn't listen to his in game advice. First time for everything.

Nice seats though.
    Wasn't a complaint. I asked and he didn't do it. I wasn't sure my advice was correct anyway - so I asked y'all.

PS - those seats, 3 of them in row 1, were available at 6:45pm from the Reds Ticket office, my buddies traded in 3 worse seats for credit then got those for $82 a piece.

Wasn't a complaint. I asked and he didn't do it. I wasn't sure my advice was correct anyway - so I asked y'all.

PS - those seats, 3 of them in row 1, were available at 6:45pm from the Reds Ticket office, my buddies traded in 3 worse seats for credit then got those for $82 a piece.
    How does that even happen? Good for you.

I'm sorry to rib you but I just got a kick out of how you just so matter of factly mentioned you told Speier what needed to be done.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    When a coach starts listening to advice from people in the stands, he'll soon be sitting among them.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

What's your guys IF in strategy? Last night in the Angels 8th with one out and runners on second and third, Reds up by 1 run...I thought the obvious call was to bring the IF in. I was sitting behind the Reds dugout camera well within 6 feet of Chris Spier. I told him twice to bring the IF in while Phillips was arguing with an ump. He didnt do it and the next batter hit a solid two hopper to Cozart which easily cuts down the runner advancing to home if the IF were in. Runner went on contact since IF was back. Run scores, game tied. My way we would have won, Latos gets a W and Chapman a save. Chris's way required a walk off win.
    Actually, since playing the infield in would have resulted in a completely different set of events occuring, we have no idea what would have happened afterwards.

We ended up winning, so changing the strategy could not have given us a better result, only worse.

But it is standard stategy in that situation to play the infield back.

Turn Off Ads?