Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: i know it's three games but

Re: i know it's three games but

I've been watching Choo for a while, and Walt would be nuts not to lock him up for 3-4 years. The guy can hit, slug, and walk better than 80% of MLB leadoff guys, and he can run the bases. His arm on defense is just a bonus.

If Luddy is out for the year or possibly forever, Choo could be a huge asset to this club for years to come.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

I'm just enjoying the first legit leadoff man the Redlegs have had since Bip F. Roberts. I'll worry about the future in the future.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    The dude he replaced is hitting .143 with 5 K's in 14 at bats, and hasn't scored a run.
    Sounds like Jay Bruce. 7 Ks in 14 PA for .077/.143/.154/.297. But he has scored 1 run.

It's early for everybody.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I agree with signing choo long term. It has nothing to do with the first three games.
    Choo is perfect for the Reds. I've said it for a long time now. I also think it's going to be incredibly difficult to have someone so good on the team for just one year and then let him go. That might be the "right" thing to do, but it's going to be hard for management to have the courage of their convictions given that one year is almost certainly the plan, and the fans are almost certainly going to pressure mgmt to sign him.

Choo's attitude and work ethic seem to fit right into the Red's clubhouse as well. I'd love to see the FO work out a 3-4 year deal with Choo. Maybe Choo will fire Boras and hire Jay Z!

Quote Originally Posted by jhu1321 View Post
    Choo's attitude and work ethic seem to fit right into the Red's clubhouse as well. I'd love to see the FO work out a 3-4 year deal with Choo. Maybe Choo will fire Boras and hire Jay Z!
    5 years 80 million...

Get it done...

Alot of people have underestimated Choos speed on here but he can run maybe not as fast as Stubbs but he has good speed. I live in Northeast Ohio so i've seen him play plenty of times. He also has a cannon of an arm maybe stronger than Bruces so people aren't gonna be going for extra bases on him. Some more balls might drop this season but people aren't gonna be going far with Choo and Bruce firing those baseballs back to the infield

Choo and Hamilton are not "either or." Nor is it clear Hamilton will be ready to start in CF next April. He could be a fourth outfielder for awhile.

I can see a scenario where Ludwick (if healthy), Choo, and Bruce continue into next year for the Reds. Ludwick could get traded off eventually or his contract will expire. Hamilton begins as fourth outfielder and eventually takes over in CF.

Of course, it's hard to see where Heisey then fits in. But who knows how it would play out.

Point is that next year's a long way off and there are various scenarios where Choo will still make sense for the Reds on a longer term basis. Right now, I think the guy is terrific.

10. Likes:

remdog (04-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I would also agree with signing Choo, but for LF not CF.

If the Reds can package Ludwick (once he returns) with Leake- perhaps to a team like SD to fill other organizational needs, I'd be completely for it. Especially if Cingrani continues to pitch the way he did tonight.

Ludwick and Leake for Max Fried and Austin Hedges? Sign me up!

That said, I also wouldn't be devastated to let Choo walk (and take the extra first round pick) if he wants too much. Reds do need a cleanup hitter, and Choo is slightly less interesting once he gets bumped by Hamilton out of the leadoff spot.
    He already played in SD and has said many times that playing in SD is what destroyed his confidence as a player and why there was a dip in his numbers. I do not think SD or Ludwick would want any part of that trade.

I don't go beyond 3 years with Choo. Maybe an option for a 4th. If he wants more than that, I think we have to let him walk. I don't want any more significant position player commitments past 2015/2016. If anything, we'll need to use money at that point for the pitchers.
    Go BLUE!!!

13. Likes:

mth123 (04-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
    He already played in SD and has said many times that playing in SD is what destroyed his confidence as a player and why there was a dip in his numbers. I do not think SD or Ludwick would want any part of that trade.
    Fair enough, although I do think SD would be very interested in local product Mike Leake.

Leake for Fried is another deal I consider, especially with the emergence of Tony Cingrani. You still have Corcino as your backup/6th starter and heir to Arroyo's spot in 2014. Then use the savings on Leake's arb-eligible 2013-2015 salaries and use it to lock up Choo for 3 more years. Or Latos. Or Bailey.

Fried has drawn comparisons to Sandy Koufax. Both Jewish, immensely talented left-handed pitchers. Would love to have him in our system to pair with Stephenson and Travieso to make up the core pitching staff of the second half of Joey Votto's contract.
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-05-2013 at 03:02 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

I doubt an extension is possible, but one thing I've always liked about Choo is that he always seems to do something good in every game. When he was with the Tribe, it seemed that even if he went 0-5, he either moved a runner over, made a nice defensive play, or just has long AB's wearing down the pitcher. He's just really good at baseball.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

LOL at the negative responses.

I've wanted to acquire Choo since 2009. Love the guy and always felt he is just what this team needed. Always had that high OBP and is simply a gamer.

3 games has nothing to do with it. What you've seen in the first 3 games is exactly who he is all the time.

Sign him.

I'm not convinced Billy Hamilton will ever make the majors anyway. And not convinced he'll be as good as Choo is for leadoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I'm not convinced Billy Hamilton will ever make the majors anyway. And not convinced he'll be as good as Choo is for leadoff.
    When it comes down to the prospect you are hoping to be as good as the proven player, or that proven player...generally you should go with what is already tangible.

Billy Hamilton has huge potential in the majors...he'll benefit from being brought along slowly though.

Choo's plate presence and fielding bring a lot to this team whether or not we already have Hamilton up. I would move Heisey/Ludwick before letting Choo go.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

I would really love to hear that logic that makes somebody thinks Hamilton won't make it in the majors. Could he bust? Sure, every prospect could. I don't see why anyone would think that, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

19. Likes:

TheBigLebowski (04-07-2013)

Turn Off Ads?