Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Cingrani...

Re: Cingrani...

Alright you guys can keep fighting all you want, but...

Tony Cingrani
    IP: 14.1 - H: 3 - BB: 2 - SO: 26 - AVG: .067 - ERA: 0.00
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Fred or Fredrick, whatever. Don't call it Bob, though.
    I'm going to call it Freddy, like Freddy Krueger. Hopefully it scares the opposing hitters.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I'm going to call it Freddy, like Freddy Krueger. Hopefully it scares the opposing hitters.
    Little-known factoid. Freddy Krueger is actually Edward Scissorhands evil twin. Wolverine is a second cousin on the paternal side.

So Freddy's great grandpa (edit: AND Edward Scissorhands) and Wolverine's great grandpa are the same guy? Huh. Interesting family. I bet they have the best scrapbook collections.
    Last edited by mdccclxix; 04-16-2013 at 09:00 AM.

Great Grampa. Notice the (deformed) right hand tucked away.

It also turns out great Grampa's name is Tony, so we're back on topic.

Great Grampa was also the inspiration for the Swiss Army Knife. Small world.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Great Grampa was also the inspiration for the Swiss Army Knife. Small world.

Yes, it's a small, and cruel, world. Come back soon, Johnny Cueto.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I watched from the first base side tonight, so I have no idea what anything looked like on TV. With that said, there were zero curveballs thrown from Cingrani tonight for the Reds.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I watched from the first base side tonight, so I have no idea what anything looked like on TV. With that said, there were zero curveballs thrown from Cingrani tonight for the Reds.
    It was hilarious man. It was as if Chris Welsh had been reading this board. He literally started off the broadcast by saying "There is some debate whether Cingrani throws a slider or a curve. He calls it a slider. I guess we'll find out tonight."

I almost fell out of my chair laughing. The slider/curve debate makes it to the Reds' TV broadcast! I'm not joking. And some of you thought it was just a silly RedsZone thing.

My professional opinion? (OK, my "amateur" opinion.) Cingrani throws a "slurve." I was a pitcher back in the day and this is similar to the breaking ball I threw. Not a true slider, not a true curve. Cingrani calls it a slider, but baseball coaches would call that a "slurve." I had no idea what to call the pitch I threw (accidentally invented it while throwing warm-ups one day) and my coach said "You're throwing a slurve." I was like "a slurve?" I had never heard of that term before. But I've heard it several times since and that's exactly what Cingrani is throwing.

Thank goodness he throws it better than I did. Even better: Thank goodness he's left-handed and throws his fastball about 15 MPH faster than I could. (Hey, I was a decent HS pitcher though.)

PS: He did throw some slurves tonight, Doug. Took him until the 4th inning to throw a good one, but he threw a few of them. The vast majority of his pitches were fastballs (of course) and he threw his change more than his slurve. But he did throw his slurve a few times. He had a real good one in the 4th and Welsh immediately said "That was the best breaking ball of the night by far from Cingrani."
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 04-19-2013 at 12:50 AM.

Off topic but I truly believe Welsh reads this forum a lot. I noticed how he talked about the slider/curve debate before Cingrani threw a pitch and I've noticed he often brings up things on the broadcast that are heavily debated here and only here. FWIW, I think Chris had developed into a great color man in the past decade.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    Off topic but I truly believe Welsh reads this forum a lot. I noticed how he talked about the slider/curve debate before Cingrani threw a pitch and I've noticed he often brings up things on the broadcast that are heavily debated here and only here. FWIW, I think Chris had developed into a great color man in the past decade.
    I have no idea if he reads it or not, but writers all over the internet have been talking about the "curve" from Cingrani in the past two weeks.

Blitz, I obviously didn't see the game from a TV angle (which is what I am used to watching him from), but looking at the Pitch F/X data I didn't see a slurve. A slurve would have more "horizontal break" than what Cingrani was throwing tonight which had the movement of a traditional slider.

I have no idea if he reads it or not, but writers all over the internet have been talking about the "curve" from Cingrani in the past two weeks.

Blitz, I obviously didn't see the game from a TV angle (which is what I am used to watching him from), but looking at the Pitch F/X data I didn't see a slurve. A slurve would have more "horizontal break" than what Cingrani was throwing tonight which had the movement of a traditional slider.
    For what it's worth they called it a curveball on the broadcast.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    For what it's worth they called it a curveball on the broadcast.
    But Cingrani himself called it a slider afterward.

The great debate lives on!

I'm steadfast in that it's a "slurve." It's not a true slider, not a true curve.

Not sure if you DVR the games, but if you do, go back and watch the 4th inning. You'll see a real nice slurve (or whatever you want to call it) from Cingrani and Welsh immediately talks about it. (Welsh calls it a "breaking ball.")

Turn Off Ads?