Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Get Bruce some extra help?

Re: Get Bruce some extra help?

Early last year I was optimistic about Bruce because he came out of the chute hitting balls hard to the opposite field. Not quite as optimistic now, but I'm encouraged again by his taking balls with authority to left -- especially the ball he hit right down the line, because he has done that very rarely. It didn't look like a mistake to me. He seemed to legitimately wait and use his hands well.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    On a night when the entire team hit rapiers all over the park, including Manny Parra; I hope we are not going to say Jay Bruce has solved it because he hit a few doubles. His approach at the plate is still largely a huge issue.
    Well we know you won't, but frankly when it comes Bruce you're the last guy most of the board will look to for an opinion

4. Likes:

George Anderson (04-06-2013),Homer Bailey (04-09-2013),OnBaseMachine (04-06-2013),wheels (04-07-2013)

Maybe I was overreacting when I started this thread, but I want the Reds to win as bad as anyone. Good to see Bruce is starting to make contact.

Maybe?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Jay has certainly had struggles early on with making contact. But he has hit the ball to left field 43% of the time he has put it in play this year. Last year he only went the opposite way 12% of the time. Small sample size alert, without question, but it is interesting to see.

8. Likes:

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Can we revisit this thread when he's on one of his patented torrid streaks?
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Another ball hit to left field for Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Somebody got to jay this offseason and "gave him some extra help".

That's a good sign. I still am perplexed by his total lack of power when hitting the ball opposite field. He just doesn't seem to have any strength going oppo. Whenever he does get a gap shot to left center, it's a softly hit ball. He usually hits lazy fly balls when going to left.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

As a good friend once told me: IT'S. ONLY. 6. GAMES.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    That's a good sign. I still am perplexed by his total lack of power when hitting the ball opposite field. He just doesn't seem to have any strength going oppo. Whenever he does get a gap shot to left center, it's a softly hit ball. He usually hits lazy fly balls when going to left.
    He's missed 2 HRs by a combined like 8 feet this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    He's missed 2 HRs by a combined like 8 feet this year.
    That precisely corroborates my point. He can hit the ball really hard when pulling it. When he goes opposite field, it's warning track power.

That's always been the case. Look at his hit charts so far in his career and see where the ball winds up when going to left. He only hit two homers to left last season.

Take, for instance, his 2011 hit chart:

"No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Wouldn't most people hit the ball farther when pulling it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    As a good friend once told me: IT'S. ONLY. 6. GAMES.
    Certainly, it is early and all of that. But Bruce has gone to left field the same number of times he has hit the ball to every other position on the field combined.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Wouldn't most people hit the ball farther when pulling it?
    Most of the best hitters in baseball have the power to hit homers opposite field. Bruce hasn't really done that. He only has a handful of homers to left in his career. That's why he hasn't established himself as a consistent hitter.

I will try to find this, but I saw a stat last year that his OPS to left was way below league average compared to all hitters when going opposite field. He simply doesn't make hard contact when going the other way.

Turn Off Ads?