Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chapman's deceptiveness

Chapman's deceptiveness

We all know he throws hard, but he doesn't get much, if any, movement on his fastball. How is he making these hitters look so bad? It can't purely be velocity. Kyle Farnsworth proved that wrong.

I thought this was interesting:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEpdoAZiHWQ

Josh Hamilton had this to say about his deceptive fastball last night:

"It doesn't look like 98, 99," Hamilton said. "I've faced guys who throw 94 and it looks harder than that. But it just kind of comes out of nowhere. It's kind of weird. That makes it challenging. ... I couldn't figure out where his arm slot was. That's a problem. You just try to look in a general area."

2. Likes:

Always Red (04-05-2013), bigredmechanism (04-05-2013), mbgrayson (04-05-2013), Red Raindog (04-05-2013), Trajinous (04-05-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Chapman's decepiveness

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post

"It doesn't look like 98, 99," Hamilton said. "I've faced guys who throw 94 and it looks harder than that. But it just kind of comes out of nowhere. It's kind of weird. That makes it challenging. ... I couldn't figure out where his arm slot was. That's a problem. You just try to look in a general area."

You would think that if Chapman was a starter, his level of deceptiveness would decrease as hitters saw him more often in a game.

I think that there are few tidbits from that incredible video that have to do with this. The fact that he uncocks his arm in about 1/3 the time of an average pitcher must make it incredibly difficult to pick out an origin point for the pitch. It's almost as if you never see his hand release the ball. Not to mention it's probably a foot and a half closer to you than the average pitcher, meaning that you gain about 5 effective MPH. It's like trying to hit 105 to 108 MPH heat when you never see the guy's hand.

Edit: The more I learn about him, the more unbelievable his talent becomes.
    2014 Reds record: 1-2

I look like a banker in this...

Thanks for sharing that - really interesting!
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Missing a "t" in that title thread...
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Really cool stuff! That stride is amazing!

So what accounts for these disparities? Is it training or is he physically superhuman?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    It's a new kind of deceptiveness that Chapman created and only he has.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

11. Likes:

RedEye (04-05-2013), RedFanAlways1966 (04-05-2013)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Re: Chapman's deceptiveness

"It doesn't look like 98, 99," Hamilton said. "I've faced guys who throw 94 and it looks harder than that."
    I can only assume he means that it looks significantly faster than 98/99.

But those are interesting comments from Hamilton. I also loved his reaction to that first slider Chapman threw him on OD.

It's there, you just can't see it, the OP's arm hides the release point of the "T"
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

14. Likes:

bigredmechanism (04-05-2013), RedEye (04-05-2013), redsmetz (04-05-2013)

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Over the years I am more convinced that true athleticism means long arms/legs and big hands. Everything else seems to fall into place if you've got that.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

When batters dial in on a pitcher, they tee ("T") off on him.

Chapman is such _he opposi_e, _ha_ here are no "_'s" allowed whenever you _alk abou_ him.

In a relattted stttory, former Reds piIcher Terict Tmilttttont stopped by to watch the Reds on Opening Dayt.

Last edited by Brisco; 04-05-2013 at 12:04 PM.

17. Likes:

blumj (04-05-2013), Chip R (04-05-2013), jhiller21 (04-05-2013), RedEye (04-05-2013), texasdave (04-05-2013)

Would be interesting to know Cingrani's measures in these areas. He is said to benefit from a deceptive delivery as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Would be interesting to know Cingrani's measures in these areas. He is said to benefit from a deceptive delivery as well.
    My one takeaway from last year on Tony when he was in Cincy (and I don't know how to put it into words well so I won't try) was how interesting his delivery was.

Last night Marty and Jeff kept saying how he can't just throw fastballs. They need to watch this video.,

Turn Off Ads?